Wednesday, March 16, 2011

20 week ultrasound

it's a boy!

I had my 20 week ultrasound today and we found out that we’re having a boy!  Dan was really surprised, I think that he had succumbed to the idea that he would only ever have girls.  Boy is he excited!  Don’t get me wrong he REALLY really loves his girls but there is just something about men, they want to have a son.  I wasn’t surprised, but I can’t say that I KNEW it was a boy either, just kind of thought so. :)

ultrasound - daniel and his boy

When the ultrasound tech told us it was a boy, Dan immediately asked, “are you sure?”  And asked her to check again.  She smiled and said she was sure, and after close inspection, we are pretty sure too. :)  Sophie seemed happy about it in the doctor’s office but had a small break down in the parking lot as the realization hit her that it wasn’t a sister.  She cried, “But I want a girl!”  I told her that we don’t get to choose if it’s a boy or a girl.  She had a good cry and then asked me if we could name him Super Why (from the PBS kids show) I told her that Mom and Dad would choose a name and would let her know what it is.  She has also suggested Sid (The Science Kid from the PBS kids show) and Navine (the prince from the Princess and Frog), I told her we’d take them into consideration. :)  She is such a good helper these days.

ultrasound - after jess soph couch ultrasound - tess doesnt care

Tessa liked pretending she could tell the white and black thing on the screen was a cute baby for a little while but by the end she had given up and didn’t care to have her picture taken with the rest of us.  She is REALLY sassy these days!

Everything looks good and healthy.  I was glad to see that he’s caught up in growth.  When I went in at 7 weeks he only measured at 6 weeks so I was afraid I would be going past my due date.  He was right on track for his size today, to the very day 20 weeks and 4 days exactly.  The tech did say that his legs are long, wonder whose fault that is…Daniel.  It’s fine for me as long as he doesn’t get an enlarged head. :)  We are so excited to welcome him into our family! Dan stayed to see the doctor with us afterwards and when she asked if we had any questions Dan had a good one, “So, how do you raise a boy?”  I’m wondering the same thing, yikes!

20 comments:

The Hulls said...

Woohoo!!! Congrats!! I'm so excited for guys! Oh, I love Sophie's names too, perfectly reasonable don't you think! :)

Nifty Nick said...

Congrats! That is soooo exciting! Nick and I were guessing another girl! Boys are so much fun, and I would ask the same question with raising a girl :-) Boys are all I know, girls I would be clueless
-Mandy

Kristen said...

how exciting! i'm so happy for your family! congratulations!!!

Ann said...

When you figure out how to raise a boy, send some guidence this way :) YAY! and congrats! My mom has a ton of boy quilts for us. All quilted and binded!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Oh you are going to have so much fun with a boy! They are so much fun and not even close to the drama that little girls come with! Don't get me wrong I love my little girl to death, Jason was glad she came early because I wouldn't stop until I had a girl. But there is just something about little boys...I have the best mama's boy and there is nothing better than to see your husband and his little buddy! Congrats you guys!

Mary-Anne said...

Ah...that's so exciting! How fun for your family.

Inspired said...

Awww...I am so excited for you! Boys are so fun! CONGRATS!!!

Summer said...

Boys are much easier, and cheaper, if that makes you feel any better.

Zac & Chelsea said...

Who knows, maybe you will think that boys are easier than girls. Zac asked the same thing at our ultrasound, 'are you sure?' The tech said, 'It doesn't get any better than that.' And Gavin is definitely all boy, but oh so much fun!

Kristie said...

Congratulations! I would definitely keep Navine in your list of names, Jessica. :) Seriously, so exciting you're pregnant and that you get to have both genders- so much fun. I'm happy for you and your beautiful family! Can't wait to see the new addition.

Crafty Momma said...

congrats!! you will looooove having a boy! I thought the same thing...but little boys have a special, different kind of place in your heart! I thought you might be prego again, checked your blog(after way too long :) and I was right! :D

Allie said...

Congrats! You will love a boy. Boys love their moms! Its so fun.

mommaquincy said...

Congrats!! You will be a pro at this! You are doing such a good job with Dan! I'm sure that Sophie and Tessa will love him no matter what you name him!

liz said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

The Allens said...

Yay! So excited for you guys! Boys are fun!

Anna said...

Such exciting news! Congratulations!

And it makes me think maybe there's hope for us :) Our lives have run pretty parallel with yours as of late, perhaps that means there's a boy in store for us too, someday? (a far away someday! but someday?)...

Hooray for baby boys!

Megan said...

Congrats! Boys are fun I am sure you have heard that. That will be fun to have both girls and a boy. When is your due date? I like all the names Sophie has I think they sound great. Ours would be similar.

Jenelle said...

Oh, how exciting! It is so much fun to have both genders. If your house is anything like ours, your girls will be dressing their little brother up in Princess stuff as soon as he's born. :) Hope the pregnancy continues to go well for you.

netcampbell said...

yea!!! Boy. That is so so exciting! I'm so happy for you guys.

Erin said...

Congratulations....that is so exciting! It's fun to have some of each...you'll love having a boy.