Friday, August 7, 2009

pioneer day

My Utah visit post saga continues...

Dan, Joni and I ran a 10k (6.2 miles) in Orem on the 24th.  We were sad that both Matt and Jack who registered were unable to participate due to injuries!  But the rest of us had good time climbing "Goliath" (remember we're in OREM... hence the scriptural reference).  Goliath was a hill that gained over 500 ft in elevation over about a mile!  Yeah, it was crazy hard, way steep and way long!!  But after that the rest of the race was basically down hill.  I passed a lot on the hill because I had trained a lot for that I was prepared... what I didn't train for was all the DOWNHILL.  You'd think that would be easy right?  I struggled, I guess it uses different muscles I hadn't trained much.  Anyway, here are our times:  Joni finished in 48:32 (3rd place), Dan in 51:00, and Jessica 51:07 (2nd place, by ONE SECOND).

I was ahead of Dan the whole race until he passed me right before the finish line, the stinker!  It was really my fault though.  My legs were shot and I was a baby and walked from like the 5.5 mile point to the 6 mile, that's when he caught me.  My consolation was being so SORE I couldn't go up or down stairs for 3 days, so I knew I had pushed myself hard.  Sorry, I could talk about running forever... I'll stop now. :)

July 2009 311 race - Dan winning and Jess wrong way  July 2009 313 race - Tess and Gpa July 2009 309 July 2009 330  July 2009 349July 2009 335

My parents were kind enough to watch our girls while Dan and I took much needed showers.  So I missed the playground's maiden voyage... check this thing out!!  My dad MADE this himself with no plans or help of any kind, impressive eh?  Sophie loved it.

Sophie and grandpa's playground the whole playground July 2009 351

That evening we went to a Chapman family Luau in my in-law's gorgeous backyard.  We had good food followed by dancing and a limbo.  It was so fun to see family we don't see often enough!  Had to throw in the picture of Tom with his burnt zucchini, that was too funny.  He put it in the oven to keep it warm before dinner and we didn't find it until the party was over and the food was burned onto the pan.

July 2009 367 July 2009 382 July 2009 383 July 2009 389  July 2009 391July 2009 399 July 2009 412 July 2009 420 July 2009 416 July 2009 431

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

I like your new font! I love the luau pix. You look like a pretty mean limboer too. Must be all the gymnastics classes! The girls matching Hawaiiam dresses are cute.

Summer said...

You seriously impress me. Tyler and me can't run together because I run so slow. I can barely do 3 miles and I die. You are amazing.