Wednesday, July 20, 2011

baby update – 38 1/2 weeks

Saw the midwife today and I had NO cervical change from last week, still at 3 cm and 80% effaced.  I was disappointed, and not so much because I am desperate to have this baby soon, I’m really not!  I’ve learned that they are much easier to take care of while they are still inside me, I can sleep when I want (usually) and I don’t have to feed, diaper or clean his clothes.  BUT it would be really nice if we could have him before Dan leaves to take the bar exam in Wyoming next Wednesday!  He’ll only be gone for 24 hours, but if this guy happened to be born while he’s gone I would be so sad!  I really would like him to be there with me for the birth!!  I talked to the midwife about it today and she scheduled me for an induction Monday morning so we could have him and come home from the hospital before Dan has to leave town.  Which is nice… of course I would prefer to go into labor on my own that would make it easier for me to go natural, but that is not as important to me as having Dan present.  On the other hand, we would probably be fine to just take our chances and wait, how likely am I to deliver in the 24 hours Dan will be gone?  Nobody knows. :) So I guess we’ll just have to think about it some more and pray I go into labor on my own before Monday so we don’t have to decide!

We have everything ready for him, I think I’ve remembered everything… down to binkys and nursing pads.  The one thing we don’t have is a name… boy names are so hard!  We have a short list but there is no one name we are super excited about.  I hope he comes out with it written on his forehead… otherwise it could be awhile before we choose.

3 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

Boy names ARE hard! Good luck with the name and with everything else! I hope he comes before Dan leaves. :)

mommaquincy said...

I'm hoping he come for his dad's birthday tomorrow!!

Kolbi Young said...

Good luck! I'm thinking about you! I agree with your comment that boy names are hard. We had a whole list of girl names, but only a couple of boy names. I'm excited to hear how it all goes and what name you choose!