We were able to go home for Grandad's funeral last week thanks to Dan's parents (a huge THANKS again for the plane tickets guys!). Here are some pictures from our trip.
At Grandad's viewing:

the funeral:

It was really great to see our new niece Melody again, I only saw her for a few minutes before we left town during our last visit and Dan hadn't ever met her. Holding her makes me excited to have a newborn in the house again. I really think they bring a special sort of spirit with them that always makes me feel closer to heaven with them around. She is really sweet. Sophie loved to talk to Melody and show her her belly. I think that's because Sophie thinks she has a baby in her tummy like me and she thought they could relate??? We also got to see Dan's brother Matt and his wife Cami for the first time since last Christmas. They hadn't seen Sophie since she was 10 months old! She is now almost twice that age, so it was good they could get reacquainted.
I think my favorite thing to watch was Sophie with her cousin Elise, they are 7 months apart in age but that disparity is smaller each time they get together. This trip they were inseparable! They were always together running around the house and playing games. I loved how Elise would hold her cheeks with her hands and exclaim, "Sophers!" over and over again, no matter how long they had been playing. Sophie called out her cousin's name, "Eese" whenever she was out of sight.
Sidenote: When we took the girls swimming Sophie didn't have her nerd suit (the one with floatation built in) but she still thought she could swim. She is so independent that she would be completely submerged with a huge grin and her eyes wide open just kicking her legs and flailing her arms. I would pull her up out of the water and she was mad at me for helping her. She thinks she's a fish I guess. Also notice Elise's HUGE plastic pants about 3 times the size of her swim suit bottoms and Sophie's borrowed (thanks again Ann) swim suit that was too small so it showed a bit too much cleavage! We got some good laughs out of their appearance but they did not care one bit.
It was so great to see my family too, we had dinner with them Saturday night before the priesthood session to celebrate Meg's birthday the day before. Josh and Meg came to pick us up and surprised us with the news that THEY'RE ENGAGED!!! Josh has been through a lot with his divorce and it means so much to me to see him happy again, I had almost forgot what it was like. Meg is a beautiful girl, inside and out and we're so glad to have her join our family. They are tentatively planning on December 30th, pending a sealing clearance. I just hope I can be there... since my baby is due on the 25th, but either way I am sure it will be a happy day. I couldn't be happier for them, congrats you two!
We hung out with some of our friends one night and I didn't take any pictures of the adults... but here's one of the kids. We had so much fun playing a game called Buzz Word, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Thanks for a good time guys.
Funny story about this picture. When we were packing for our trip I was having a hard time deciding what dress to bring that was weather and funeral appropriate. Here's Dan and my conversation:Me: Is it okay to wear a bright blue dress to a funeral?
Dan: I guess.
Me: Or would a white and green one be better?
Dan: I like the blue one better... What about this one? (holding a gray/black tweed jumper with black velvet trim)
Me: That's a WINTER dress honey, I would look ridiculous in that, it's 80 degrees outside!
Boy was I wrong!! It snowed Saturday night in Utah. Luckily I had my jogging jacket and a sweater for Sophie (her dress is sleeveless).
Boy was I wrong!! It snowed Saturday night in Utah. Luckily I had my jogging jacket and a sweater for Sophie (her dress is sleeveless).
A funeral definitely isn't the ideal reason to get together, but we were so glad we could be there and also that we could enjoy the resulting time with family and friends.















11 comments:
Sorry about the circumstances, but yeah for you getting to visit everyone! I'm completely jealous and wish we could see more of our family. And I'm SO happy for Josh and Meg! Jess, I love to read your blog. I don't comment nearly enough, but I can peek in and really get a feel for your life, which always looks so fun. Great picture documentation (Erika would be proud) and commentary. I hope you're saving these posts as a journal or something.
LOVE, Mary
It was great to see you guys! Sophie has grown up soo much since you were here in August. You've grown quite a bit yourself!
I'm glad that we live so close to the Chapmans.
Funny story about the plastic pants. So I washed and dryed them and they were one big melted mess! Oops! I'm so glad we got to see you guys and now we have to wait a full 4 days before we see you again! :)
Sorry about the reason you were back in Utah, but I'm glad you were able to go back and see everyone!! I sure do love those visits home! :)
It's always nice to come home, even though the circumstances weren't ideal. You look great. That is funny about Sophie and the baby-in-her-belly comment. Brinklee thinks the exact same way!
That's funny about the picture and your dress. The weather is crazy. Glad you guys got to come home. HOpe all continues to go well. When are you do again?
We were so happy to see you guys, but did wish the circumstances were different. Thanks for being so great!
I'm sorry for your family's loss, although it sure makes you feel better knowing he was greeted by long, lost friends and family! What a comfort the knowledge of eternal families is!!!
The summer dress issue is certainly something I would do. When I went to Spain, I packed almost all spring/summer clothes. And while I was there, it was unseasonably cold! Most of my phots I have on the same pair of pants and sweatshirt! Thanks to my mom for throwing those items in at the last minute, or I would have had to go shopping!
Wow, this is like the longest you've ever gone without posting...I love all the new pics. Your brother looks very happy and even though I don't know him, I am happy that he is happy after hearing all he's been through. Oh ya and the blue dress is cute....who cares if you have to freeze....you look great! Glad to have you back.
We're kind of surprised you didn't add a little more detail to that game of "buzzword" Jessica, like your slip of the tongue and such... it was a lot of fun. Glad we got to see you guys again!
We're so glad we got to see you guys. Especially before Sophie gets any bigger! I'm still chuckling about the girls' swimming suits :) That was hilarious!
Post a Comment