Friday, March 5, 2010

peas have shells

I didn’t know it until March 1st 2010, but peas have shells.

pea shells - close up

I apologize for the picture, I don’t have a macro lens and had to shoot this far away and then crop it.  Anyway, let me show you who made this discovery (about the pea shells):

pea shells - Soph eating

Yep my sweet little Sophie girl figured it out for me!  Sophie used to eat EVERYTHING and eat really well.  She would try new things and liked most anything.  Oh my how times have changed!  She lives off of crackers, milk, and chicken nuggets for the most part.  Why the peas?  Well, we went in for Sophie’s 3 year check up last week:

Weight:  33.4 lbs (77%)

Height:  37 1/4 inch (46%) – still surprised she wasn’t taller, she has been really sprouting lately!

And at Sophie’s check up the doctor asked me about Sophie’s diet:

Me:  She’s a picky eater, won’t really eat ANY fresh fruits or vegetables any more, I don’t know what to do with her!

Dr:  Not any?

Me:  No, she cries if they are on her plate or too close to her on the table.

Dr: (laughs) Keep trying.

And try I did!  When we got home I made her a plate with her usual lunch of chicken nuggets and ketchup, but I added a heaping pile of peas.  She cried at first but I put her in time out until she would eat some.  And she did eat a few until she decided that popping them out of their shells was more fun.  I did get her to start popping them into her mouth so she ate some pea insides!  Anyone have advice on how to get your kids to eat fruits and vegetables?  I would love some.

Here are a few random pictures taken of Sophie recently.

playing w presents - soph made a baby valentines and Soph's party - new towel Sophie hiding from the mixer

11 comments:

Inspired said...

With Elijah I just started giving him the choice of only fresh fruits and veggies. He could choose either the apple or the orange, the green beans or the peas. Other options were not a choice! The first week I did this was a LOT like potty training, but now he'll actually request veggies for dinner (it's ALWAYS green beans) but I don't care as long as he is eating them. Fruits have become no problem...he likes them all, but I pretty much cut out all treats, and replaced them with fruit. If that doesn't work you could always try making smoothies, you can throw in veggies and not even taste them, and kids LOVE them.

mommaquincy said...

So Jess have you looked in your baby book to see what your percentiles were at 3 years? I'm just curious.
I would try to get her to dip her fruit in yogurt or something. She does like fruit yogurt, right? I have the same problem with Jonathan and veggies. He does like broccoli and green beans with cheese melted on them. Try some peer pressure.

Teandra said...

There"s a book by Jerry Seinfelds wife called "deceptively delicious" and you can also try green smoothies

Summer Wilson said...

If she likes popping out her veggies try edamame beans. Noah loves them because they "poop" out the beans. He'll eat an entire packet of them because he thinks they're so fun. Try fruit popsicles and you can add veggies and she wouldn't even know they are in there.

Mary said...

I agree with Bre: only present healthy options. And with Char I can't force the issue or else veggies become a negative thing associated with punishment. If she chooses neither healthy option, then oh well, she doesn't eat. When she's hungry enough, she usually gives in. Good luck!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

OH I FEEL YOUR PAIN.!!!!!!! Porter screams at me and pushes his plate as far away as possible if I try and give him anything other than pb&j's, chicken nuggets, yogurt, string cheese, and cheerios!!!! I tried bribing him a few days ago while Ellery and I were eating an apple to try some. I told him he could have some M&M's! No luck he told me the apple was "wet". GGGRRRR! Only thing I have found for fruit is smoothies with yogurt in his "cool" straw cup! Good luck, let me know if anything works!
P.S. Funny storie about the pea shells. My friends gave her 9 month old peas and when she was finished her baby had a mouth full of pea shells!

Ruthanne said...

You can make smoothies with frozen berries and yogurt, you can even do fresh spinach, banana, yogurt and honey, you can't taste the spinach! Also you can put pureed carrot or sweet potatos into macaroni and cheese. Hope that helps!

Crafty Momma said...

I have the same problem with Delia. She only likes strawberries, pineapple anc occasionally bananas. It's even worse with veggies. She gags when I try to get her to eat broccoli. regular green beans she hates, but when I get the seaonsoned kind (onions and peppers) she eats them like candy! also any time I give her "dip" to dip her food in she will usually eat it..with out "dip" she won't. try giving her raw veggies, like carrots with ranch dressing to dip it in. If that doesn't work, if she likes salad try mixing in shredded carrots with dressing and she if she likes that. another trick I have found is that although delia ia very smart, I am smarted and eventually figured out how to out-smart her. If I put her in her high chair to eat the same thing she may only eat half or none of it. But when I take her out and proceed to eat my dinner(she is usually "done" by the time I am ready to eat) she flollows me and is right by my side for 'some". She thinks that what mommy is eating is far more better than what I had given her. so I let her eat with me and she eats the veggies that she wouldn't eat in her chair! Silly kiddo! Try getting her more involved at dinner with helping to prepare her meal. Make it exciting about what you are eating. It may take a while before she starts getting the idea that it is "fun" and she may never come around. But whenever trying something different in an attempt to "teach" your child always give it some time. I know it is frustrating and the doctors said the same thing to me too...keep trying. but alas it is all we can do! I started giving delia vitamins every day..tinkerbell gummies..and she loves them. so I don't feel so bad when she doen't eat very healthy and that way we don't make it into drama all the time. The less drama about it the more she comes to learn that it's not so bad. Good Luck!

Lisa Nielsen said...

Jess, oh I am sorry, but this is a funny post! First the pea shells killed me and then the picture of Sophie covering her eyes when the mixer comes out! LOL. I have not been there with the "picky eater" stuff, but I saw on an episode of The Doctors that if you start with the healthy food on the table for the meal, and start with empty plates, she'll eventually ask for something on the table if everyone is dishing up things and eating what is there. Don't fill her plate, let her ask for things and if she does ask for fruits or veggies, don't cheer or make a big deal of it either way. I don't know...but it worked for the family that was on the show:) Good Luck!
PS. Thanks for the advice to check in on my babe if I wake in the night:)

Megan said...

What a cutie. We just always have carrots and broccoli with about every meal. Blake just love carrots and the broccoli he can have a little ranch dip. I don't know any tricks other than to just keep trying like the dr. said. Try some new ones maybe, you probably already have.

Kristen said...

Have you tried frozen peas? My cousin's kids love them! You could also try and let her pick out her own fruit, maybe try something new like starfruit/kiwi/persimmons to see if she likes them and bc she picked it out she might be more willing to try new stuff. good luck!