I thought I would be titling this post, "Welcome to Hell," but it really wasn't that bad.
Day One
At 8 am I took Sophie in and told her she gets to wear big girl underwear! She said, "Nooooo!" and I ignored her and took off her diaper and put on her Belle underwear anyway, she liked that. She willingly threw away all her remaining diapers and pull-ups. I watched her like a hawk for 5 hours telling her every 5 minutes, "tell mommy if you need to potty ok?" and "keep your new underwear dry ok?" But NOTHING happened!! Until, of course, I had to nurse Tessa. I looked away from those pretty little Belle undies for 2 seconds to help Tessa eat (Sophie was still right in front of me) when I looked up Sophie was having an accident. I put Tessa on the ground and ran Sophie into the bathroom and sat her on the potty, but it was too late. The other 2 accidents happened in almost the same way. GOOD NEWS! She did just go on her potty, right now. I heard her stirring in her room as I was writing this post and took her in, I'm so glad she did it once!!
So at the end of day one of potty training here's what I've learned:
- Sophie can hold it for a long time!
- I can't let her out of my sight for even a second.
- cleaning pee off the floor isn't that different than off her bottom
- I need to get her to drink more so she has more opportunities
Wish us luck for tomorrow! I will be amazed if she's done on Wednesday, but we'll keep at it.









7 comments:
Way to go Sophie! Good luck tomorrow!
Haha...I'm glad it's not as bad as you thought. Good luck tomorrow! And...I love your new family picture at the top of your blog! It is SO cute!!!
Eliza once held it in all the way from the Charlotte, NC airport to my Mom's house in SLC. She was using her potty but hated public bathrooms (loud flushers!) and she refused to go in her pull up at that point, so she held it the ENTIRE DAY of travel. It was crazy.
Anyway. Here's some unsolicited advice. I had a timer. Every 15 minutes it would ding and I'd place her on the potty. I'd get her a book, put her in front of her favorite movie, etc. If she didn't need to go and lost interest, I'd let her get up and play. When the timer dinged, I repeated the process. Once she made the connection and saw my excitement, I put the timer away. She got it.
Another thing I did was taped a sucker high on the wall and told her she could have it as soon as she put pee pee in the potty. Just a few suggestions!
I bought Elise root beer to help her drink more, because she loves that stuff and carbonated stuff makes you need to go more. Good job keep up the good work.
Oh my goodness.....Good work Jessica (and Sophie) :) Can you imagine, I hear boys are even harder. Ahhh!!!!
It's nice to have one success to look at! I hope today is going well!
Good luck with Day 2 of potty training! By the way, I LOVE the picture of your family at the top of your blog - so cute!
Post a Comment