Thursday, August 9, 2012

and the Chapmans keep MARCHing on…

Did you like my pun in the title?  This post is random stuff from March.

Jacob at 8 months.

jacob 8 monthday 2 jacob 8 monthday

I like the light shining through Jacob’s ears, they’re pretty awesome ears.  The girls making necklaces one morning.

jacob eating necklaces sophie and tessa

Matt and Cami brought their girls up for a visit we visited a park in our neighborhood with the kids while the guys went to the hardware store (this is the visit when they trimmed our tree I posted about before).

park emma park lily 2

Sophie was SO PROUD of herself for being brave enough to slide down these slopped bars on her arms, she was yelling at the teen girls that were nearby to watch her.

park jacob smile 2 park sophie

Oh, and Tessa has a passion for swinging.  I’m anxious for her to master pumping herself, I have to supply underdogs quite often these days.

park sophie 3 park tess swing smile

I complain about pushing them in swings, but I don’t really mean it.  The truth is that I am terrified for my kids to grow up!  The world is a scary place.  Sophie starts kindergarten next week and while I know kindergarten is pretty innocent, in many ways I feel like it’s the beginning of the end of the time of her life where I have control influence over her.  Before I know it she’ll be at school more than she’s at home.  I know mom’s have a big influence on their children for life, but I also remember being in school and as I approached my teen years (and especially then!) I started to value the opinions of my peers and teachers over my parents.  And THAT terrifies me!  I think most people are good, but unfortunately good people make lots of mistakes too.  It’s just so weird to hold on to them so carefully for so long and know what they are doing pretty much every minute and then, all the sudden, I am told to “just let them go” and they are at the mercy of those they are surrounded by and I have no control, no knowledge, no ability to step in before her feelings are hurt or her innocence is taken.  To trust is so hard!  Especially to trust those you don’t know with those you love most!!  It sounds so crazy doesn’t it?  But somehow I will have to get used to it.  I hope I don’t become complacent.  And MAN, do I think those teachers are so lucky to get to spend time with my kids!  I’d love a pep talk from you moms who’ve sent kids off to school, why am I doing this again?

5 comments:

Ann said...

Keep teaching them what is right, and making good choices. Always keep a good line of communication open bettween you and your children. They will tell you things like "so and so" is mean to me or said this to me. Try and talk it our with them. And of course teach your kids who can touch them where and who can't. I will ask Elise at random times about that because you just don't know. If you have a day where you have an un easy feeling say a prayer. Now a days it's so great you can email the teacher so easily. Also ask if you can volunteer at their class, then you can see whats going on a little bit more. I traded babysitting with a friend so I didn't have to take my other kids most of the time. You're a great parent. Keep teaching your kids to be a good person that makes good choices. Love ya!

Inspired said...

Ha ha I do leadership education with my kids, so I don't have personal ecperience with sending them off to school (I know that is not for everyone) so the best advice I have ever heard (from a mom who has wonderful kids) is that to ALWAYS be at the crossroads, do more listening then talking and kids get skin hungry so if they aren't getting loves, snuggles and hugs from you when they are home they are going to go searching for it elsewhere. Good luck!

mommaquincy said...

I say get to know the teachers at her school so you know where you want to her to be next year. I always knew the teachers and was so impressed with almost all of them. Josh had a scary kindergarten teacher and if I did it over I'd take him out of that class immediately instead of listening to the principal telling me he needed to finish out the year.

Mary said...

You're still in control, Jess. There are a lot of great people who will influence Sophie, but she's first and foremost your charge. The most comforting thought to me is that the Lord's on my side. My advice (like someone else's above) is to listen, love, and follow your instincts. Enjoy this new chapter of parenting! I love to know that we're both going through this at the same time;)

Summer said...

I am feeling the same emotions as you, since noah is starting kindergarten next week too. i'm sure i'm more nervous and anxious than he is.