Friday, June 15, 2012

front yard

Speaking of yards: Dan and Matt did a TREMENDOUS amount of work trimming the pine tree in the front yard back in March.  It had branches down to the ground and dead pine needles that had pilled up over years of neglect that filled several 30 gallon trash bags!  I wish I had taken a before picture, but I just have one of the front of the house, that just shows a bit of the tree on the left side.  It took the guys all day to clean it up, but it made SUCH a difference!  We had neighbors coming over to tell us that the tree had NEVER looked so good. It was a really big improvement.  I've been told by a few reliable sources that we will need to cut the tree down eventually, but I don't want to think about that now.  You wouldn't believe the volume of tree limbs involved in trimming it up.  It took us a couple months of putting out 5 bags a week (our trash service's limit on green waste) to get rid of all of it!   And look, there's a border and landscape rocks!  We had no idea. :)  Yay.

before:

01 03_house front number blacked out house front

after:

pine tree trimmed up 3 pine tree trimmed up

Thanks so much for coming out to help Matt and Cami!  They even got us these stately shrubs for our front door AND a new welcome mat as house warming gifts.  (Matt said our old one was an UNwelcome mat) I really really LOVE them.  I practically skip out to water them everyday, totally look forward to it.  Thank you so much guys!

 

new shrubs matt and cami front door new door mat

And you can't see him too well in that picture, so here's a close up of our gnome.  Dan's other brother Jason gave us this little guy, as is the tradition when any of the Chapmans buy a home, Jason gives them a gnome for their yard.  Jason doesn't wrap it up or anything, he just puts him in the yard for you to find later.  Silly Jason!  Sophie calls him Gnomeo (from the Gnomeo and Juliet movie) and tries to sneak up on him to see if she can catch him coming to life. :)  He welcomes all who come to our front door, and thanks to our wonderful family, it's presentable!  Sure I can list off things I'd like to do the the outside of the house (replace the gold lights and door handles/kick plates, and house number, with aged bronze, PAINT!) but it's just baby steps, only a few things at a time right?  More home-improvement projects to come!

 gnomeo the gnome

7 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

Cute, cute, cute house! I know it's a bit overwhelming all of the things you want to do to your house. I can't believe we've been in our house a year. There is still SO SO SO much I want to do and I thought I'd have a lot more done by now, but you're right...baby steps it is! Eventually we'll get there. :)

Ann said...

But does your gnome talk? Didn't think so! :)

Kristen said...

beautiful!! i love your new home!

mommaquincy said...

You are doing good work! A house is a lot to take on and you have a lot of years to get it done!

Nate said...

Jessica it's adorable! I'm trying hard here not to be jealous. Those guys did a great job on the tree. I hope you're enjoying your house and having some extra space!

Amy said...

I painted all of our door knobs inside the house with spray paint - it went pretty fast and they look and hold up great! If you ever want me to, I'd love to come over and help you out. The kids can play and I will help you spray all the gold away... :) Seriously though... I just helped a friend paint her kitchen and office. Call me if you want a project day.

Jenelle said...

Beautiful home! Congrats and great job on the yard. Looks like a lot of hard work, but it paid off.