Guess what???
Yep it's true, I had my first doctor's appointment yesterday and my due date is December 26, 2008! We took this picture tonight at a ward party, it was fun to have Sophie wear this shirt I made her and see people's double takes as they read it. I think it's kind of funny we used her to make our announcement when she doesn't really know what's going on and probably won't get it until December. :) Anyway, we're really excited and glad to finally share our news with you!!
I've included some thoughts I put down last month when we found out for those who want the long story.
ago on a Sunday. By Friday I was feeling really sick, just nauseous all day. I was worried I was pregnant but since I never felt sick with Sophie and I had been wrong about 3 times recently I kept taking the pills until Sunday when I was extremely nauseous!! I took a pregnancy test that morning that was negative. I made it to part of church but was too afraid of hurling my guts on the pew so we left early. I called the nurse Monday morning to ask for a different prescription and at the last second told her of my concern that I could be pregnant. She said that it was more than likely the new birth control that was making me sick (although my pill before I had Sophie never made me sick) but if it would make me feel better she'd check with the doctor. The doctor called and pretty much said the same thing as the nurse. She said that I could come in and do a urine test if I really wanted to be she was comfortable with me just trying another birth control. I talked her ear off with my concerns for another 15 minutes and she ordered me a blood pregnancy test (100% accurate in early pregnancy where the urine is only accurate after you're far enough along and I didn't know how far I was). I went in for the blood test on Tuesday afternoon feeling kind of foolish but convinced I should make sure before I start taking more drugs that could hurt a fetus. They told me to call after 4:00 for the results. Sophie and I headed to the grocery store and in the parking lot I discovered that I didn't have our food stamp card. So we drove over to pick it up from Dan at school (I'm not going to pay for my groceries if I don't have to!). Dan surprised us by decided to skip his last class and join us to the grocery store. Anyway, when we got home I looked my result up online which said "POSITIVE" I was shocked... was I understanding this incorrectly? Did that mean that the result was positive as in good and clear and the doctor would call me with what this satisfactory result that was? Or was this in fact telling me that I was pregnant? Dan and I concluded we should wait to hear from the doctor to read the results. A short time later, a very embarrassed and surprised doctor called to tell me I was pregnant and she was wrong. She assured me it was very unlikely that the birth control I was taking did any damage and apologized profusely for her mistake. She said she hardly ever orders blood pregnancy tests because the urine ones are usually very accurate (I must have taken that one Sunday morning too early in the pregnancy). I was so glad that Dan was there when I found out so we could be together. We went out to dinner to celebrate at Applebee's, which was fabulous!
We are so excited to welcome another baby into our family, and know that great blessings will accompany the stress and hard work of another child. I was reading the The Family: A Proclamation to the World with my young women last night and it brought tears to my eyes as the spirit testified to me that I was doing the right thing. It is very clear about how the first commandment God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to parenthood and that the charge for us to "multiply and replenish the earth" remains in force. It made me feel better to have that reassurance since I was caught off guard by this pregnancy. I sort of felt irresponsible for not planning and praying about this pregnancy like I did the first. I really have a strong testimony of obedience and how it is the only way to find happiness (refer to the quote by Sheri Dew on my side bar) it is so true that nothing brings joy as obedience and faith do. I hope this isn't coming off as me tooting my own horn, rather, I thank my Father in heaven for this awesome SURPRISE, blessing and opportunity! He made it pretty easy for me to be obedient by sneaking this one in!! :)
I'm feeling fine, truth be told I've felt more sick this time than last time but nothing serious. My only qualm with this pregnancy is that I am feeling so HUGE already. I've been told that's common since your abs and uterus have already been stretched out before... but I thought I was back in shape! I don't think I showed with Sophie until at least 3 or 4 months and didn't wear maternity clothes until I was 6 months along. I think I'll be getting more use out of my maternity wardrobe this time around! Dan takes these changes to mean that I must be having a boy... there's no question in my mind what sex he's hoping for. :) But we will be happy with either, having another girl would be great because she could be Sophie's BFF and we would have all the clothes we need. A boy would be neat too, for obvious reasons, a fun new experience and to even the odds for Dan being the only male in our family right now. Either way, we are thrilled and I'm glad to be on this adventure again, call me crazy but I kind of enjoy being pregnant!!









34 comments:
Congratulations! Seems there's a lot of that going around lately! Sophie's so adorable--I'm excited to see how cute her little sibling is! Have you ever heard the song, "My Birthday Comes on Christmas?" I love it!
Jess, that was even sweeter than the cute Mother's Day picture you sent! Its going to be so fun to have a playmate for Sophie! Especially when the baby is a couple of months old. I can't think of a better home to be born into! Congratulations Jess, Dan and Sophie!
Congratulations! That couldn't be closer to our story. It goes by sooo fast, so get ready! But having 2 is the greatest thing ever. And I think it just doubles the love you have for your first child by having number two! I am so excited for you and can't wait to find out what you are having!
P.S. I have a December baby and there is nothing better than having a new born at Christmas time!
YEAH!! We are so excited for you guys. That is such a cute way of letting everyone know. Did you have the shirt made? The Chapman family is going to be so different when we're finally all together again. I love it!
PS; How did you make the shirt?
Oh my gosh!! Congrats!!! I'm so happy for all of you. Good luck!
Congratulations Jess!! I'm so excited for you guys and I love how you recorded your feelings at the very beginning, it was so fun to read! Two kids will be a lot of fun, I'm sure a lot of work too, but more fun!
Congrats! What is it with these #2 suprises? lol. I am excited for you! Its funny as I read your blog I TOTALLY understand what you were thinking. So fun!!
When do you find out the sex?
Congratulations! How close in age will that put your two little ones? Having a second child is an amazing experience as unique, but different, as having your first!
Congratulations!! That is so exciting & I love the little shirt you made for sophie, what a cute idea! Good luck with the sickness part!
Congratulations! We're so excited for you guys! I love that you let Sophie tell the news! I have a friend that just did it the same way. That's a pretty awesome Christmas present you'll be getting this year!
Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!!! It's so funny that you guys did the t-shirt thing too. That is how we told our family that we were pregnant with Dallin. Deklan wore a shirt that we made that said he was going to be a big brother. Dallin was a December baby too and it's not my favorite thing to have his birthday so close to Christmas, but it's a blessing to have a baby any time of year I think!
How exciting!!!! Cute cartoon by the way!
Congratulations girl! I am so happy for you. I cannot wait to find out what you will have. Get ready for a Christmas baby! It will be all kinds of fun!
Are you nervous to have two?
Congrats! That is so exciting. Sophie's shirt is adorable...you are so crafty! You will have to post pictures of your growing belly!
Yay so now I guess it's ok to pass your good news along? If it makes you feel better the first pregnancy test I took with this pregnancy was negative too. It was kind of funny I was teaching the first gospel doctrine lesson that day and just felt sick (Like I was prego) so I took the test before church and it was negative so I just assumed it was because I was really nervous about teaching my first lesson. Good thing I kept feeling sick after I taught! Congrats, we love you guys and I'm happy to add another neice or nephew into the world.
Congratulations to you! That's great news. Good luck with everything.
That is fantastic news....Congratulations! I love the first photo with Sophie grinning from ear to ear! She will be a great big sister. Keep us posted on the pregnancy updates!
It was great seeing you at the park and I loved Sophie's shirt, such a creative idea! Congrats again!!!
Congrats again....I LOVE the cartoon you put at the bottom...that is totally me when I'm pregnant.
hi jess! i am so excited!!! its pretty awesome that i am posting this comment from a ds at a swim meet! luv u!
YEAH! Multiplication and replenishment in effect! It's even more fun the second time around--from pregnancy to breastfeeding--because you have something to compare it too AND it refreshes all the fond and not-so-fond memories. I consulted my intuition and it's a boy...or maybe I'm just assuming that you and I live nearly identical lives...Either way, if he/she's half as adorable as Sophie you can't go wrong! Oh, one other perk I noticed during my second pregnancy which I hope you'll experience as well: chasing a toddler keeps you active which I believe to explain a more moderate weight gain and easier weight loss. Go ahead and eat your cake and ice cream! Lots of love!
Congrats
That's exciting. Crazy story I liked reading it. I felt the spirit reading what you wrote. It's the hardest thing having children but I know that's what we are supposed to do. You have such a cute family.
Congratulations!
Congratulations, I kept looking at your daughter's shirt that day and thought, that shirt has a lot of letters. I didn't even read it. Now I saw it again and feel like why didn't I read it and say some hing. Wow that is so excited to have another one. Thanks again for comment on my blog.
I'm calling you crazy right now! I hated being pregnant. That is why we are done with two! Congrats again!
Congrats again! We're thrilled for you all :) Christmas baby is lucky to have the opportunity to grow up in such a stellar family!
Congrats! I love good news like that. How far apart will the new babe be in age from Sophie?
Congratulations. So glad you went with your instincts and got the blood test! Crazy stuff. You guys are so great with Sophie. Your new addition will be blessed to have such great parents, and such a cool big sister. No doubt!
I can't believe your pregnant! How exciting! I loves Sophie's shirt. I am going to have to do that with Brinklee when we have another one. Good idea. I was due with Brinklee on Dec 27th and came early on the 23rd (Jospeh Smith's b-day). We came home Christmas day. It was the best present ever! The hospital gave us a big christmas sock that they took her pictures in. So fun. Though I do have to say the birthday thing that time of year isn't the best. We are actually going to start doing a half birthday June 23rd. We figure if we start to celebrate her birthday in June rather than Christmas now, she'll always know that growing up. Long story sorry. It is just things you have to think about when you have a Christmas baby! Good luck. I hope all goes well, and hopefully I won't be far behind you!
congratulations! That is so exciting. Well, it will happen when the Lord wants it too. I am so happy for you. It is good to listen to those little spiritual promptings, or sometimes I call them motherly instincts. Brinklee was due Dec. 27th but came early on the 23rd (joseph smith's b-day). It was fun to come home on Christmas day. It was the perfect christmas present, not to mention the hospital really did put her in a big christmas sock! However, with the busy holiday, Brady and I are moving her birthday to June 23rd (half birthday) so she can have a proper birthday party with family and friends present. We are starting this june so that she will grow up not knowing any different. Of course, we'll still sing happy birthday to her in dec and give her a special present, but the celebrations won't be until June. Sorry for that long story. I guess it is something you just have to think about having a baby so close to Christmas. Good luck! Hopefully I won't be too far behind you. I will have to do that shirt idea with Brinklee. That was brilliant!
Ok! I thought my last comment didn't go through so I re-wrote it. So now, you'll have two (with this one 3) really long comments that are similar. Sorry!
Yeah! I am so excited for you. I hope the sickness is short lived. It is no fun. I love that you recorded your thoughts so early; that will be priceless years down the road. We'll be pregnant together!
That is so exciting! Funny..and don't take this the wrong way...but I have been out of town a lot the past couple of weeks and haven't kept up with my blogging, so when I saw your blog today with the picture of you and sophie with the flour pot..I double taked and thought "she looks pregnant" but then said "well, maybe it's the picture" then I saw the countdown for your new little one and said "aw! I was right!! wehew! That was a close one!" You're just super skinny, I think you tend to show sooner, because girls like me that already have junk in the trunk can hide it for a little bit ;) But you still look absolutely Fabulous! What a radical story!! So glad you went with your instincts, hopefully that will teach me to listen to mine more often!!
Post a Comment