Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July the 4th

4th - beach tess dan soph playingWe had such a fun 4th this year!  In the morning I convinced Dan that we needed to go out to swim beach, which is a little beach off of a reservoir only 10 min from our house (I can run there down our trail, around 5 miles one way).  We didn’t want to walk that long with all our beach gear though, so we decided to drive in… just like the rest of Metro Denver!  We considered turning back after we got in the park because there were so many cars!  It ended up taking us about 1 hour to get the the gate where you pay to get in.  I laughed at this sign right before the end when we had been stopped for 45 min already… congested?   Ya think!!??

4th - beach congested area sign

But I am so glad that we stuck it out because the beach parking lot was only 1/3 full when we got there and we had no trouble finding a shaded spot to put our blanket.  This was something I had been wanting us to do all summer.

Sophie’s “beach shoes” and Tessa adamantly saying no to beach shoes.

4th - beach soph sand shoes 4th - beach tess standing

  Dan enjoyed making stuff out of the sand, but not for long because Tessa really enjoyed ruining his work. 

4th - beach dan sand 4th - beach tess wrecking

The girls spent a lot of time filling holes with water, to make “baths.”

4th - beach soph bucket 4th - beach tess pouring water 2

Sophie liked writing in the sand until the waves came and washed it away, she was too sad to try again. :(  Didn’t know there were whales at the reservoir did you? j/k I know I am not quite as big as a whale but I am pushing it!! All for a good cause, that’s why we do it right?

4th - beach soph drawing in sand 4th - beach jess soph tess

Sophie let Dan and I take turns throwing water at her with the bucket, it was hilarious.  She would take it right in the face!  When she threw it at us she would only get our legs for the most part and it would be half sand. Tessa playing in one of their “baths.”

4th - beach dan throwing water at soph 4th - beach tess muddy feet

We only stayed a couple of hours and then headed home for naps, it was the perfect amount of time.  When we left there were around 100 cars lined up outside the parking lot who had paid their entry but were waiting for a parking spot!  I bet they waited for hours!!  So glad we went when we did.

Later that day we met Matt and Cami for a fireworks show in Arvada.  We didn’t want to go too early and have to wait for hours for the fireworks, but we should have gone about 30 min earlier because we arrived just in time to watch them deflate the toys in the kiddie area.  The girls were pretty disappointed, oh well!

Sophie still smiled for a picture, but Tessa wouldn’t sit by them and instead pulled her hair out and cried.  2 year olds are so fun. :)  I do think it’s funny how serious she is about it though.

4th - fireworks dan soph 4th - fireworks tess soph dan face off

Daddy knew what to do, snow cone time!! Nice smile Soph, so natural.  I love this picture of Tessa closely monitoring Sophie’s snow cone intake, waiting for her turn.

4th - fireworks tess snow cone 4th - fireworks soph snow cone 4th - fireworks soph tess snow cone 2

Waiting for the fireworks to start Sophie played tag with some kids, only problem is that she doesn’t know how!  How embarrassing, my fault for sure.  She liked pretending to play with them though.  She would just yell, “tag, you’re it!” and run around in the same vicinity of the other kids.  Tessa on the other hand looked for something more thrilling… this little money is so strong!! She got so high up that fence.

4th - fireworks soph playing tag 4th - fireworks tess climbing fence 

4th - fireworks 3 4th - fireworks 4

My girls really liked watching the fireworks.

4th - fireworks soph watching 4th - fireworks tess watching

Stole this picture from Cami, because I didn’t get a group shot… only Tessa and Cami are missing, still more that I got.  We had fun!

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

How funny that Sophie doesn't know how to play tag, but tried anyway! She has a lot of self confidence! Tessa's climbing is pretty scarry! I thought she was scared of everything! You do not look like a whale!

Lisa Nielsen said...

I love your night pictures with the fireworks! The picture of Tessa climbing is scary, but awesome! It looks so cool:) You may be having your little guy right now? but I wanted to wish you good luck with everything. I can't believe you are going natural! That is awesome:) I hope his name is on his forehead for ya! LOL!
PS. Good luck Dan on the Bar!