These past 2 weekends have been wonderful I absolutely love having Dan home. This weekend we enjoyed watching this:
We borrowed it from the library and I think that we've watched it at least 12 times now. Sophie just loves the "dancine prinneses." And so does Dan... if you can imagine. There is one part where one of the princesses says, "I wish I could dance with a handsome prince too!" No idea why, this line is Sophie's favorite part and she has been saying, "I wish dance prin two!!" constantly.
But, I digress. Dan's just 2 weeks into the semester and I've survived my first 2 weeks home alone with both kids. Honestly, adding another child to our family was a bigger adjustment than I anticipated. (sorry to all of my friends pregnant with their 2nd child) I'm still figuring out how to take care of 2 children AND myself. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade the joy my children bring me for anything. But I really do cherish the weekends when I have Dan home to lighten the load. During the week I find myself lingering in the shower for longer so I can enjoy the time to myself, yeah one of the kids could be crying... but I can't hear them so I don't have to worry about it!! Most of the time things are under control but there are PLENTY moments of chaos as well. I feel recharged and ready to tackle another week after I have Dan's help for a few days, he does such a wonderful job.
Speaking of chaotic moments, I just about lost it this Sunday...
Sacrament meeting is about to begin when we sit down with one child who needs to go out and nurse any minute (I am hoping to hold her off until after I can take the sacrament) and the other whose lip is still quivering since she has been crying for 2 hours in nursery (a new development since Tessa's arrival). Dan is asked to pass the sacrament and leaves to go sit up front. Cue the almost two-year-old's tears...

She screams "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy!!" I hand Tessa to a friend sitting behind us and hold the emotional basket case and distract her with some crackers. After a few emotional sightings of her father during the administration of the sacrament Dan is back to help me so I can go feed the now crying Tessa, HURRAY!
I quickly whisk Tessa away and head for the mother's room. NOT TOO FAST!! I turn around in the foyer and Dan is behind me, scaring me a little since I didn't know he followed me out. He informs me that he is performing in the choir after the first speaker and doesn't know what to do with Sophie. So lucky me, I get both kids in the mother's room with me. Thankfully there are some toys in our mother's room, so I pull a few out for Sophie and start to feed Tessa. Sophie snubs the toys and begins to throw a tantrum asking for her father again. I put Tessa down so I can hurry and close the door that was slightly ajar, locking myself in the room with Sophie the monster. I go back to my crying baby (Tessa) to continue feeding her and attempt to hold Sophie at the same time to comfort her. This only makes the crying LOUDER due to her close proximity. Cue the Sophie explosion...
Sigh... she climbs down and continues to cry by the door, adding some rather impressive kicking. I just want to start crying too wondering how much longer it will be until Dan is finished. It's then I realize something awful... we didn't arrange a Sophie pick up for when he was done singing, for all he knows Sophie is happily playing with toys while Tessa eats and I catch a cat nap!!! Now I really feel like crying, what if he's not coming at all? I continue to try and talk Sophie into either playing with the toys or sitting with me to no avail for what seems like 30 mins. Until I can't take it any more. I set Tessa down in the chair grab my screaming banshee (aka - Sophie) and barrel into the chapel to throw her at Dan. (Asking a friend on the way to go keep and eye on Tessa for me.)
What do I see?? NO DAN!! The choir has returned to their seats but Dan isn't there. So after making a bit of a spectacle by bringing the banshee into the meeting and asking where Dan was I retreat back to the foyer. And proceed to storm down the hall prepared to chuck Sophie into the men's bathroom. But then I see him... Dan's in the hall shooting the breeze with a friend!!!!! I feel as though I have been fighting World War IV just down the hall and he's engaging in casual conversation. I all but throw her at him and ask him where he's been. The poor man has no idea about WWIV and is no wonder confused and scared by my hostility, he tells me they just got done singing. "Yeah right," I retort under my breath as I run back to the Mother's room.
These situations aren't as exaggerated in the privacy of our own home. I don't do well under stress sometimes and often take everything out on my dear husband. Sorry Dan. I'm afraid this post doesn't make much sense in the end since I started out saying how much I enjoy the weekends and getting recharged and then decided to share a story involving a lot of stress and chaos that took place over the weekend... oh well! I guess the truth is that there is chaos and crisis not matter what day of the week it is, but having someone to share it with (or blame things on) helps out a lot!
In other random news (just for journaling purposes) Sophie pooped on the potty Sunday for the first time. We are not potty training her yet (although she is ready, I AM NOT) but since she came to me and told me she needed to poo (by saying, "stinky") I decided she might as well do it on the toilet instead of her diaper. We made a big deal and were really excited but she wasn't sure what was going on. Any potty training advice? I am open to suggestions as we anticipate this momentous occasion.









8 comments:
Jess, I think that you should tell Dan that he is in charge of Sophie in sacrament meeting. He can arrange to have a friend tend her while he passes the sacrament, sings or whatever. That way he will not be shooting the breeze while you are stuck with 2 needy kids.
Of couse you will have lots of help this Sunday, so save it for the next week.
As for the potty training, Dr. Folland said to not make a big deal out of the successes or mistakes, especially with a strong willed kid (mistakes I made with Jason). Just put her on when she tells you, that way you won't be more stressed, and she may decide that she likes the potty better than a wet or poopy diaper.
Hopefully she will decide she loves the nursery again soon!
Oh I'm so happy I'm not the only one that has moments like this. Just keep communicating with with Daniel (he's not a mind reader) and just remember there is always prayer. (I use that a ton) Just give it a few more weeks and you will have everyone in a routin. Also church can be crazy especially if you both a demanding callings. I always bring a bottle of breastmilk to church so in case of whatever might happen your poor baby will get fed in some way. Anyone can do that, but only you can deal with Sophie. She's been through a lot in the last month, just try and give her the love and attention she needs and she will calm down more. Also gold star to Sophie! Yay for pooping in the potty! But I would wait at least another month before you go hard core.
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Can I just tell you that I SO feel for you!!! It's just nice to know that I am not the only one that gets overwhelmed and takes it all out on my unsuspecting hubby.
If they only knew the things we go through!
Anyway, I have NO potty training advice at all!
I made the mistake of "forcing" Deklan into potty training before he was ready and it was a nightmare.
Now I have 2 two year olds that are both ready, but I'm not! I am so overwhelmed by the idea of trying to potty train two kids at the same time that I am putting it off for now. Until I get the courage!
I must say that I love your mother and her sensible + caring comments. We've had to accept help with our kids, especially at church. And believe it or not, someday soon Sophie and Tess will be good for each other in situations like church. With Freddie to entertain her, Charlotte will now sit through an entire sacrament meeting--once an impossibility. I'm sure, with parents like you, your little darlings will be the good examples to all the other screaming children at church in no time!
I love you Jess. Hang it there.
On an unrelated topic, where do you go to do your digital scrapbooking?
I love your picture of the explosion. That is a perfect explanation.
You make having kids sound so fun!!
Hang in there.
I also loved your story! I am sorry that it happened, but at the same time it is fun that you recorded it! Just remember it won't be like this forever, my dad told me when I had my son that I should enjoy every moment (even if it is a few hours later and after a good cry) because the time passes so quickly when they are little, I am glad to see that you are doing it too!
I'm sorry Jessica. You are doing such a great job, though, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with her child (poor innocent thing) and husband (not always so innocent) :) I'm sorry that it was my husband who was distracting Dan from helping you, too. We can always help you guys in sacrament meeting, too. I love the cute pictures you posted yesterday! You do have 2 really cute girls!
I am just catching up on the blogging thing since I totally know how you feel with trying to get anything accomplished with 2 kids. I hear you on this one! I have only done if for two weeks now, it is hard. The shower thing, I totally agree with! Also, Tessa looks beautiful in her blessing dress. She is such a beautiful baby. I think it is totally normal to feel how you felt here, it happens to all of us now and then.
Post a Comment