I know I am supposed to rest in preparation for the physical demands of labor but I am overwhelmed with the need to "nest."
Nesting instinct: Toward the end of pregnancy, many pregnant women feel an urge to prepare for the impending birth. This burst of energy can lead an expectant mother to clean out the house or organize the nursery, among other behaviors.
Apparently this is an urge we share with many members of the animal kingdom as well (hence the name "nesting"). I've felt pressure to get everything ready for weeks (just ask Dan about the interactive spreadsheet I made a month ago complete with responsibilities, completion dates, and deadlines). But it's a little different now. I'm not sure if it's the pregnancy hormones, which seem to get blamed for any strange behavior in an expecting mother, or just the fear of having other people in my house taking care of things that has caused me to go full-bore into cleaning and organizing everything. Here's some examples of what I've been up to the past couple days:
- cleaning out the fridge
- setting up the bassinet
- packing my bags for the hospital
- cleaning the floors (again)
- cleaning the bathrooms
- washing the sheets
- washing rugs
- dusting
- organizing the pantry
- washing the infant carrier
- cleaning the blinds
At least I am getting something done with all of this nervous energy! I am pretty nervous about labor and delivery, I know I can do it because I have before. But they say you labor for half as long with your 2nd, and Sophie's labor was only 4 hours! How am I supposed to monitor contractions for an hour, get Sophie to a babysitter, and get Dan to come home from school and still have time to make the 40 min drive to the hospital in less than 2 hours? I hope I have time for an epidural. :) I want to smack every nurse that I see who comments, "You are going to go really fast with this one!" I know ok! and I am terrified!! Any good ideas of how to distract myself? How do you find a balance between being ready and obsessed??









7 comments:
I want a copy of your interactive spreadsheet....haha. That is totally something I would do! I am a list maker to the T.
My cute neighbor just had her baby in the parkinglot of the hospital. She made it....just not to the delivery room ;) And she and the baby are just fine! Don't stress, think positive thoughts ;)
I wish my second went as fast as my first. Elise was 8 hours and Melody was 11 1/2! Just focus on Christmas and the wonderful time you will have with one child!
I'm with ya....I spent all last night having contractions cause I was 'nesting' all day. I made Jared sleep with his computer on so I could call him during the night cause I was having so many. I have to say I've drawn the line at cleaning the blinds....I've looked at them several times and thought I should clean them, but I guess I have so many other places in my house that need "nesting" more. Anyway, your decorations looked great! Your baby will come home to a very happy and CLEAN home!
Wow! This sounds like a serious indication of a baby coming soon! Should I just start driving now? I need to get some nesting done around here. I did get 130 invitations ready to go tonight, including your's! We'll see if it gets there before I do!
It's hard to find any sort of balance when you're 8 months pregnant. It's funny how after the baby does finally arrive we find a whole other set of things to obsess about. I love your stocking hangars. Where did you get them?
It's hard to find any sort of balance when you're 8 months pregnant. It's funny how after the baby does finally arrive we find a another set of things to obsess about. I love your stocking hangars. Where did you get them?
What a lucky girl 4 hours for your first one! If she comes as fast as your scared of you won't even need an epidural...and you won't even remember the pain after it is over. I say take a deep breath, realize your normal...all moms obsess...and do whatever you need to to feel ready. Btw your house looks ready!
Post a Comment