Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I wish you…

happy new year pic w clovers

I think this image is perfect, it marries the time period I am blogging about to the actual time of year it is currently.

I don’t usually set goals for the new year.  Dan told me not to this year, he says that if you call it a new year’s resolution then you won’t do it, because no one does.  Hogwash.  Really what happened is that I decided that I want to organize my home better one day in January, so I am calling it my new year’s resolution! Ok, so here’s my goal:

Organize 1 closet (or space) a month for 2011!

Why am I mentioning it to you?  Accountability.  This is a big motivator to me!  So I will report back to you on the blog at the end of each month showing the closet I’ve re-organized. 

The reason I want to do this is to make more space in our apartment, we are going to be a family of 5 in our 1,100 square foot apartment this year and we are going to need more space!  And since buying a house isn’t quite on the horizon yet (blame my accounting/finance background, but I really want 20% down!) I plan to make the best of where we are at so we can save the maximum amount and get the best loan possible.

Here are my spaces for January and February:

January’s was pretty easy.  I organized our coat closet.  First of all, we are very grateful to have a coat closet, a first in our marriage of almost 7 years.  It also doubles/triples as our luggage and vacuum/broom/mop storage.  All I did was: 1) go through the coats and donate a bunch we haven’t worn in years, and 2) buy some storage bins (purchased from Wal-Mart $22 the pair), one for the back pack/duffle bags and one for the hats and gloves.  I think it was a pretty big improvement and definitely more functional and easier to find and retrieve things from the top shelf without pulling down all of it’s contents.

coat closet before coat closet after

February’s space was a much bigger project.  I tackled the 3rd bedroom.  This was a priority because we had visitors coming to stay in February and I wanted to get it cleaned out so we could fit a queen size air bed plus a pack-n-play in there.  This poor room had become our dump.  Literally, we just dumped anything in the room that we didn’t know what else to do with, including broken appliances, unused furniture, boxes from recent purchases we wanted to hold onto in case we needed to return them, and even some boxes that hadn’t been unpacked from the move (since they were full of junk!) etc.  See for yourself… this is really embarrassing.  It was seriously like the whole room was just a big closet, with poor Tessa’s crib jammed in the back.

3rd bedrm before 2 3rd bedrm before 1

It took me a few hours to go through everything, not too bad.  All this cost me was a trip to the dumpster and another to the donation center for GoodWill.  It’s not perfect, it could use some more organizing and I need to sell the shelves on craig’s list, but when we remove the small table and chairs along with the high chair (which we needed in the dining area while our guests were around anyway); there was just enough room for the guest bed and their things! This was a very satisfying room to work on since the difference was so great from before to after as to the usefulness of the room.

3rd bedrm after 2 3rd bedrm after 1

I am really excited for my resolution this year and look forward to making more use of my space, preparing for this baby (we find out the gender a week from tomorrow by the way), and making everything in my home easier to find!  Do you have any organizing suggestions for me?  Stores or websites that are helpful?  Do you have a new year’s resolution you want to share?  I’m happy to hold you accountable if it would help!  I’ll post pictures of my March organization space once I take some after pictures.

Happy late New Year!! :)

8 comments:

Summer said...

I wish I was there. I am a little obsessed with organization. I am what some call an organization freak. I can't wait to see all the before and after.

Inspired said...

Well, afer you get everything organized, do what I call a 6 month purge. Every six months we go through our house and anything we haven't used or have too many of (toys), or we don't have a place to "put it away" we get rid of. It was hard at first, but now our family can just get rid of things because our house feels so much better, and it is SO liberating! My husband's motto is "We attach to people not things." So that helps when I am not sure about something. Also, I have found that when you get rid of something that later on you wish you still had, that same thing or something like it show up on sale or from someone, etc. It really is amazing!

mommaquincy said...

Nice job! Everything looked wonderful for us! I can't wait to see the next closet! And of course I'm excited to find out the sex of your baby!

Ann said...

You do know they have First time home buyers programs so you don't have to put 20% down. Your a great example to me, making the use of all your space. Oh and my goal this year is to have a baby, good enough or lame? :)

Jenny Kendall said...

I've been doing organizing too. Just made it through the space under the sinks... I really need to do something about my kitchen next.

Jenny Kendall said...

I have a resolution to not put on 10 pounds.

The Allens said...

Good job...everything looks great! That sounds like a great resolution. I have to say that organization is one of my favorite hobbies. Dorky, I know. Good luck!

Mary said...

Brave girl, posting before and after pictures of your house work! I never get to the after I desire, so I don't think I'll ever take a picture:)
Love,
Mary