So I’m not much of a meditater, I have always thought that connecting with your chi and yoga poses was all pretty hokey. I’m still not sure about all of it but I can’t deny the results I’ve had from my first 2 runs that I tried to apply some things I learned from this Chi Running book. My first run was my base 5 mile run I do 2 times a week with the girls in our double stroller. I tried to think about the “cotton and steel” the author teaches in his book (if you’re anything like my you’re rolling your eyes at this, but keep reading and just TRUST ME). Anyway I tried to relax my limbs (cotton) and keep my core in-line (steel) for my 5 mile run and it felt really good. It seemed I was working less throughout the run, I was shocked when I finished that I had ran it 4 minutes faster than my average time! That’s HUGE (48 sec/mi faster pace). The kicker was, and I kid you not, that I didn’t feel as fatigued as I usually do, crazy I know. My 2nd run was my LSD (long slow distance) run I do on Saturdays without the stroller. I tried to focus on a few other things I learned from the book like holding in my lower abs and leaning forward this time. I ran further than I ever had, 8 miles, and without trying ran an even faster pace than I did on my 5 mile run 2 days before! I’m shocked. One of the best things about this is that my knees don’t hurt like they usually do. I’m so excited about this. If you’re a runner, I really suggest checking this book out.
I haven’t finished reading it yet, and with my introduction, you may be wondering why I ever picked it up in the first place. I’ll explain, my BIL Brian recommended it after he’s had less pain and great results from it. I shrugged off his recommendation (sorry Brian) but when I was on the library website putting this book on hold;
the Chi Running book also came up in my search so I just put a hold on it too. When my holds arrived I read the Runner’s World book first (and learned a few things) and when I finished, decided I’d skim Chi Running while I had in my possession. I’m really surprised I like it so much. I still haven’t finished the book and it’s past due (since I didn’t pick it up for so long after I checked it out) but I am tempted to go buy it.
For those who are curious, here’s some of the Chi Running basics I’ve learned so far (certainly not all-inclusive):
- maintain good posture, you should be able to see your shoe laces if you look down (I couldn’t) if you can’t, pull in your lower abs rotating your hips w/o tightening your glutes
- keep your core in a straight line (shoulders, hips, and ankles)
- lean forward from your ankles, keeping your body in a straight line (this makes it so you are sort of falling instead of using your leg muscles to push you forward)
- your upper body is extended forward while your legs swing out the back (your knees shouldn’t pump in front of you)
- keep your lower legs limp (chi cannot flow through tight muscles or joints)
- don’t pronate. run along a tightrope, leading with your knees (this is what has helped my knees)
- swing your elbows behind you
- don’t cross your centerline with your hands
This visualization is what has helped me “get it” most of all: think of the fastest animal on the planet, the cheetah. The cheetah doesn’t have big strong rigid legs, he has a strong core (spine) and let’s his legs flop.
Have any of you heard of Chi Running before? What do you think, is it coincidence that my 2 runs were vastly improved or could it be attributed Chi Running? Do you believe in using your chi (defined as the energy force that animates all things) or yoga?
On a completely different note, Tessa was looking fabulous after her strawberry dessert last night. And Sophie’s frizzy hair needs its first hair cut soon.









10 comments:
That sounds really interesting... I want to read it once I start running again! Thanks!
I am super happy that you found an approach that is helping you. Good technique is efficient and prevents injuries. Chi, energy, momentum, I've heard them all. I think they are just names to help you be in tune with your body. Visualizing energy flow and lines is crucial to good dancing. I bet it helps with everything physical to have a good image of what your body is doing.
I love finding a book to help solve a problem...and the book is actually helpful. It sounds like it is working brilliantly. Excellent. :)
Chi? Why don't you just get some Chia seeds while your at it! :) Just kidding, I've heard a lot of other strange things from Brian too. I just think if you find something that works for you, GO with it! And super cute girls!
That sounds cool. I'm sure there's a correlation between your better runs and this chi stuff. Let me know how it goes...
As far as I know Yoga is just about relaxing, stretching and holding positions. Am I missing something? Congrats on the super runs! I'd keep doing the visualising if its working for sure! Your girls are getting so big! BTW my favorite part of this post is the strawberry stuck on Tessa's diaper!
I'm so glad you posted about running, I can't wait to get back into it as soon as I have this baby, or as soon as I'm allowed to. I'm going to read those books!! Thanks!! Yes, we missed you a couple of weeks ago. It would have been fun to have you guys over. Next time!
I run...but I hate it ;) I really think it's the way I run. I am going to get this book from the library! I do stairs when it's rainy outside and I realize it's totally different from running, but I tried to apply a couple of the tips you put down as I did it tonight - like keeping my core in line. It might be coincidence but I normally only do 50 flights and I was able to do 80! I have NEVER done that before. Maybe it's all in my head but I'm getting the book ;) Thanks!
Hey, I used to be super skeptical about all the Chi and energy stuff, but after I married a guy whose mom is a homeopath and reiki master, I cannot deny the results in my health, my exercise, and my temperment. If you have more questions message me.
I hate running, and I probably won't ever do it, but I'm in the same boat with you on the chi/yoga hokeyness! I tried yoga when we got the wii fit & I shocked myself by really enjoying it! I think chi & yoga have a lot of merit, simply because they do make you think a new thought. And who can complain about not hurting while you're working out, whatever the reason??
Post a Comment