We went to Safeway tonight to pickup some snacks for our drive tomorrow. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot Sophie was saying, "car please!" She remembers that Safeway has carts with plastic cars on the front and Wal-Mart does not. I prepped her that the cars might be "all gone" since that has happened before and the disappointment rendered a screaming disaster the rest of the trip. Lucky us, there was a HUGE 2-seater available.
Side note: this cart was so big it could seat 4 children, two up front facing mom and 2 in the car! I pity the mother of 4 kids that young who has to go grocery shopping with them all. It looked something like this:
Tessa was asleep in her car seat and we placed her on the front sort of over where the usual spot for a kid (or two) to sit in a cart. Leaving the basket open to throw junk food into. The car seat usually will settle down lower but for some reason the angles were all wrong and it was really high up. Fortunately, Dan was driving the cart (it's a male ego thing) and he's tall enough to see over the car seat. After a little shopping Dan remembered he had a check to put in the bank at the front of the store and wanted to do so before it closed so he left and I continued shopping.
Let me just say I HATE these carts! They are so hard to maneuver; I am always close to knocking down displays as I try to negotiate turns down isles, I always miss-judge how big it is. I feel like Cruella Devil behind the wheel of her huge long car.![]()
Well not a minute after Dan leaves me, I am innocently strolling down an isle in the pharmacy when I feel a bump... I figure Sophie has taken her shoe off and I just drove over it so I continue forward to collect the shoe when I hear someone say, "EXCUSE ME!!" My heart stops... I look around my gargantuan cart to find an elderly man ON THE GROUND! "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. I couldn't see you!" He must have been crouched down looking at something on the bottom shelf, so I couldn't see him when I RAMMED THE CART INTO HIM. He doesn't answer my apology, just glares at me, picking himself up. I can only wonder what he thinks of me. "I'm so sorry. Are you ok?" All he says to me is, "fine." And continues to give me an angry look. I don't know what else to do besides walk away, more embarrassed than I have been in a long time.
Why did I let Dan leave me with that monster cart? I guess I need to start shopping somewhere else, so I don't ever run into that man again. Pun intended.









7 comments:
What a crotchety old man! Sounds like maybe he had it coming ;)
I'm sorry but I am laughing so hard! I soooo wish I could see that on video. I'm only laughing hard because I completely understand. I'm always running into things with those carts. They are really hard to see around especially with a car seat on top.
No, you are definitely not the Cruella type! They really should make those carts for shorter people! Not everyone is a Dan! I can't wait to see you guys! Well, actually I'll wait until Thursday morning! I'll let you get to sleep tomorrow night!
Oh my gosh!!! That is terrible. I would have died!!! I hate those carts and try to walk by them as fast as I can when I have the kids with me. I'm sorry that happened!
I feel bad that I'm laughing, but that's just because I know how you feel about those carts. I finally ended up being the mean mom and we don't use those anymore. They are awful and should never have been invented. I'm sorry that happened to you!
That poor old man! I wonder what Sophie thought as her mom rammed him. J/K I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Chances are low you'll see him again, and he's unlikely to be able to ram you back. love ya
Oh I'm sorry, but that is just too funny! I haven't used one of those carts since I babysat my nephews, but I know how huge they are. Heck, I run into stuff just using a regular cart! :) I hope you guys have a fun trip!
Post a Comment