Tuesday, May 4, 2010

they wouldn’t stop shaking the bag…

art museum and grad announ - camera belly up

My good old girl went belly up.  (If you don’t get my HILARIOUS joke, you should go watch Finding Nemo, and try again.)

$185 to repair

re-sale value under $200

she gave me 5 1/2 good years

problem: I’m only half way there with my new camera savings account to replace her

solution: learn to manual focus

here are my best attempts this morning:

got camera back - tessa got camera back - sophie

I think I can get better at this manual focusing stuff.  It just feels so good to have my big bulky camera back in my hands!  On the bright side, working with a handicap will only make me stronger.  And when I can afford a new camera that will not only have a working focusing motor but tons of new and better features I am going to be happy with every single picture it takes!

The people at the camera store always make fun of my old camera, like it’s an antique and they’ve never seen one this age in person before.  Yes, it is an ORIGINAL digital Rebel, no x’s t’s or i’s.  They’re doubting makes me want to prove her worth even more.  They offered to just recycle her for me, no way!

When I went to pick old girl up from the camera store an older sales man caught me and gave me some stuff to think about.  He actually recommended that I switch systems completely.  He wants to set me up with an Olympus.  Never even crossed my mind.  I saw some of the pictures he’s taken with it and I was amazed.  Biggest upside is that the body has image stabilization built in so the lenses do not, making the lenses much much cheaper.  So I could have a lot more equipment for less money.  But if I want HD video, Canon is still my friend.  I’ve concluded that the noise reduction in any new camera will be so ridiculously better that I will be happy with anything.  But I am glad I have some time to think about all of this and make an informed decision.  I need at least until the end of the year reach my savings goal.  Anyone bought a camera recently?  Do any of you shoot with an Olympus?  What’s your system (Canon, Nikon, Pentax…)?  I would love your feed back.

7 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Great pictures! Tessa looks so much like Sophie in that picture!!

Tifani said...

Manual Focus....oooohhhh! It takes some time to focus, get the setting right, blah blah. Anyhow.. The camera question. I have a Nikon. Whenever I read other photo blogs I don't hear very much about Olympus. I usually just see people using Canon or Nikon. So I don't know anything about Olympus. Just have your husband do a lot of research. That's what I do anyways!:)

Natalie and Aaron said...

Oh, your girls are adorable!!! sounds like an adventure with your camera situation. Looks like you did great with the manual focus.

I love your blog. So what template do you use?? I really like how big your pictures are...how do you get them that size?? I may have to copy some of your cute ideas and the fonts!

Megan said...

I don't have much feedback with cameras we have a Canon and Ricoh (that one was free) that we really like. Congrats to Dan that's so exciting. My Zack is just like Tessa he won't eat unless he can feed himself. Cute girls.

Summer said...

Hey Hottie,
Well I don't always post but I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading and looking at your blogs.

Erin said...

You take such awesome pictures. I am a total photo nauvice, so I can't even imagine manual focusing on my wild kidlets.
I just got a Cannon SLR xsi for mother's day. I love it already. I'm so used to a delayed shutter that I've taken like over 2000 pictures on conituous shooting. Loving it!

Andrea said...

I always think that I like photography until I try to take good pictures, and then I realize I don't like photography, I just like having good pictures. Which doesn't happen when I'm the one taking them.