Monday, August 25, 2008

Utah Trip part two: parades, movies, games, parks, swimming and play-dough

I took Sophie to a primary party my mom was in charge of Saturday morning. She had a great time, but my favorite picture is this one of her so upset that I decorated her car for the parade. Does it make me a bad person because I love crying baby pictures so much? Saturday afternoon we went to the splash pad, but I already posted those pictures. Later that day I went to a movie with my mom and two sisters Jenny and Joni. We saw Mama Mia!; I loved the movie although I had to laugh out loud when Pearce Brosnan sang... but the girl who played Sophie (yeah that's the character's name in the movie) had an amazing voice! A perfect chick flick for us to go to, I wanted to stand up be silly and sing and dance right along with them! It's always fun to go out with the girls, we haven't done that in way too long.


Here's a snap shot of us playing speed Scrabble with my family Sunday afternoon. (Please excuse my repeat in dresses... I only have one maternity dress, what can I say? I am married to a cheap skate.) Speed Scrabble is much better than regular scrabble each round only takes a couple minutes, I'm still not very good at it but it doesn't take so excruciatingly long to find that out!

Monday morning we went to This is the Place Heritage Park with Sophie's cousin Elise, her mom Ann, my brother Jonathan, and both Grandmas. It was a lot of fun, the girls really liked the train that took us up to the petting zoo, Sophie kept saying, "choo choo!" while Elise would tell us to "wave, c'mon wave" at every horse or house we passed. So cute. The best part of the whole trip for me was when Sophie bent over by sheep and would yell, "BAAAA!!" in their faces; I wish I had caught it on video but the picture will have to do. I don't know if she was trying to communicate or if she was telling them what they should be saying, since they were quietly eating. Sophie enjoyed a pony ride with uncle Jonathan, it was hard to tell how much she liked it or not because she just stared. Elise rode all by herself, what a big girl!

That afternoon we let the girls swim in Grandma Nina's kiddie pool. They had WAY too much fun and played for hours, right through nap time! Dan just can't stand to see a child dry in a swimming suit so he promptly dunked and poured buckets of water on them. I didn't think it was very fair how he could just pick on them while they couldn't even lift enough water (and aim properly) to retaliate. But the girls didn't seem to mind as much as I did, they would just ignore his bad behavior and keep playing as they were. I think my favorite moment was when Elise had a heavy bucket of water she was trying to lift to give to Dan (splashing him all the while) she exclaimed, "MUSCLES!!" So strong. Sophie did have a little pay back when they got of the water (one of the many times they got out for a break) and she was sitting on Dan's lap sharing Chex mix. She was acting so nonchalant that it wasn't until Dan ate a couple of soggy pieces and then caught her in the act that he discovered she was sucking all the salt off and returning them back to the bag! Ha HA!!

Sounds like a full enough day right? NOOO!!! Grandma Nina had more tricks up her sleeve. She whipped out these cute little aprons and this way fun, play-dough set! Sophie hadn't ever seen play-dough before. Before Ann could finish telling me about how Elise tried to eat the play-dough the first time she saw it, Sophie had some in her mouth. We had a good laugh about that.


The girls were absolutely EXHAUSTED after this day full of activity. It was so great to spend time with the Chapmans. I loved seeing Sophie and Elise playing together, their age difference is about 7 months but it seems less and less the older they get. Melody (Elise's new baby sister) and our baby girl will be only 4 months apart! How great is that?!?! So I look forward to them being friends as well.


Still 4 and a half days of vacation left to post! But I'll get there... give me a few more days. As I was working on this post I have been eating the most delicious chocolate covered Hawaiian Host macadamia nuts our friends the Lawrences brought home for us from their Hawaiian vacation. Thanks guys! I am not usually a nut person, I avoid chocolates, ice cream, cookies, etc. with nuts but these are AWESOME!! Now I need to hide them before I eat them all... I think Dan's only had one. :)

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, sounds like an action packed vacation. I'm not sure why you need the maternity clothes yet though, you don't look that pregnant in the pictures. I'm sure you will soon enough though!

Mary-Anne said...

It sounds like you are having SO much fun!! That's so nice you get to be in Utah for awhile...I'm already ready to go back for a bit! :)

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

How fun! But I have to say, where in the heck is your belly??? You don't even look pregnant from those pictures. I look more pregnant than you and you are further along than me!!!

mommaquincy said...

I love the crying in the car picture,too! It was just so hilarious that she was so mad about the decorations1 You're so good at documenting everything!

Cami said...

Man, You guys had a very busy, fun-filled trip. I love that Sophie was sucking the salt off the chex mix and then putting them back. so funny! The pictures of her and Elise playing in the pool are so cute!

Miss J. said...

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but didn't both of your older brothers get married?

Jack Quincy said...

I loved the picture of shopie baaing at the sheep.

I look like I'm really tired in the picture of speed scrablle I need to get some more sleep.

Cieslak Family said...

Way to go Sophie! I love your subtle attack methods. You may be small but you get your daddy back anyway you can!