Tuesday, August 30, 2011

our traditional (and lazy) newborn photo shoot

08 13_on dan hand 7 08 13_sitting up on dan

We started this photo shoot idea when Sophie was a few weeks old and ever since my mom has demanded asked that all of her kids take a picture of her grandkids on their fathers’ hand to be framed for her home.  It’s a fun tradition.  I have to say that newborns are hard to photograph! 

08 13_sitting up on dan 4 08 13_on dan hand tounge

I must admit: I am a lazy photographer, I don’t take much time to set things up, it’s definitely my weakness in photography.  I hate posing people or thinking about the details of how everything should look.  I just like to shoot pictures of the kids as they play or couples as they interact, I can make pictures work in most situations but creating the situation is quite different. 

  08 13_head up being arranged08 13_head up 2 crop

Newborns take a ton of posing, planning, and patience.  You know all those cute posed pictures you see of newborns sleeping in different places/poses… they look so care free but they’re not!  Those photographers have to heat the surfaces so the kids will sleep there, moms have to time feedings and naps so they baby will be ready… ugh, not my cup of tea! 

08 13_side whole body

So here are the photos we took on the spur of the moment, without planning, heating or lighting equipment, not as good as the others, but good enough for us! :)

08 13_side calm

He’s such a handsome boy!  He reminds us of both of our girls, but he seems to have a different nose, it’s more manly.

08 13_side look up

Here’s our attempt at doing a boy-ish prop, with the girls I used bows, pearls, and a feather boa… but this is all I could come up with for a boy, a star blanket and a toy basketball.  It works I think.  Oh, I just want to go kiss him looking at these pictures!!

08 13_bball   Words cannot describe how much I love our little guy.  It’s impossible for me to pick him up without kissing him several times, I’m completely smitten!  He’s a great baby, goes to sleep on his own I just swaddle him and lie him in his bed, no rocking necessary!  (although sometimes I do, just because it’s fun to rock a baby to sleep)  He doesn’t fuss unless he’s hungry.  It would seem that he’s got his dad’s intestines… if you know what I mean (he’s gassy!) but that usually isn’t a problem for him.  And he’s a great eater, what more could we ask for?

08 13_on stomach

Just for fun, here’s a side by side (by side) comparison of our 3 kiddos, I’ve been thinking he looks EXACTLY like Tessa lately, but now that I have put their pictures next to each other, I think Jacob looks a bit like both of his older sisters! 

Jacob Soph Tess comparison

What do you think?  Does he look like me or Dan?  I think he looks a ton like his dad’s baby photo!  But everyone says he looks a lot like me, maybe it’s the eyes?  It doesn’t matter, of course.  But it’s always fun to see the similarities!

jacob mom and dad comparison

We love you Jacob!!

08 14_jacob sleeping squished face

12 comments:

Ambs said...

Wow Jess, I cannot believe all of the hair on this kid's head!! it's beautiful! :) Your babies are beautiful and your pictures are beautiful... even if you didn't heat up the surfaces and time your feedings ;)

Muffy said...

Yay! We get to comment first! Cute pictures!! Props to you for being such an excellent photographer that you didn't need to plan, or use heat or lighting equipment! Jack and I both think that Jacob looks more like you.

Summer said...

He really is a cute little guy. I think your pictures look great. I was really good at taking newborns of noah, but really bad at getting ava or grants done. So good job on keeping up the tradition with your third. I love the one with the basketball, it looks like he has a a little smile on his face. Guess he might grow up and play b ball.

Nicole said...

I love the one on Dan's hand with his tongue poking out. I think he looks like Dan, but with your coloring. Can't wait to meet him next week and kiss those cheeks myself!!

Mary-Anne said...

So cute!!! Oh, he's so cute. I just LOVE his hair! I can't tell who he looks more like, but he sure is adorable!

Ali said...

He is SO adorable! I can't stand it! Love his hair and yes, he looks like Dan but with your eyes? You make cute, cute babies!

Amy said...

So sweet Jessica. I can't wait to meet him in person :)

Lyles said...

Oh my goodness, I love his hair! What a darling little boy! And I think the pictures look great!

mommaquincy said...

I love the pictures! First time I saw his belly button! I think he has some of both of you, but with the coloring he looks alot like you and Tessa.

Kolbi Young said...

Oh that last photo of him sleeping is my favorite. You just want to kiss those precious cheeks! I think he's a good mix of both girls when you compare the baby photos....although my first thought was that he looked more like Tessa. We shall see as he gets bigger :)

Tifani said...

He is so absolutely adorable!! I loved all of the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the last picture! He is so ADORABLE!!