Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sophie, the kindergartener!

08 15 12_soph silly face 08 15 12_sophie first day of school 2 08 15 12_tess soph 08 15 12_tess silly face 2 08 15 12_soph scooter to school 08 15 12_tess bike

We rode bikes to school and we left earlier than we needed to, so we had time for pictures before anyone else was there.  I had a lot of anxiety about Sophie starting kindergarten, it’s so weird to let others take care of your children when you’re not accustomed to it.  But I know there are some lessons that she can’t learn from me, she needs to learn at school.

08 15 12_soph at kindergarten 3 08 15 12_soph jess kindergarten

Then the friends started to come.

08 15 12_ben downs soph

Sophie was such a social butterfly.  Most of the kids looked nervous holding onto their parents, Sophie just walked around introducing herself complimenting back packs and telling them she was “new.” Ha ha, they were all new, of course.  She’s so outgoing, not a shy bone in her body!

08 15 12_families dropping off kids 08 15 12_tess soph saying bye

Soph brought home this cute bag from her teacher.  She’s “O-fish-ally a Kindergartener!”

08 15 12_o fish ally a kindergartner

She seems to like kindergarten, she still wants to go everyday.  I’ve had her say that no one would play with her at recess a few times, and that breaks my heart.  She still asks about her preschool friends, hoping to see them at school.  Truth be told, she’s very social, almost too much so, she has a tendency to overwhelm kids and scare them away.  I know she’ll figure it out, it’s a tough lesson to learn, how to be liked and a good friend.  I just hope there aren’t too many tears in the process, it’s so hard to watch her feelings get hurt.  I don’t mean to make it sound horrible, because it’s not.  Just some growing pains, I suppose.  Any advice?

I’m so proud of you Sophie!  You are a little smarty pants, so clever, talented and beautiful I love you!!  Love, Mom.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Does she have full day Kindergarten? Eliza did not have full day which meant they did not have recess. They split into assigned groups and visited different "centers." That type of organized play meant she always had a buddy. With all that being said, the recess component was new to me this year too. It was hard for Eliza because a lot of her friends like monkey bars and she doesn't. She chooses to pick up litter and earn stickers from the outside ladies who monitor the kids. It's kind of weird, but it makes her happy. The thing that brought me peace of mind was seeing how the kids respond to her when I volunteer in her classroom. If you have the chance to do that, I bet you'll see that lots of kids do like her. Also, after watching who she clicks with at school, those are the kids that I've tried to invite over for playdates. If you're able to grow those friendships outside of school, I think it helps when they're at school. Good luck. We definitely have tears and hard days at our house too!

mommaquincy said...

Sophie is so cute and smart and talented! That might be more than some kids can handle. She'll find the right kids that can handle it!

Kristen said...

awww what a cutie! her braid is so cute too. i'm not surprised she's a social butterfly!!

Erin said...

Sam's the exact same way! He is so outgoing and didn't have any trouble in preschool and has said the same thing a few times about recess. I think kids that age want to play what they are playing sometimes and if others want to join that's fine...you know what I mean? Now that school has been going a for a while he talks about his friends and seems to have made a lot of new ones. I think they are maybe ahead of their group a little socially maybe??? I don't know.