Here are a few random gifts I’ve made and pictured lately:
I love these fabric balls, the pattern is for small, medium, and large balls, I only made the small and medium. I need to make some for my house, I like toys that are thrown to be SOFT so they don’t injure me, the children, or other things in the house. I will totally make more of these.
The stuffed pig didn’t really turn out like the pattern she’s supposed to stand up on her legs, not belly flop… but still kind of cute I think. I did a terrible job on his nose, it was so hard! Pattern can be found here. I don’t think I’ll make another piggy with this pattern.
This is an old picture, (a year ago seeing that Sophie’s birthday party game is behind her) but I made 8 hooded towels similar to this, for all my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I don’t know if they like them or not, but my girls sure like theirs! I sort of used this pattern, but I changed it a bit. If you have an interest, maybe I’ll make a tutorial for how I like them best next time I make one. I’ve found if I make the top flat instead of pointed they stay on much better.
I’ve also made a few of these clever receiving blankets with ric-rac trim between the layers. Probably not a new concept to most of you, but it was to me! Really the most practical baby gifts are receiving blankets and pj’s don’t you think? I go through so many with how many times my babies poop on their clothes and blankets a day those first few months. This is a pattern I’ll use again and again. (already have)
I started something that I’ve wanted to HAVE for a long time but lacked the motivation to MAKE… a quiet book. What got me going was the tempting offer from my cousin Mary. She offered to organize quiet book groups so each of us could make multiples of the same page and then we will all swap! I am making 9 of these apple tree quiet book pages and will keep one send the other 8 off and receive 8 different pages from others! So much more time and cost efficient to do it this way… I think, not that I’ve done it any other way. :) If I want to get more pages would any of you be interested in making a group with me and doing the same thing? (assuming I know you) By the way, anyone with felt experience? Do I need to use a sewing machine to make the button holes last? Or can I just cut a hole without reinforcing it? I know felt doesn’t fray but I think it may stretch.
What crafts have you been working on? I’d love to hear.









10 comments:
The baby blanket is perfect - considering when I started to crochet the edges of one in Merry Miss....I never finished and my mother found in my room while I was at college and finished it for me.....Pretty much typical of all my sewing endeavors :)
The quiet book - I bought one at a craft boutique for $28.....which is more than I would like to spend....but I have no time or patience to make my own. But all of the pieces in our book are reinforced even though it is felt. However, my MIL has one from when her kids were young and has had to make replacements for missing or worn out pieces. So if the button holes wear, the apples could easily be replaced.....
You are so talented. everything looks lovely! If you have questions about felt, you should ask ashley hillyard. she made a beautiful quiet book with felt!
Definitely love the fabric balls. i really need to make some for Gavin considering he throws EVERYTHING in sight.
I would love to do the quiet book 'exchange.' I tons of pages all ready, but there are tons of ideas that I haven't done.
In my experience the felt stretches a lot, and especially with the smaller pieces I was very worried it would tear right through, so I did button holes on as many things that I could manage. But it isn't too hard to just cut out another apple. Maybe you could just sent a few replacement apples with it to save you the time.
Nice work! I would be happy to button hole your apples for you, since your machines doesn't do them and you can't sew right now. You have to finish by the end of the month?
The felt will stretch. I would reinforce it if I were doing it. The page looks super cute. I am totally in to do a page exchange. I have a quiet book that I love, but my kids fight over it. I could use another one.
I love my blanket by the way. :) The ric-rac is so fun.
I love everything!! Great job on it all! I would love a tutorial of the bath towels, I've been wanting to make some. I think they're the greatest!
I would totally be game for a quiet book group. My mom keeps wanting to make some, but we can't really ever find any patterns, so I would love to do that!
I would love to do a page exchange! What a good idea.
Such cute crafts. I need a quiet book (only if they really work, LOL!) I love the story of Tessa with the spider. She is so cute. I can't wait to hear what you are having:)
You are so talented Jess! adn the apple tree looks awesome! I think the button holes should probably be reinforced, but I wouldhn't sweat it if they're not...we can always do it ourselves!
Post a Comment