So when we moved in our house had these lovely, SHINY GOLD door knobs. One day I was complaining about mine and my awesome friend Amy told me she painted hers… WHAT!!???!?! I knew that you can paint “anything” and make it look new, but really, door knobs? I wouldn’t have had the confidence to do it if I didn’t know someone who had tried it.
Here they are before:
This is the paint I choose, Rust-oleum Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze color, it worked wonderfully.
Amy taught me that the trick is to do many VERY LIGHT coats, and let them dry fully in between coats. The first few were just a dusting to give the knobs texture for the paint to grab onto coats that are too thick would drip off.
They are starting to look more oil rubbed bronze! I was so excited.
I think they’re ready!!
I let them dry a full 24 hours before we installed them to make sure they wouldn’t scratch. I feel like it’s made a huge difference in my home, seriously the best $14 I ever spent! Replacing them with new knobs would have cost much much more, I didn’t figure it all out, but at least $500 for the knobs alone, not to mention all of the hinges. It brought my home out of the 90’s. A HUGE thanks to Amy, she even came out to my house to show me what to do! Don’t you think they look so much better?
My kids came up with some fun ways to entertain themselves while I painted. Tessa has the jump rope tied from her bike to the back of Jacob’s and she was pulling him around. They both enjoyed it. Sophie loves to tie her jump rope to trees, she’ll pretend it’s a swing and she’ll “Tarzan” from it, or she’ll tie herself up and ask for someone to come save her. I love their creativity!









3 comments:
wow! That is awesome! Good job frugal mama!
You are good! And your kids are adorable!
They look great! Glad I could help the anti-gold movement. :)
Post a Comment