Tuesday, May 18, 2010

slipcover blues

oct 2009 dan and girls I’m tired of our couches, 5 years is enough sage green with floral pillows.  I wish I would have got a neutral color so I could just change the pillows.  To make it worse, it has a tight back with un-attached pillows so I don’t know if a slipcover will work.   The picture below is a slipcover, but I doubt in real life mine would look that good.  Plus the nice slipcovers are $100 anyway.  I’m not sure how I’ll make it happen but what I really want is a tan or brown couch, light blue wall and blue and white pillows.  I could really go for cute yellow book case or end tables to accent.  Can’t decide if I would be better off to sell my couches and buy a new brown one or do the slipcover thing.  Do you have slipcover experience?  Are they a pain? 

       

14 comments:

Kyla said...

I say get new couches! We did a slipcover before and it was a pain and we didn't have kids. I didn't spend $100 or more though so maybe the nicer ones are better but I was always tucking it in and smoothing it out. I think it would be even worse if I had kids at the time. Plus it's always fun to get new furniture. Go to American furniture warehouse. They've got some good stuff for reasonable price.

Mandy @ Raising Little Dudes said...

I think slipcovers are pointless. I know my mom bought some a while ago and you were constantly have to tuck them back and they just were really sloppy looking. I saw sell what you have and buy new...thats my opinion, and what we did. We bought some brown leather couches, they will last thru every color I want and many kids!

Erin said...

I haven't heard very good things about slipcovers. They move around a lot, especially with the inevitable kiddo encounter!

netcampbell said...

Get a new couch Jessica! slipcover won't look really good if your old couch is not in a really good shape and they never fit right.

Kolbi Young said...

We had a slipcover for our first couple years of marriage (and it was a nice $100 one). I hated it. I would vote to save the money for a couch. In fact while Tyler was in grad school, we really didn't have money to fork over for a couch set, but I hated my slipcover with such a passion that I used a 0% intrest promotion that a local furniture store was running and paid monthly payments until it was paid (therefore not paying any additional fees). It was easier for us to do it that way, and in the end totally worth it!

Teandra said...

we had a clipcover on our old couch and we hated it. We were always having to adjust it whenever we sat on it. It was always hanging weird. i would just get a new couch.

Lisa Nielsen said...

I have re-covered a DI couch that we had when we first got married. I turned out ok and it wasn't like a slip cover that you had to keep adjusting. I used a staple gun and found cheap fabric and covered the main part of the sofa and then basically sewed "pillow cases" for the cushions. It worked pretty good and got us by until we could afford new couches. Good luck! I love the diaper bag you made!

Summer said...

Slip covers are NO good. Definitely get a new couch.

Ann said...

I loath couch covers! We have one and it's terrible! Nevr stays in place and crumbs get in every crevas. But I love the tables you picked. :)

mommaquincy said...

Jen's slip cover isn't bad, but it's probably a pain sometimes. If you can't afford new stuff now, I say sell yours and then buy some used ones that are neutral. I see tons on KSL all the time.

Jenny Kendall said...

I like my slip cover, but my living room doesn't belong in a magazine -- you've seen it and sat on my slip cover. What is wrong with sage green anyway? You're creative enough to invent a new look with the same color. My advice is to wait to buy furniture until you are living somewhere you plan to stay for 5 years. then you can buy the right furniture to fit the long term place.

Tracy Giles said...

Good luck! I wish I had good advice. I really like have neutral colored couches. They go with anything. One day I will get cute accent pillows. I love the color combinations you are talk ing about doing.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

I must disagree with everyone;0)! The most economical thing to do is slipcover. However, do not buy one...they will NOT fit and will just be a pain in your life. You can make your own with some very basic sewing skills. I have an ebook called Lazy Girl's Guide to Custom Slipcovers. Get the book, join the Lazy Girl Forum where we talk about all things slipcover-y! If you have a walmart, they have 100% cotton duck in brown and khaki for about $5/yd or you can order online. I just helped my girlfriend slip her sofa and loveseat yesterday! You can do it! Don't be afraid! Do you have a sewing friend that can help you? Please, please email me with any questions. I would love to help you and walk you through slipping! As you can tell...I'm very passionate about slips:0)

Manda said...

I don't love the slipcovers you buy somewhere - just like everyone else said, they never stay in place. But I've made some slipcovers that I do love. If you have removable cushions, then you can make a slipcover that works better. I made zippered pillowcases for all 6 cushions on an old comfy couch, and then a nice fitted one for the couch itself. i don't even have the couch anymore, but my grandma jenson still keeps that cover on it because it looks and feels great. Lot of work though. Good luck!