Sunday, March 28, 2010

ruffle skirts

ruffle skirts page

I really enjoy making something out of nothing!  My good friend Emily sent me this tutorial that shows you how to make these cute skirts out of old t-shirts!   It’s a great tutorial, took me about an hour and a half to sew both of them (and I’m slow).  Both of them were my shirts I had stained and look much better on my girls as skirts.  I’m pretty happy with how they turned out.  I decided to make some little flower pins with the extra shirt fabric to embellish their shirts or hair or whatever they are wearing (that way I can still use their shirts for other things).  Go find some shirts in your closet and try this out! 

Obviously, my girls were more in the mood to play than take pictures, oh well.  Special thanks to Mom for letting me borrow their camera (and mailing it the day after I announced mine was broken) so I could take these pictures.

15 comments:

Inspired said...

What a nice mom, but secretly I think she just wants to see pics of her gorgeous grandaughters. Those skirts are SO cute! You did an awesome job with them, and your girls look adorable!

Mary-Anne said...

Oh my gosh! I love those skirts! Very cute. If I ever learn how to sew and if I ever have a little girl, I will have to try it out. :)

Tifani said...

Too cute!! I love it.

Sew Much Ado said...

Those are ADORABLE! I love the matching pink and gray. I was going to make a grey and pink ruffle skirt tomorrow for a giveaway but thought maybe it wouldn't be that cute, but now that I've seen your's I'm for sure doing it! Thanks for sending me your link!

mommaquincy said...

I love the skirts! You amaze me! The girls are so cute and I would do much more than send our old camera so I can see pictures of them! Thanks!

The Allens said...

Those are so cute! I thought you'd bought them at the store! I'm going to have to go through all my old t-shirts now...hopefully they're long enough for Katie. Thanks for the idea! I love seeing all your creative crafty projects.

ghislaine said...

Totally adorable! I know what you mean about enjoying "making something out of nothing" feeling. I always feel so accomplished when I finish a sewing or crafting project.

Wish I had girls so I could make them pretty little frilly dresses but I have a boy and another boy on the way.

Jenelle said...

Those are so darling! You are so talented, Jess! I love seeing the crafty things you do!

Lisa Nielsen said...

So cute Jessica! You are amazing:) And your mom is so sweet.

Megan said...

So cute, good job! I wnat a girl someday so I can make cute things like that. I am going to attempt to make some superhero capes.

Nicole said...

Cute! You're making me wish I had my sewing machine!

Erin said...

Very cute! I have seen these around and keep wanting to make one for Maggie. Definitely going to have to now.

Kristen said...

They are so cute!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the skirts! You're so crafty!

Emily said...

Those did turn out so cute! I love the idea of pinning the flowers on their shirts too. Awesome job!

Sew Much Ado said...

Hi! Since your's are pretty much my favorite ruffle skirst that I've seen, I have to let you know that I recently started a Sew Much Ado Flickr Pool and would love it if you added some photos of your ruffle skirts! Here's the link if you'd like:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1275633@N25/