Friday, July 25, 2008

bye bye binkers

I'm happy to announce that Sophie is officially BINKY-FREE!!! For those of you who don't have kids you're probably wondering why I am posting on my blog about something so small. First of all, this blog is the only place (unfortunately) that I document this sort of thing. But second of all, it's a BIG deal to us! Anyway, on her first birthday we decided that she could only use her "binkers" while sleeping but it took us until she was 17 months to take it away completely. The first night she cried for about 15 or 20 minutes, nap time the next day it was about 5 min of crying, the second night she didn't cry at all! She hasn't mentioned it since. We are so proud of you SOPHIE!! Just goes to show how we were worried for no reason. I'm glad that we did it before she was overly attached. We didn't do it earlier because we were planning on Sophie having her surgeries this summer and wanted her to have every comfort (binky included) while she went through that hard time. Now we don't know when or if she'll ever have surgery. I am going to have a hard time throwing them out of the diaper bag though, because it makes a great mute button when Sophie is throwing a tantrum in public. But I will.... when I'm ready. :) Our next hurdle will be the bottle, I anticipate that being quite a bit harder, but hopefully I am wrong.

By the way, we get to find out the gender of our baby (if he/she cooperates for the ultrasound) a week from Wednesday!! Four other things I am very excited about (not that they effect any of you at all, I am just very EXCITED): 1. I just found out my sister Jenny will be coming to Utah for the weddings while we are there in a couple of weeks!! Wasn't planning on that, so that's GREAT. 2. Also, my grandma who lives by herself in Southern Utah finally listened to my dad and is putting her house up for sale so she can move up by her grandchildren! She decided to brave the cold winters because she doesn't want to spend another Thanksgiving or Christmas alone (don't blame her). I don't live in SL but I do visit there often so will get to see her much more! 3. We got approved for the 3 bedroom, we move in September. 4. We have 8 young women coming to girls camp! This is pretty amazing considering last year at this time we only had 1 active young women and 0 girls went to camp. Hurray for good news!!! I hope that you all have a list of exciting things as long as mine.

8 comments:

Ann said...

Hey Sophie! Jessica if it makes you feel better, when I was at Disneyland I saw tons of kids that were about 4 years old with Binky's! So you are doing great! Can't wait to see you guys!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Good job on the binki! Porter only gets his when he is sleeping. But has become more attached since his sister has one all the time. But I am happy to say that his bottle was gone on his 1st birthday!

Cami said...

Way to go! Hopefully she won't have any problems when the baby comes. And that's so great about your Young Women, that must be so rewarding.

mommaquincy said...

Hey my list of things to be excited about is very similar to your's. At least the first ones! When does Sophie take her bottle? Is it still just for her juice? Congrats on the Young Women going to camp. That gets them closer and more excited to come to everything else!

Anonymous said...

1.Reading your blog 2. you coming here. 3. Jenny coming here. 4. family coming here 5. Sleeping in XD!

jaredelizabeth said...

OK, so first of all congrats on the binky thing...we thought taking the bottle away would be torture and it was a piece of cake....good luck. Next, are you guys still walking every day because I feel seriously guilty about not keeping up....I'm going to die when I come back. Thirdly, WHERE ARE YOU MOVING??? Jared and I are thinking about 3 bedrooms, so I'm interested, but mostly, I just want to know where you are going to live...I need answers girl....I'm totally out of the loop here!!!

P.S. I'm so happy for you and the young women's thing....I'm also a little jealous!!!

Dannenbergs said...

The binky is a big deal. I was close to four before my parents finally called it quits. My mom said it was tramadic for me. I think it is smart to do before they become too attached. We can all sympathize with the reluctancy to discard your mute button though.

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

Wow! Congrats on the binki! Man! We only let Brinklee have it while she sleeps, but I think it has caused a greater dependency for it because now it is "forbidden". So every chance she gets, she'll sneak one in her mouth. My doc told me to get away from the bottle at a year, but she doesn't drink much milk, so we only give her one bottle at night and we have to make sure we brush her teeth afterwards. That was the deal.