Tuesday, December 1, 2009

becoming my mother

We all try to avoid it but most of us seem to do it anyway.  Growing up we swear up and down that we will NEVER be like our parents. My mom’s a smart woman.  It’s funny how the things that I used to roll my eyes at her doing I now do!  For example, if Dan is watching a TV show and it swears or has an inappropriate joke I do my best to send him on a guilt trip!  It’s okay, I wasn’t fair to my mom growing up and becoming like her is a GOOD thing!  I came one step closer to being like my mom over Thanksgiving when we brought home this…

thanksgiving - singer sewing machine thanksgiving - singer sewing machine side shot

Isn’t it beautiful?  I love it!  My sweet mother-in-law told me I could take it home!  We were asking her for advice on buying a sewing machine when she suggested we just take this one that belonged to Dan’s “Grandma S.A.”  (I put that in quotes because she wasn’t really their Grandma, although she served as one.  Nina’s parents both died young and so she spent a lot of time with S.A.)  I really can’t thank you enough Nina, I am so excited!!

Now, technically I know how to sew… I’ve made pajama pants and a REALLY crappy quilt once.  Seriously, it was really bad, I didn’t use an iron once and cut the pieces to approximate sizes.  Plus I sewed it all on a basting stitch!  So it all fell apart quickly.  Which was probably for the best since I made it for my boyfriend who broke up with me the night I gave it to him! 

crochet flower clip 001 baby shirt aplique 002

Anyway, I digress.  I have had a bit of a crafting bug lately!  It started with me wanting to crochet little flowers for hair clips to making fabric flowers, and learning to appliqué designs on onsies baby for gifts.  It’s so satisfying to create something from nothing!  So naturally, a sewing machine is the next step to becoming more domestic and therefore like my wonderful mother (and mother-in-law).  I think my mom is right, she said that projects are great because you can actually FINISH them, unlike housework.  All those dishes I washed this morning will be dirty again soon, as will the floors I vacuumed, and clothes I washed.  But when I make something it’s done and no one can un-do it!

5 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

So...I want to hear more about the story of the quilt and the boyfriend! Ha ha!! Sometimes I want to learn to sew...but sometimes I think it just looks like too much of a hassle! So good look! Oh, and I totally do things like my mother that I never thought I would...I just think it means we're growing up. Good thing we have good mothers to become like! :)

Summer said...

Sad but true. In so many ways we become like our parents. But hopefully only the good things.

mommaquincy said...

You are much better at many things than I will ever be! I can't wait to see what you create next!

Ann said...

I'd rather be like my mom than be like the best person I know! :) Love being crafty, loving having projects, and love getting them done! Just remember "Having something finished is way better then having it perfect." Keep on craftin!

Kristen said...

I've taken to sewing to this year! It's so much fun! I'm making aprons for the women in mine and the BF's family. Luckily, his mother is helping me otherwise they'd be uneven and superglued. Good lucky with your crafts, make sure to posts pictures!