Thursday, February 26, 2009

don't wake a sleeping tiger

We had a great time at the zoo yesterday, thanks for taking us Susan!  I definitely plan on getting a zoo pass, it's only $55 online for 1 year and I can bring a "guest" every time I go! I think it's a great value, especially since Sophie clearly loves it there.  Just look at her face by that turtle!  Tessa stayed awake more than I expected but was perfectly happy enjoying the beautiful weather from the stroller.

zoo page 2.25.09

Here are some of Sophie's favorite animals, what she calls them and how she describes them:

Zebra - "stripes"

Giraffe - "long neck!"

Snake - "sssssss"

Elephant - "brrrruuuu!"

Lion - "raaarr!"

Tiger - "sleep" (he was sleeping yesterday)

Fox - "sneaky nose" (a lot of these have reference to where she learned their names on Signing Time)

Bear - "scratch"

Fish - "blurp, swim swim swim"

Lizard - "'L' whoa!" (making the 'L' run up her arm)

Hippo - "big mouth"

Alligator - "snap!" (from the monkeys in the tree song)

Rhino - "nose"

I have to share just one story from our trip yesterday.  I mentioned early that the tiger was sleeping, well he was inside and the kids were looking at him through the glass behind a guard rail.  Sophie kept yelling at him, "wake up Tiger!!" I couldn't help but notice that every time she did, a lady standing nearby would clutch her chest.  I thought she was just bothered by how loud Sophie was being so I shushed Sophie.  Then the lady said to me, "You know I would just hate for her to startle that tiger and for it to come crashing through that glass!"  I almost laughed out loud but I saw the sincere concern on the woman's face and decided it was time to leave the Tiger so she wouldn't have a heart attack.  C'mon, really?  Do you honestly think the zoo would put a tiger in a cage it could escape if it were startled?  And do you really think a 2 year old girl could startle a tiger that has probably lived in a zoo his whole life?  People are funny some times.

TV update:  We've been doing a whole lot better not watching TV during the day.  As I mentioned before, Sophie was pretty wild the first few days without it.  But she has improved A TON and doesn't hardly ask to watch it anymore, when she does I just ignore her and come up with something else for her to do.  She has been really inventive and started reading stories to her stuffed animals and taking care of her baby doll a lot.  I turn on something for her while I prepare dinner in the evening but that's really the only time it's on lately.  I'm sure it has something to do with the better weather we've enjoyed this week so we could get out more.  But it makes me feel like a better mom, I am so glad we've made these adjustments.  I really didn't think we could do it.  Thanks for all of your encouraging words!

4 comments:

Tracy Giles said...

I'm so glad that Sophie is finding fun stuff to do! Some days I feel like how could I ever live without TV, but when I get over the first little hump, it feels like I never needed it to begin with. Lily has impressed me so much with how little she actually needs it. I agree with you, I feel like a better mom at the end of the day when we haven't had a lot of TV. Now I just need to work on how much time I spend on the computer! We love our Zoo pass! It is a great deal. Let us know when you get one. We would love to go with you.

Inspired said...

I guess I read the tiger post and thought...I can see why this lady has a heart condition. Also congratulations on the TV. You really are a wonderful mom!

mommaquincy said...

I'm glad you had a nice day at the zoo! Your girls are getting bigger every day!

Megan said...

I am glad you put that about TV. I didn't think I did a ton but I sure could improve. We are still waiting for the warmer weather. Looks like you had a fun time at the zoo. That's funny about that lady, I am sure that tiger has had other kids yell at it many times, glad Sophie survived.