Monday, July 7, 2008

Independence Day

We had a fun holiday weekend. We started celebrating on the 3rd by attending a free concert in the park put on by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra with our friends the Lawrences. They played all patriotic songs, which included "Battle Hymn of the Republic." I was surprised to hear a hymn in a non-church setting... especially in Denver. I really enjoyed the music, Sophie was a bit bored on the slow songs but danced to the songs with a beat. It was really great until it starting pouring rain. We ran under a tree and held the blanket over our heads. We left early so we could drop the Lawrences off at the airport. Sophie slept on her way home, you can't see it in the picture but she was drooling quite a bit. Oh and by the way, the thing on Sophie's head is my camera bag.

On the 4th we went swimming at our pool in the morning. Sophie has because quite the little fish and was excited to show off her new tricks to Dan. It was too hot to go out in the afternoon so we got things done around the house. We went to a park in the evening and had pizza. Sophie enjoyed playing in the sand with Dan. He would build little sand castles and she quickly smashed them. It was a lot of fun, just to spend time together as a family. We don't do that very often. Sorry the picture of us is so terrible, I should have checked it before I let Dan and Sophie go back to playing. I had just propped it up on the diaper bag and used the timer. Oh well, you get the idea!

Here are a few random pictures from the last week. Dan likes to do Sophie's hair in crazy ways in the bath. Sophie and I shared a blue Dum-Dum the in the morning and we enjoyed showing each other our blue tongues. This afternoon she pulled my clunky boots out of the closet. I put them on her and she laughed like crazy as she tried to walk around.

9 comments:

Tracy Giles said...

It looks like you guys had a great 4th of July! I'm jealous you got to hear the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Some of my favorite songs are patriotic songs. My very favorite happens to be Battle Hymn of the Republic. It was written by Julia W Howe in 1861 and the story behind it is really beautiful. When I joined the church I was excited to see that they had added it to their hymn book because it didn't start out as a "Mormon" song. I would have loved to have heard the Colorado Symphony perform it. I bet you guys had so much fun!!! So when are you going to come over so we can go swimming!!!

Mary-Anne said...

Looks like you guys had a very fun 4th of July weekend!! I know what you mean about just being able to spend time together! That was my favorite part of the weekend. :) Glad you had fun!!

mommaquincy said...

What a cute family! I love how Sophie's blue tongue matches her blue eyes.

Ann said...

I would laugh too trying to walk in those things! I'm glad you had a safe and fun 4th.

Anonymous said...

Awww! You do those scarp book pages so cute! I wish I was as "craftsy" as you are. Seriously those are adorable! I am probably going to copy you and do our 4th of July pictures on scarp pages. Mine wont turn out nearly as cute as yours though!!!
You guys are such an adorable family!!!
Happy independence day!

The Hulls said...

I'm glad you guys had a fun 4th of July! I love your yellow swim cover-up by the way, it is so cute! I get Reese's bows from some ladies that my sister knows. Their website is www.bowsandbobbies.com They had a million and there all so cute!

Cami said...

Looks like you guys had a really fun weekend. Sophie's hair is getting so long! I love the picture with her tongue out and her in the tub. You did a great job on the scrapbook pages. very cute. Do you do them all digital and then print them out?

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

Sounds like so much fun! Sophie is the cutest thing ever! I love her with the boots on. Sooo cute!

jaredelizabeth said...

Holy cow, Sophie's eyes look so blue in the blue tongue picture that they almost look purple!

We miss all of you and I'm glad you had a great holiday.