Tuesday, January 25, 2011

being followed… {shudder}

imageThis morning I was behind schedule (which is, sort of like my schedule… since that’s how I usually am).  I intended to go running as soon as the girls were up and then get back, shower, and take Sophie to preschool.  But Tessa slept in late and I wasn’t ready to go when she woke up anyway, like I should have been.  So I rushed around and got us all ready to go realizing that I would have to just run Sophie straight to school, no time to come home and shower.  Oh well.  At least I’d get my run in.

So we set out on our run about 9:15, everything was as usual except the route since we were headed to school (which is just at the neighbor’s house).  I wanted to get 5 miles in before I got there so I was kind of looping around taking the long way when I saw a coyote in the field about 100 ft ahead of me to the right.  He didn’t see me coming so I tried to sniff my nose real loud to alert him to our presence and hopefully… scare him away.  He looked up and saw us and sort of ran into the field a bit but we were coming around a corner so he wasn’t any further away from us, plus it was just a field with no trees, he wasn’t hidden at all.  He was a good sized coyote.  So he crossed the trail in in front of us, I was surprised how un-concerned he seemed to be we were so close by, me with my HUGE double stroller with the bright yellow weather shield on I thought would be more intimidating!

 weather-shield

We passed him and kept going, but I had an eerie feeling… you know that being watched/followed feeling?  So I turn and looked back and saw him running behind me!!!  He wasn’t very close (I don’t know, like 2 or 3 car lengths)  but he was on the trail running towards us.  So I, of course, ran faster scared out of my wits!  I looked back again and he wasn’t on the trail anymore but walking on the side.  I was so uncomfortable, just hoping someone with a big dog would happen along and scare him off.  Where were the people?!  I see a person on the trail every couple minutes usually.  I was looking on the ground for a big stick as I ran, for a weapon… just in case?  I feel silly now saying that, but I was serious at the time.  I thought coyote's were supposed to be cowards!  But I had read that they hunt in 2’s and I was pretty sure there was only one so I kept reminding myself of that fact.  I decided to call Dan, for comfort.  I kept running (DUH, like I would stop here!) and called Dan 3 times (pretty sure he was in court, oops) until he answered.  I told him (panting hard) I was being followed, and he told me it probably was chasing something else and would leave me alone. I knew he was right but I still wanted him to talk me through it until I was out of the field area and in a neighborhood.  I kept checking over my shoulder and never saw the coyote again (not that I didn’t keep looking).  But MAN did that shake me up!!  I really need to get some pepper spray or mace (anyone know the difference?) so I feel more comfortable.  I was totally freaking out!  Have you ever been chased by a wild animal?  How do you keep your cool?  Am I irresponsible to go out running when I know they are there?  I’ve never heard any reports of them attacking people, just small dogs.  Am I over-reacting, would you have been scared?

Just found an image of this sign, they are posted all over the trails I run… looks like I should have read one before now.  Check out the 1st bullet point.

Coyotesignfinal

11 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

Yikes!! I would've been scared too. Once Nathanael and I were walking our dog on a trail by Jordan River and we saw 3 deer that started following us, and I was way scared of them! Deer are supposed to be harmless, but I thought for sure one of those deer was going to attack us. Wild animals are always kind of scary...probably because they are "wild"! Glad you're safe. :)

Ann said...

Remember animals WILL be animals. Just say a prayer before every run :)

Kristen said...

i would have totally freaked out! that's so scary!

Nicole said...

That would definitely freak me out too! Glad he didn't keep following you. You should talk to Jason about pepper spray. He's looked into it for a while for me.

The Hulls said...

I would have definitely been scared!! And I think you're amazing running while you're pregnant... maybe next time I'll be better at exercising when I'm pregnant! :)

Jason said...

Actually Sis I have been chased by moose, bear and feral dogs.

If you want to carry a spray I recommend pepper spray. It is effective on 2-legged wolved and the four legged kind.

Most dogs will flee if stand up to them.

mommaquincy said...

That sounds pretty scarry to me! I think that pepper spray is a very good idea! Maybe you need a big noisemaker on your stroller, too. I bet you got your heart rate up today!

Mary said...

Yikes! Min said he probably would have done exactly what you did--look for a weapon, so if you're crazy, so is Min:) Kind of a personal question, but do you wear garments while you run? It's one of the things that always makes me feel safe.

Kolbi Young said...

I keep pepper spray in my stroller cup holder for easy access. Mace is illegal in some states, so you may want to check that out....but pepper spray should do the job fine. I always feel safer having it with me - whether I encounter animals or crazy people :) Glad you made it home safe!

Anna said...

I would have been scared too! Yikes!

And on a much happier note, I am just getting caught up on your blog and read the exciting news about baby #3!! Hooray! And congratulations! SO exciting :) Baby will love her/his wonderful family.

Adam said...

Jessica - can I just say that you are terribly cool? I occasionally stop by your blog to see what your family is up to, and I love the coyote chase. A lady in our ward in Seattle named Nell Hyde was water-skiing on the Puget Sound when she was a young girl, and her dad (driving the boat) alerted her to the presence of a shark following her. She didn't dare let go for a very long time, and preferred not to ski after that.