Wednesday, September 29, 2010

preschool

I’m doing “Mommy Preschool” with a few friends this fall.  We started last week taking turns teaching/hosting preschool.  It was my turn first!  We meet 2 days a week.  Sophie was really excited about school until she found out that she not only DIDN’T get to ride the bus but school was at her house?  And Mom was the teacher???  Lame.  Most everyday we see the big kids board the school bus with their backpacks so they can, “Go to school, learn their letters, and write their names.”  She got over her disappointment and seemed to like playing school with me ok.

soph preschool - soph painting Here she is painting her A.  That’s painter’s tape they painted over and when I removed the tape there was a white A on their pages.  Cute idea I thought, found it online. (Please excuse her dress that is slipping off her shoulder, new fall wardrobes must start out a little big to last through winter.)

Truth is that not much of the curriculum we have planned will be new to Sophie but the whole idea of sitting down and listening, raising her hand with questions, and not playing with toys for an hour and a half is new.  And it’s good for her to learn those things as well as some social skills preparing her for next year when I hope to enroll her in a formal preschool for her last year before kindergarten.  {GASP!}  Did I really just say that?  Sophie will be going to kindergarten?  Scary thought, but we have 2 more years.

6 comments:

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Oh my GOODNESS she is cute! I bet you are the best teacher ever! Lincoln was the same way when I did some preschool at my house. He got over it quite quickly though. Way to go! Kindergarten, unfortunately, comes faster than you think! YIKES!

Zac & Chelsea said...

That is so fun! I went to mommy preschool when I was little and I still remember parts of it. It is actually the only preschool I did. I hope that I can do the same when my kids hit that age. I am sure that you are just amazing at it!

Kristen said...

That's a great idea for preschool! i bet all the girls love it and it give them some great skills before going to a formal school.

Sophie's curls are so adorable, love them.

mommaquincy said...

I loved doing preschool for you guys. Does Tessa stay with you for the preschool? Is she still trying to go potty?

Jessica said...

Mom, we have a teacher AND a babysitter assigned for each day. So when I'm teaching (and not teaching) there is someone I can leave Tessa with. There are only 4 of us so I am either teaching or babysiting every other time. Nice eh?
Tessa still asks to sit on the potty still but hasn't done any business on there for quite a while now.

Anna said...

That's a big milestone! Congrats Sophie! Jessica, I'm sure you did a wonderful job as the teacher. PS Sophie looks so beautiful in that last picture!