Wednesday, February 2, 2011

some projects finished, finally

Bookshelf

Before: (camera phone pic in the thrift store)  Cost $15  After: we added molding to the top and bottom ($20) and painted it white ($10).  Then removed the backing and glued on some fabric ($5) and put the backing on again.  Total cost: $50

book case before book case after

Here’s how I currently have it now, completely FULL and way too busy!  I read some great tips for decorating book shelves here, that I plan to put into practice.  Step 1 will be moving all the movies into the white dresser.  I have made some efforts in my thrift store milk glass collection on the top  shelf, nifty I think.  And I am really excited to keep collecting cheap BLUE books for the 2nd shelf, fun way to add color to the shelves I think.  (Not my idea, got it here where she color-coded her books.)  Also, a very small addition was made to the couch, I sewed that pillow at the edge of the 2nd picture, it’s fabric is the negative of the fabric on the back of the book case and the same as my entryway chair.

book shelf - full living room w new pillow portrait book shelf - my blue books

Picture Wall 

I also FINALLY put up my vinyl lettering which has been sitting on the desk for over 3 months.  So I can show you the picture wall finished.  This wall only cost me $7 in paint for the frames and $15 for the vinyl lettering.  I already had all the frames and photos just lying around.  I painted the frames and Dan hung them back in October but I was just nervous about the commitment of putting up the vinyl and not being able to move it if I messed up.  It really wasn’t that hard, my fears were unfounded.  I am quite pleased with how it all came together.

picture wall - after picture wall - pics up

15 comments:

Ali said...

I LOVE these!!

We have a brown book shelf just like that. Oh my, you have inspired me!

Mary-Anne said...

Oh, that is so cute! I love the picture wall idea. And...that bookcase is adorable! So, I am wanting to paint an old dresser we have white but don't really know how to go about it. I bought some of that Kilz primer stuff? So I guess you just spray that on first and then paint it white? If you have any tips let me know! Yours turned out GREAT!

Kristen said...

everything looks fantastic! love the bookshelf

Zac & Chelsea said...

The picture wall looks great and I really like the bookshelf. I meant to say something a book club but never got a chance. I think your apartment looks great!

Kolbi Young said...

Looks great! I love to see before and afters :) Two diy decorating sites I am loving lately, if you haven't already checked them out are:

http://www.younghouselove.com/
http://www.dwellingsbydevore.com/

I'm going to implement a color coded bookshelf...the blue looks great against the B/W fabric!

Inspired said...

Great job Jessica!!! I bet it brings you so much satisfaction to walk into your livingroom and know that your touches are what make it your home! Keep the projects coming!

mommaquincy said...

Nice work! I think that it all turned out great! If you need the bookshelf to keep some of those things in you could put them in baskets. We probably have some you could use.

Erin said...

Very cute! I love the bookshelf idea. I am going to have to keep my eyes open for a cute one at the DI.

Josephine said...

Hi there, so sorry to disturb you, but I got the link to your blog from a blogger help website. Great blog you got here! I was wondering if you could help a poor gal out, I'm close to giving up after countless hours spent online attempting to find out how to successfully align my blog to the left like you've beautifully done. Please help me, I'd be forever greatful if you did ;)
bisous

Jessica said...

Sure Josephine! I hope you see this comment, your name has no link so I don't have any other way of contacting you. My blog is this way due to the template I've selected which is blogger's Minima STRETCH lefty template. I made my blog a long time ago so I hope it's still available! But just go to the design tab and click on the template designer link and look for it. Good luck!

Jenelle said...

I love seeing your projects! You are so talented. They look great- as always!

Andrea said...

It looks great - you did a really good job!

Anonymous said...

Love the bookshelf idea!! I'm definitely going to try it!

Megan said...

Looks great!! You did a great job. Looks like you had a great Christmas holiday. I would be scared being followed by any animal. I once was jogging in Alaska and almost ran into a moose, I gasped and froze. He was like 5 feet away.

Lisa Nielsen said...

The bookshelf is soooo cute! Wow you should go into business! I would totally buy that from you:) I love your dresser too. I was just noticing how it looks like it went from 67 degrees to 1 in just a few days! Wow, that's crazy!