Tuesday, December 14, 2010

getting into the season

The day after Thanksgiving I set my alarm for 3:00 am to get to target before they opened at 4 but I slept in until 3:35, I thought all was lost. But I decided to still go give it a try.  I only had until 7 when Dan needed to leave for work and in my experience I end up standing in lines for a couple hours per store (at least) unless we get there at opening.  But I still went, and I am so glad I did!  I had complete success!  I was able to get in and out of target in less than an hour, then had time to drive to Toys R us and arrive shortly after their opening at 5am.  I got everything I wanted there in about 10 min and was only behind one person in line!  So I still had time to get some cheap towels and a few other things at Wal-Mart.  I got home around 6, hid the gifts in storage and went back to bed.  I was very pleased.  Plus in the afternoon I decided to go out with the girls and try to find some $30 boots at JcPenney, a LONG shot I thought.  But I totally scored 2 pairs of boots regularly priced over $100 each for $30 each.  Did anyone else have a similar experience?  Maybe black friday is just different in Denver than Salt Lake.

Anyway… Dan got off of work early in the afternoon so we headed up to the mall to let the girls see Santa.  Here they are waiting in line: Sophie was beside herself, excited.  Tess was oblivious to where we were or what we were doing.

santa - soph waiting santa - tess waiting

When it was our turn we told them we didn’t want to buy a picture package, but I asked if I could take one with my camera… I had to ask… the answer was no.  But this really friendly elf who entertained us in line was happy to oblige!

santa - soph and elf 2

As expected, Sophie ran right up to Santa and answered his questions including her long list of what she wants for Christmas.  While Tessa couldn’t get far enough away from the jolly old elf.  This is the “Magical Ice Palace” where Santa was.  It was snowing inside… pretty amazing huh?

santa - top of snow palacesanta - snow in ice palacesanta - soph in palace 2

We headed over to the crowded play area for a little while and let the girls run.  They always enjoy it.

santa - soph riding skunk santa - tess about to jump

That night for our treat after family scriptures, the girls had their first experience with hot chocolate… I think the pictures make it quite clear how they felt about the beverage!

hot chocolate - soph yelling hot chocolate - tess drinking 2

Is there something on my face?

hot chocolate - tess messy facehot chocolate - soph kissing

Such a fun day, I love family time!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Fun. I'm totally jealous of your boot deal. We never made it to Penney's. Tessa looks like she enjoyed the hot chocolate a little too much! Can't wait to see you guys!

mommaquincy said...

Such a fun day! I hope you got lots of sleep that night! Sophie and Tessa look more alike all the time. Tessa's hair is getting lighter and Sophie's is gettig darker. Of course their eyes are very different colors! Such cute girls! I am so excited to see them next week!!!

Mandy @ Raising Little Dudes said...

I love black friday and scored some pretty great things for nick and the boys...cyber monday was my big win this year though. Nicks present normally 65.00, with Kohls cash and many promo codes, I paid 4.50!!!
We want to give Neacel hot chocolate but don't think he will do well with it. I might have to try just for cute pictures. The girls are getting so big and are as cute as ever!!!