Ready or not, here we come! Dan has spring break next week and we've decided we're going to make the drive out to Utah for the first time as a family. It's an 8 hour drive... for adults so I plan on closer to 10 with 2 kids (one who nurses every 3 hours). Wish us luck!! I'm pretty nervous and looking for ideas of how to survive a road trip with kiddos on the back seat. I'm thinking the portable DVD player is must, but what else? what works for you?Monday, March 9, 2009
ROAD TRIP!
Ready or not, here we come! Dan has spring break next week and we've decided we're going to make the drive out to Utah for the first time as a family. It's an 8 hour drive... for adults so I plan on closer to 10 with 2 kids (one who nurses every 3 hours). Wish us luck!! I'm pretty nervous and looking for ideas of how to survive a road trip with kiddos on the back seat. I'm thinking the portable DVD player is must, but what else? what works for you?
Posted by
Jessica
at
10:12 AM
Labels: Family Outings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









8 comments:
Well, considering we just made the same trip I highly recommend the DVD player as you already mentioned, but unfortunately the other things that seemed to work best for us were "new stuff". I had brought a lot of the girls favorite things to play with, but after being in the car for 3 hours they were not interested in thier usual favorites. So, I recommend trying new snacks, new books, new movies, new toys, & anything else new you can think of. I know that may sound expensive, but I would be willing to borrow you some books, movies, and toys to take. The dollar store is also an awesome place to stock up on cheap & entertaining road trip items!! Oh, and last but not least...try to travel at night. We left at night on the way out & in the afternoon on the way back & lets just say the drive out was much better than the drive back.
US TOO! Don't you just love SPRING BREAK!!! We are headed to Kirtland,OH to visit Jason's parents who are serving a mission there. Our drive is about 6 hours.
I love Jason's parents to DEATH, and they spoil us like crazy when we are out there. But, I do have to say I wish I were going to Utah instead!! Eat some Cafe Rio for me!
How fun!! I don't have any suggestions for you on how to entertain the little ones..but I hope you have a great Spring Break!! I know I shouldn't be jealous because I was JUST in Utah last week...but somehow I still am. :) Have fun!!
After traveling from Colorado Springs to Salt Lake and back last summer, I would also recommend traveling at night(we didn't)if you two can manage. The nine hour drive took us 13. Anyway, I would also plan strategic stops like a park or McDonald's play place where Sophie can get out and run around and get out some of that energy. We found taking a little longer stop meant less stops and more toleration of getting back in the car. The other things that really helped were children music CD's and singing along with them. Finally, it was easier for some of the trip for me to just be in the back seat because I got tired of turning around. For some reason it really settled down Elijah just to see and touch me and be closer.
Exciting! I wish we were in Utah and could see you guys. But at least we get to see you again in a couple of months!
I think that its a good idea to get out and take a walk or play in a park. Junk food helps the driver stay awake. "Late Last Night" still works to make the trip more fun. I'll send it home with you!
We always drive the 8 hour drive to Lake Powell at night. Nathan and I leave home about 6 pm and drive all night stopping when the kids need something but for the most part they eat at dinner time then they sleep pretty much the entire trip. In my opinion it's the only way to drive travel with kids!!! Good Luck!
Sounds like an adventure!!! But so exciting to be coming home. When Tyler and I travel, we try to take a book on CD....it helps to pass the time. But for the little munchkins, my mom always planned "surprises" that she gave us throughout the long drive. It was fun to have something new to do or play with, or eat.....
Post a Comment