Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sophie’s brown

soph's brown - on her faceIf you’ve been following my blog for awhile you’ve probably noticed that Sophie has a brown spot on her hand.  Sophie calls it, “my brown.”  You may have even read my posts debating what to do about it in the past (remove it or not, which procedure, and at what age).  With all the fretting that I have done over this little nevus (mole), it’s still around and nothing has been done (except fret, plan surgeries, cancel them and then fret some more).  But I am happy with it now, it’s taken me awhile, but I have decided that the best thing for Sophie is not to do anything drastic unless she chooses to do so when she is much much older.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that we went in to have it checked by the dermatologist.  Not because anything was wrong but because I was advised to do so every 2 years.

The check up was very very fast.  The doctor came in looked at Sophie’s hand for a minute, measured the nevus and told me she was perfect.  I had a few questions, which she answered.  And then we were done!

Basically her nevus is considered to be a small one as far as congenital nevi (moles present at birth) go and they have NO record of finding a malignancy in a small nevi of her size… EVER.  So the risk is really low, according to this doctor.  I say that only because every doctor I have talked to has told me a different likelihood of cancer.  That said, the majority of the reading I have done agrees with the doctor today that the risk is extremely remote, if at all that she will develop cancer in her nevus.

I feel more confident after speaking to this doctor that I know what to look for as signs of trouble (dark lumps or thick spots) as well as what is acceptable as far as hair removal (the nevus is hyper-pigmented skin so is the hair that sprouts from it, making it more noticeable, just like the black hairs we all can get in moles) for her in the future.

soph's brown - up in the airsoph's brown - tounge outsoph's brown - holding it out

I kind of feel silly that I wanted to get it removed at all in the past.  It’s not that I didn’t like it or something.  I was just scared.  Scared that it could become cancerous, and scared that she would be made fun of.  I still worry about that last one a bit, but not as much as I used to.  Sophie is a beautiful girl and she has all the confidence in the world.  I hope that confidence never goes away because that’s all she needs to face those mean comments that will likely come someday.  Even still, I’m glad that day’s not today. :)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for the update! I was actually wondering what you decided to do about it. I'm so happy to hear she has a very low chance, if ever, of having cancer from it.

I think it's a great choice to wait until she's order and let her decide. I definitely understand why you would worry about it and think of having it removed at a young age though.

The positives of it at least is that it's on her right hand, and not the one that wears a wedding ring. Not that it should matter, but stuff like that does matter to some.

Personally, I like little "quirks" like this, it separates them from everyone else and makes them even more unique.

ps i really like her outfit. I would totall wear that myself. and her hair is getting so long!

Zac & Chelsea said...

We all get made fun of for something or other, especially when we are young. There will always be 'those' kids that say something that you wish they wouldn't. But I guess in the end it just makes us stronger. Sophie is so stinkin' cute that they will probably not notice it. :)

mommaquincy said...

I love my Sophie, so its hard to imagine any part of her not being beautiful! Her brown is part of her, so I love it, too. She will probably be able to remember which hand is her right one to write with!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

As long as she is healthy, and since she is such a cute girl...I think it is adorable. It makes her who she is. Porter has a birth mark on his neck that I just love. It makes him special and I love him just they way he came! I'm sure you can agree:)