Sunday, August 30, 2009

2 year old for sale

Blonde hair, blue-eyed beauty!  She loves to sing, dance, eat sweets, and cuddle.  The perfect addition to any family!  She isn't house quite house trained but comes with her own potty and 30 pairs of underwear.  We are taking offers.

Last night was the absolute WORST.  I had this bright idea to wake Sophie up at 3 AM and relieve herself so perhaps she wouldn't be so overwhelmed in the morning and could make it to the bathroom.  The first part worked, I took her in and she did her "business" half-asleep and then it clicked... I saw the look in her eyes when she figured it out.  She said that she needed to stay on the potty.  I obliged, in case she had some more... eh... serious business to do.  Well, nothing happened and I put her back in bed and closed the door.  Not one minute later she started to cry to sit on the potty again.  This went on for 2 hours!!  Sometimes I would let her cry it out for awhile until I got too scared that she'd wake Tessa or that she really was making a mess in her underwear (which she had a couple times).  Finally at 5:30 I had had ENOUGH of her (and definitely not enough sleep) I lost it.  My MONSTER MOM came out; I yelled at her and told her to stop crying and go to sleep, told her that she couldn't sit on the potty anymore.  I left her whimpering in her room and we all slept in until 8.  When she had an accident upon waking anyway.  Never again.  Holy cow, I am so frustrated!

My only plan is to ride it out and hope she gives up, I just hope I don't first.  I know she is capable, just enjoying her new found control over mom and dad.  I think this is more than a 3 day process and we'll be working with her for awhile yet, hopefully with little improvements here and there.

On the bright side, she still holds it all day and doesn't have accidents unless she's in her room alone.  Which is not as bad as it would be in public.

Something else I've figured out is that positive reinforcement doesn't work for Sophie.  I know it sounds crazy, and I didn't believe it at first so I kept doing it for awhile.  All kids are supposed to love it when you congratulate them and get excited right?  WRONG.  Sophie hates it.  I used to jump up and down, do a little dance and hug Sophie whenever she got it in the potty (just as every book tells you to do) but she wouldn't react except scowling and looking at the floor.  When I asked her if she wanted a treat, that's when she perked up.  So I guess technically, positive reinforcement DOES work but just not verbal forms?  Maybe it embarrasses her, I don't know.  But now I just say, "good job, Soph."  And leave it at that.  I'm trying to figure out what is "positive" for Sophie other than treats.  For only being 2, she sure is complicated!

Seriously though, I love my little firecracker and she's not for sale... but I may consider a 1 month loan... IF she comes back potty trained. :)

11 comments:

Falen said...

I totally understand your frustration!! I wish I had some answers for you, but I dont. I am actually looking for some of my own. It must just be an age thing, so try to look at it that way instead of thinking that your child is the only one acting out. That is hard for me to do sometimes.
I will throw my 2 year old into the deal too, How does buy one get one free sound?? :) Hang in there!!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Okay...So I've read all the positive ways to help you. (Because I all the ideas I can get for when Porter is ready!) But I will give you an idea from my sisters book. When she knew her son was understanding and still wetting his pants she told him "If you want to be wet, you WILL get wet." And if he had an accident he got a COLD shower. She figured he KNEW what he was doing and just being a stinker, she also knew he was going to have wet clothes. So she would put him in a cold"ish" shower with his already soild clothes and all! Totally worked, but this is also my sister who gives her son hot sauce if he bites! You can take it or leave it!

Megan said...

Sometimes I feel I would like to sell Blake. I haven't even thought about potty training, and I don't want to. So sorry I don't have any advice. I would love to run the SLC 1/2 marathon, this time I would train to be a little faster. It's crazy the TOU is only $30 and I think SL is like $60 so I am like I could get a new pair of shoes for $60. I really want to do a full marathon.

mommaquincy said...

I will take her! For a month or a day or a week or whatever! How about flying her out early? Actually, I'm guessing that someone who doesn't care about the potty training as much would have an easier time of it. Of course she'd find another way to push my buttons. Maybe she needs a week at Aunt Laura's? She's potty trained more kids than anyone I know.

Missy said...

Okay, this is Missy, your cousin Tyler's wife. I came across your blog from your mom's and am feeling your pain. I've potty-trained four so far (no where near Laura's number), and with each one I let them decide when they would do it. If Sophie's only two she might not be ready yet. All I can say is when they want to do it, it will happen overnight. In the meantime diapers might not be a bad option for now and forgo all the frustration. Kiersten was about 2 1/2, my boys were both over 3, and Ashlyn didn't until she was 3 years and 3 months (we happened to be in Las Vegas swimming and I could tell she was holding but really needed to go, so we took her and that was it with hardly any accidents). Don't be afraid to stop and try again later.

Good luck!

Mindee said...

Have you tried picking out a special toy for being totally potty-trained? I gave Rachel a sticker every time even a tinkle came out in the potty & then she got to have a princess chair with matching pillows, when all the places for stickers were filled up. If she had an accident- one that was "on purpose" or because she didn't go when I said- she lost a sticker. Once I started doing that, she was day & night trained by her 3rd birthday.

I know how difficult training can be now, thanks to Sam. Every kid really is different. He loves stickers, but it does nothing for him to go potty. ??? and he'll be 3 in 3 months, so who knows! Good luck Jess!!!

Jenelle said...

Good luck! Madi is almost 18 months old, so we'll be doing the same thing before we know it! It's hard because what works for one kid might not work for the rest so it's hard to know what to do sometimes! You are such a cute mom. Hang in there and let me know what ends up working! :)

Heidi said...

Hi Jessica! This is your cousin Heidi. Are you tired of everyone's 2 cents? I HATE potty training so I feel your pain! I can only tell you what my experience has been, potty training my three kids...but my experience is like Missy's. None of my kids were reliable till they were three. They could use the potty before that, but the desire wasn't there. When they were ready, they almost did it themselves.
Good luck! Motherhood is not for wimps, is it? :) I hope things look up soon.
By the way--I love to read your blog, and your girls are absolutely beautiful.
Love, Heidi

Erin said...

I have to say I agree with whomever Missy is. Third time was the charm for us. Sam was probably 2 years and 3 months the first time, 2nd time was 2 1/2 and that one almost stuck, then we had Maggie. He is turning 3 this month and is finally consistently coming and telling us and going on his own!

Lisa Nielsen said...

Jess, you poor thing...wow, I am really not looking forward to potty training. You will make it through. She will get it. Good luck! You are a great mom, so don't worry!!!

Ambs said...

I've got one dolla one dolla one dolla! can I hear two! two dolla two dolla two dolla! SOLD! The un potty-trained child to the lady in the back for two dollars!