Monday, January 10, 2011

Ward Christmas Party (getting closer to Christmas)

ward cmas party - santa and sophward cmas party - tess hiding from santa

Sophie was SO into Santa this year, just talked about him nonstop throughout December (it’s still hard for her to realize Christmas is OVER and he’s not coming again for a LONG time.)  Hopefully you can see the sincere excitement in her face through her fake smile for the camera, because she was certainly excited!  Tessa was excited about Santa (probably because her sister was) but when it came down to getting near him, she was terrified.  We didn’t make her sit on his lap, she wouldn’t even take a candy cane from him!  She was crying because we were too close.  So Dan consoled her.

These next 2 pictures are the girls up front singing for Santa’s arrival.

ward cmas party - soph excited for santa 2 ward cmas party - tess singing for santa

This is Sophie and her 13 year old boyfriend, Kelton.  She loves him.  And Sophie with her friend Vincent, he looks jealous in this picture maybe because Sophie’s next to Kelton? j/k

ward cmas party - soph and kelton  ward cmas party - soph and vincent

By way of explanation, this is what we call our “Ward Christmas Party” but if you’re not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the “Mormon’s”) the word ward probably sounds more like a part of the hospital or something.  But in our church we call our congregations, wards and they are organized in geographical areas.  Even if you’re not a member your area is part of a ward too!  Anywhere in the world you can look up which ward and church building (as well as meeting times) you are closest too and go check it out!  (which I totally recommend)  If you are interested or just curious what we’re all about I recommend you follow the link I put above to mormon.org, where you can find a meeting house as well as get any questions you may have answered.  It’s a really cool site… I’m just sayin’…

Anyway, Here’s Tessa getting cheered up by Daddy.  He’s so much fun.

ward cmas party - tess and danward cmas party - tess smile

Since I’m on the subject, I want to take the opportunity to say how much we love our ward here.  Now, I grew up a member of the church living in Utah.  Been a member all my life.  Until we moved to Denver I’ve never been so invested in our ward though.  I think that primarily has to do with my age and “growing up.”  But I also feel like our ward is truly exceptional!  I love all the members of it so much, we’ve been here for just over 3 years now but I feel like they’re my family.  We’re definitely a heterogeneous group of people but our common beliefs are what bring us together.  All of the friends I’ve made and different people I’ve met make me a better, more complete, person.  It’s just so empowering to meet together often with others (from all walks of life) who share my same beliefs and values.  I’m really grateful to be here.  I get teary eyed whenever I realize that we probably won’t stay in this ward forever.  Someday we hope to buy a home a little further away from the city where there is more room for our kids to grow up (and the houses are much cheaper!).  I look forward to and dread that day at the same time, because I love it here so much! Love the ward, but apartment life… could be better. :)

Oh, and randomly… here’s a picture of Tessa’s goose egg she got that weekend running to the bathroom.  She tripped and fell, hitting her head on the corner of the door frame.  It was shocking and very scary how quickly hit swelled up like this!  I was almost the size of an egg.  Poor baby. tess bump

7 comments:

Erika Ellis said...

Great pictures! Our Christmas card to you came back. Did your address change? maybe you can call me.

Nicole said...

Holy moly-that's the biggest goose egg I've ever seen! Poor girl! Lucky for your girls, they're so cute they can pull of any look(including random bumps!)

mommaquincy said...

Such a great post! I think I want to check out your awesome church!

Mindee said...

Such cute girls... Sad goose-egg! :(

Leslie & Matt said...

Holy Cow! Ya-made me cry! I miss the ward SO much and sometimes forget that we aren't just "on vacation" :( That goose egg is HUGE & I would have freaked out!! Kids are amazingly resiliant. (have no idea how to spell that-HA!)

netcampbell said...

I hope Tessa is feeling better. Jessica those are really good pictures. I still having a hard time taking picture at night. By the way I know what you mean about loving Bible park ward. I still can't get over the feeling that I am not in that ward anymore. It is truly the best ward. We are still talking about how much we have learned and loved that ward.

Megan said...

What fun times! Sorry abour your one gray hair, good thing you couldn't find it again. Looks and sounds like you have a great ward. Sorry about Tessa's goose egg, Blake did that same thing smack in the middle of his head when he was about that age. It's looks like she's growing something there. Hope it's gone now.