I know you are tired of hearing about my running, I just posted about it. But I can’t stop thinking about this opportunity and really want some help deciding! Here’s my dilemma:
I found a race In Colorado on Labor Day (which is in 6 1/2 weeks) that has both a half marathon and a full marathon. Which should I do?
Half Marathon Pros:
- I know I can do the distance without injury
- I can try to break 1:50!
Half Marathon Cons:
- the race is up hill the first half and then down the 2nd… might make it hard to get a PR
- They have pacer runners (which is way cool!) but they don’t have a pacer at my goal of 1:50, just at 2 hours or 1:45
Marathon Pros:
- I am already in shape and could get my mileage high enough to do it in 6 weeks
- It would be really cool to complete a marathon!
- The marathon is all at a slight down hill
- They have a pacer at the time my goal would be, 4 hours, so I could just stick with them
- We want to have more children and I will likely be pregnant sometime next year making it at least 2 and probably more like 3 years until I’d be able to run another marathon, now may be the time!
Marathon Cons:
- Risk of INJURY is high, and could be long lasting
- People usually train for 16 weeks for a marathon, and I would only have 6, BUT I am very close to on track since I just trained for a half marathon
What do you think? Any advice? Anyone out there done this before? I’m putting up a poll. Please help me decide!









7 comments:
My aerobics instructor runs marathons. She did say that because of all the stress on the body that a marathon causes, it did give her and her husband a hard time with getting pregnant with their second child (they just had her last week). Also, see if you can find the difficulty rating of the marathon. I know that my aerobics instructor found out that running the Salt Lake Marathon (the one in April) does to you the equivalent of what getting hit by a semi-truck going 35 mph would do to your body. But mostly, do what you want and feel like you can do - that's the most important. :) Good luck!
Hmmm... thats a tough question! At first I was going to say the marathon because you're so close already and the timing does seem to work out with when you want to get pregnant... but then I read your friends comment and it made me reconsider. Either way I think it's awesome that your doing it!
I say go for a marathon, because you can always do halfs for the rest of your life if you think the marathon isn't worth it. My sisters do marathons, and one of them says that it is an awesome accomplishment to do one, but that she will probably not do anymore because of the time commitment. She just says that it is harder to find the time the busier her life gets. Just a thought, but I knoe that whatever you choose you'll be happy with.
Go for the Marathon! I think you will regret it if you don't! And more often than not people come out of marathons without injury!
Brian said to go for it! Your almost their! And you can check that goal off your list. We have complete faith you can do it! :) Give Brian a call if you need more motivation. :)
It seems that there are more pros to do the marathon than the 1/2 on your list - so I say go for it. My mom runs a couple of marathons every year and loves it.
BTW - The first photo below has my house in the background! The one with the tan fence and purple flowers. It made me do a little double take when I was scrolling down. You should have stopped by for a drink - haha! Glad you enjoyed it!
I think that you might want to do the marathon, although I know I wouldn't ever do either.
Post a Comment