Sophie is getting closer to 2 years old everyday and it has been my lovely task to try and discipline the child. My only ammunition when she disobeys is TIMEOUT. I thought it was working because she would come out of it very apologetic and humbled... but today everything changed.
Today she started to say timeout and point to the chair where I usually put her. Which I thought was a good thing at first. "Yea, she's getting it!" I said to myself, but I was wrong. Throughout the day she proceeded to be naughty on purpose and exclaim, "TIMEOUT!!" And then she'd run to the chair smiling and laughing, ready for her "punishment." I didn't know what else to do besides put her in the chair and tell her she was in timeout (as I said, this is my only disciplinary tool), to which she would happily reply, "yeah, timeout me!" I left the room so she could think about what she did and what's that I hear?? singing and laughing. WHHHHAAATT???? She was having a wonderful time in timeout. Grrrrr, now I am a believer in making the best of bad situations but it's frustrating when you're the one trying to make someone miserable! So I went in and shushed her, and reminded her she's in timeout because she had been naughty.
Well, not even an hour later Sophie smiled and hit me in the face and said, "TIMEOUT!" I begrudgingly set her in the chair where she said, "timeout, shhhhh." Obediently remembering what I had told her last time. How can I be mad at her for remembering? Well, this time I decided to close the door to the room so she would feel more alone and maybe sad (isn't that terrible of me?). She starting crying and screaming. "SUCCESS!" ...I thought.
Two more times today she intentionally disobeyed and sent herself to timeout. So I would shut her in the room and she'd cry. Am I getting through? Is she actually learning cause and effect or is she just toying with me?
Advice, ideas, and/or sympathy are most welcome. :)









11 comments:
Oh my gosh...I think that is really funny. I'm sorry...I know you're frustrated, but it is kind of funny! I'm sorry, I don't really have any suggestions except maybe putting her in time out in different places?? I don't know...she's still so young you can't really do anything else! I'm sorry. Good luck with that one!!
Oh man,this is why I don't have kids, I wouldn't know what to do either. Especially because she seems to be at an age where there isn't much more you can do to punish her.
My sister's kids are older (4 and 6) and when they do something naughty, they have to lean their back against the wall with their legs bent in an imaginary chair (you know, so it really makes your thighs burn).
The threat of that "timeout chair" strikes fear into their little hearts.
No advice here. I am too under-qualified -- just kudos for a very funny post. Sophie is hilarious. I'm sorry to laugh about it, but you have a clever and naughty little girl!!! Thanks for making me laugh today!!
aaaahhhh........all I've got is sympathy. Hopefully the shutting the door thing works cause I don't know what people did before time-out. I know there must be other things to do, but I think I've been brainwashed to think that time-out is THE punishment for little kids. Good luck.
Just keep being consistent. Maybe try changing the timeout spot. It's more important that they know they are in timeout for what they did, not about where they sit for it. But just make sure she doesn't get away with being bad. Especially before baby #2 comes. But your a great mom! Watching you with Sophie made me realize I need to do better with Elise.
I have to say that I've dealt with that same exact dilemma with both of my boys.
I really think it's the age and even though she is acting happy and excited to be in timeout it's part of their discovery of the way that cause and effect works.
If that makes sense... I read that they are excited about the fact that they "get it" not the fact that they are in timeout.
Isn't it kind of funny though, the way that we seem to be striving to make them cry. I always thought it was funny that when they cry I feel successful. Then when I see their little sad faces I feel bad and have to reassure myself that they need to learn a lesson.
Obviously, we don't like it when they cry but it's the only way that we have some kind of evidence that we might be getting through to them.
You're are a great, patient, loving mother. We all have doubts and trials in parenting. Just keep up the good work! You are doing wonderful and Sophie is blessed to have such a good mommy!
Soo funny when you aren't the mom! I think that kids like to know that there are boundaries. It makes them feel safe and happy to know that someone loves them enough to give them rules and to punish them. Sophie may be naughty and she may just be reassuring herself that she has boundaries to keep her safe. Sorry she's so dang smart.
I've been there, and I am sorry you are going through it. It is VERY FRUSTRATING. It is my opinion that nearly 2 is not too young for discipline. There is no simple answer though. Parenting seems to be more trial and error than beginner's luck. Keep trying new things until you find something that works. If timeouts aren't working then it might be time to try something else.
I loved this post!!! First of all, if I were you, I would call Caitlyn...I'm sure she knows the answer to this...have her tell you why when I put her in time out she acted the same way Sophie does!(I can hardly wait till her kids do that to her) One thing we tried, not sure how successful it was, but it was really interesting and entertaining, was discuss with the little kids what they thought was an appropriate punishment for the crime. Some of their ideas were so cute and creative. In the end, I don't believe anything matters more than letting them feel like we love them regardless (and sometimes that is really hard to do!). "Keep your arms and legs in and have fun" Your are in for a great ride.
I tagged you Jessica, so go to my blog and check it out!
Oh how funny! I feel the same way as you. Disciplining has to be the hardest thing about parenting!!! Good luck though. I am sure you are doing great!
Post a Comment