Thursday, May 17, 2012

our HUGE living room wall

So, for those of you who don't know (which is probably none of you) we bought a house beginning of this year!  We are so so so excited to be done with apartment life forever (we hope) and are really loving home ownership.  Sure, it's expensive, and tons of work but it's totally worth it!  I need to post pictures of our house but that's not happening today, sorry.  But I do want to post some pictures of our living room because I am looking for ideas.  Plus sometimes just blogging about something helps get my creative juices flowin'.  So here's what the living room looks like today:

05 17 12_living room

We haven't done anything to the room except add furniture and paint the mantel white.  I'm ok with the sitting furniture, I found them both for awesome deals on craig's list.  But I think it may be time to upgrade our small little "entertainment center" which is really just a sofa table.  The huge wall it's on really dwarfs the poor thing.  Which brings me to my main problem with this room... the GIANT wall!!  The room is taller than it is wide and it's really kind of awkward.

05 17 12_living room huge wall

Now what to do with it?  I know a giant dream catcher would be cool... but not really my style. :)  I've looked and looked on Pinterest for a wall like mine and the ones I've found with high ceilings that look good have neat architectural elements, like wood planks for example, or arches like these:

But I can't do that!  Here's some things I thought about: picture wire, or double crown molding.

Here's a few of examples of double crown molding:

 

Also, I LOVE built-in entertainment centers...

But how do I do built-ins with a wall that isn't symetrical?  And there's a window on one side.  I had the thought yesterday that I could try putting a mirror or something to mimic the window on the other side of the wall, here's me trying to "picture" that my adding a mirror in photoshop and then adding an entertainment center:

05 17 12_living room huge wall w a mirror 05 17 12_living room huge wall w mirror and entertainment center

I know the angles of the things I added are all wrong, but I don't know how to fix that, but it still helps me to picture it.  I'm afraid to add a big entertainment center because look how visually "heavy" it makes the bottom of the room compared to the top. 

Since I'm doing so well in photoshop this afternoon (wink wink) ... let's try adding some crown molding to go under the overhang!  and painting the wall?  Now the angles are sorts of crazy.  Yikes.  I might try and do a different shade or color on top...

05 17 12_living room huge wall w mirror and entertainment center and molding  living room painted with rainwashed top and bottom

Compare it again to how it looks now...  I think it looks better, but is there something else I haven't thought of?

05 17 12_living room huge wall living room rainwashed bottom nuthatch top

What are your thoughts? Would this be an improvement?  Any other ideas I should try?  Should I do all of it, or just parts?  What would you do?  Anyone want to tell me what to do? :)  Clearly, I'm having a hard time figuring this out and I'd love to hear some of your opinions.  Home decorating is intimidating compared to apartments!  Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for the opportunity, but I am intimidated.  Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

mommaquincy said...

I love the double crown molding and paint look. I think that the mirror beside the built in entertainment center would be too much. Just have it off center. I cna't wait to see the next developement!

Kristen said...

i love the double crown molding w the different colors, a darker one being at the top. and your photoshop skills are pretty good, idk what to do w it after i open the program

Erin said...

I think I would just mount the tv on the wall and put up lots of pictures all around it. I also like the double crown molding, but I think I would have it start at the bottom of the top window. I can't decide if I'd do the dark on the top or bottom...looks like a cool house!!! Can't wait to see more.

Mary-Anne said...

Oh my gosh, congrats on buying a house! That's so great! Sorry...I have no ideas. Our house still needs lots of help. Lots and lots. So I'll have to get ideas from what you do. :)

Summer said...

Jess, I LOVE this kind of stuff. Here are my 2 cents. First of all I would love to see the other walls and how they flow (i.e. what's beyond the opening, past the fire place, etc.). If this where my house I would draw attention away from that wall. Any room that has a fireplace in it, I think that should be the focal point. I would frame in the fireplace a little, to match the mantel. Actually, I'm going to email you since this could be long and I want to sent you pictures.

mommaquincy said...

They make some really cool picture frames for flat screen tvs I saw at the frame shop in the River Bottom