Wednesday, September 2, 2009

the clean and the dirty

Monday I made this:

monkeys on the bed 023

I stole the idea from my mother.  Thanks Mom!  I used to wait until something looked dirty or I would just clean the whole house in one day when I was expecting guests.  I am so excited about this, it's going well so far.  The key for me is to cut it up into small "bite size" pieces.  I am not likely to start something at all if I am worried I won't be able to finish. I spend 30 min each morning cleaning and then I am done for the day.  My house looks so good!  What works at your house?

I mopped the floors today for the first time in an embarrassing amount of time, that I'm not willing to disclose.  I don't know why but I just HATE mopping!  But I sprung and bought myself one of these yesterday:

monkeys on the bed 032

It totally rocks!!  No sink or bucket of water and no mop to wash out after you are done.  You just push a button on the handle to spray cleaner on the floor mop mop mop, and then throw away the pad.  Hopefully this will help me keep to the weekly schedule. :)  Check out how much dirt was on the pad before I threw it away, GROSS!

While I have been busy cleaning lately my girls have been trying to compensate with messing things up the best they can.  Sophie loves to play on our bed, she jumps, hides in the covers, pretends to be a "king", and takes fake naps.  She probably gets on there 3 or more times a day.  I make our bed, but I'm not sure why. 

monkeys on the bed 009 monkeys on the bed 015 monkeys on the bed 001 

Last night Sophie told me she needed to pee BEFORE she did it for the first time.  Previously I have just taken her to go before nap/bed time and going out.  But this was the first time she actually told me before and then made it to the potty.  I was so excited I gave her this lovely dollar store jewelry set, even though it was after her bed time.  She loves it, especially the earrings and it's an emergency whenever they fall off!  She keeps saying, "Sophie pretty like mommy," when it's on, awww just melt my hear why don't ya!?

monkeys on the bed 030

Also, a very big THANK YOU to everyone who has offered their advice and sympathies for our potty training adventure.  I have really got some great ideas!  I've heard from a lot of long time "blog stalkers" and it's just so great to have support!!  I have been putting her in pull-ups the last couple of nights so we all could get some more sleep and not stress so much.  I think we'll just do day time training for now and lose the pull-ups after she starts waking up dry.  I am kind of scared to just go back to diapers after all this work so I think I will just try to stick with it a bit longer and hope she comes around before too much longer.

In other random news, Tessa started saying "mamama" today (I think it's a first), gotta love that!

8 comments:

Leslie & Matt said...

I love the pic of Tess & Shoph in your bed! Too sweet!!

Yay Sophie!! Making any progress feels so good-I'm not sure who is happier the parent or the child!? :)

P.S. Nothing really works for me to keep my house clean! haha!! I do agree that the list is the best idea however. Good luck keepin it up!

Natalie and Aaron said...

Okay, so I love your cleaning idea. I keep things picked up, but my "deep" cleaning is done on weekends, when guests come, or on a as needed basis...let's just say my tile floor hides dirt so well I have to make myself mop after it's been a while. I use the Shark Steam mop, I too love not washing a dirty mop or dealing with dirty buckets.

I can't even think of potty training...agghh, at least I have a little bit to prepare before that. : )

The Culbertson's said...

I love living by a cleaning plan, it has helped me keep my sanity and my family happy. Mine is very similar to yours, I have my weekly items I do, vacuum, dust, windows, etc but I also have 1 area a week that I try to do a little 'heavy' cleaning. These first few weeks as I've encoutred new areas to
'heavy clean' its mostly been throwing away stuff I 'might use some day'. It really makes it easire when I can just do one thing and say, okay I've done it I don't have to stress, but if I do have a few minutes I go and do somethin in my focus room. I was introduced to these methods at flylady.net. I'm not a strict 'flyer' yet but she has a quote that has stayed with me 'Even house work done badly still blesses your family'! Good luck with the cleaning plan, the potty training, and just being the best mom you can be!
PS I love you blog, your girls are just so adorable.

Howard and Melissa said...

Cleaning? That's what Natalie used to do...She'd follow me around the kitchen and clean up after me! She is totally organized and was my cleaner...I've been LOST since she moved out, so I'm especially impressed with your plan. I should get organized and try your schedule! I LOVE how Thursdays are floor days at your mom's house!

mommaquincy said...

Wow! Sophie does look more like you with the jewelery on! As far as housecleaning goes; everything we do as mothers is undone almost as soon as we do it. I think, for me cleaning is totally selfish. I'm the only one that really cared about having the house clean. I need to have everything clean once a week to keep my sanity. Congrats on the potty progress!
The monkeys in the bed are adorable. They are looking more like friends than ever!

Ambyr said...

Congrats on the cleaning, the swiffer ( i love mine) and the POTTY TRAINING!!! YEAH FOR YOU!!! by the way, she totally looks like a prety princess in her jewelry!

The Hulls said...

That is a great idea!!! I'm going to try to implement that... next week! :) And way to go sticking with the potty training.

Crafty Momma said...

It just blows me away how big sophie is!! Your girls are the cutest things in the world! I love my wet jet! I've had mine for 4 years and still have no complaints!! That is a good Idea to do something little every day. I should take your idea and use it in my house! ;) I'll let you know how it goes.