Friday, May 9, 2008

poor Dan

Last night was the men's church ball tournament. I wasn't sure if Dan would even play because his studying has taken top priority late into the night this week. Plus Dan's first final is today, but he wanted to play. Their first game was a 7:30 against a really physical team, and they had no referee... bad combo. One guy went down from the other team, but was able to walk it off and seemed to be okay. Since our team won they were to play in the championship game at 9:30. Too late for little Sophie so Dan took us home, got Sophie ready for bed (he usually does, what a good Dad) and went back to play. My last words to him were "Be careful, DON'T GET HURT!" Well, at about 10:45 I heard Dan coming in with our friends, the Lawrences. I thought that was strange that they would come over so late on a week night, but I just figured they wanted to hang out a bit and debrief me on the game. Actually, they were escorting Dan home... he couldn't drive because he sprang his ankle so bad. My first reaction is the whole, "I told you so," line but I could tell he was in real pain. His ankle looked terrible, it appeared that there was a large golf ball lodged in the side of it trying to get out. Kim used to do some sports medicine so she wrapped it up nice for him. (Sorry I didn't get a picture of it before it was wrapped up.) We got so much good advice from everyone! There were 2 dentists and 2 doctors on the team that all looked at his ankle and told him how to take care of it. Then our home teacher offered his crutches and air cast so Dan could get around tomorrow at school. When I was over picking those up, he also told me that Dan can take ibuprofen with Tylenol if it hurts too bad (he's in pharmacy school). I am really grateful we have so many helpful professionals in our ward, Dan was well taken care of! The good news is that this morning his ankle looks worse (much more colorful today) but feels better, he didn't even use the crutches. With the air cast on I just watched him hobble into the law school. He's still in pain but hopefully will be able to concentrate for his exam. Poor Dan.

Flash forward 1 day... this is what his ankle looks like today (Saturday). GROSS!! I guess he didn't wrap it at school yesterday and with just the air cast it bled a lot, so gross. I made the picture small so hopefully those who would rather not see don't have to. :) What do I have to do to get him to take care of himself? He was at school until 11pm last night.


On different note, Dan was called as the 2nd counselor in the Elder's Quorum on Sunday. Here's a picture I took after they were set apart (Dan, Jake Lawrence, and Aaron Guercio) on Wednesday. That was an interesting experience. Sophie was out of control!! I know it's my fault, I should have been better prepared with a new toy or something, or better yet, NOT BRING HER AT ALL. I was so embarrassed because while the Guercio children were quietly sitting on their parents' laps in the high council room, Sophie was dancing on the air vent like it was a stage singing and running around the room. The stake president was trying to talk to us before he set them apart and I was chasing Sophie, if I held her it was blood curling screams so I opted for the running around, dancing and singing... mortifying. During the first two blessings Sophie made moderate amounts noise although she was FAR from reverent as she talked walking around the room. Dan was last and Sophie was saving it up because during his blessing she emptied all the contents of Kim's purse saying "HI!" repeatedly, pretending to talk on her phone, shaking her keys and banging the loudest things together she could find. For a grand finale shortly before the blessing was over Sophie let out a fart that sounded as if it originated from an elephant!! It took all my strength to maintain my composure and not burst out laughing that such a sound came from my sweet little girl. YIKES! I apologized to the Stake President who just smiled and said something about his kids being the same way. I'm sure he wanted to say ALL kids are like that but he couldn't because there were two very still and very quiet children in the room as well. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have advice for getting your kids to sit still during church? I guess I feel like it's too much to ask of her at this age because she doesn't know what's going on. I just allow her to play on our bench during sacrament meeting, but there is no way I could get her to sit quietly on my lap for more than 10 minutes. What's your secret?

One last thing, I wanted to thank my mom for sending Sophie a surprise package, she really likes her new camera! She always wants to hold mine (because I have it in her face all the time) so it's great she has her own now. It's really cool, and makes a bunch of noises and everything. Sophie still fails to appreciate clothes a whole lot, but I liked the clothes! :) Thanks!!

17 comments:

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Porter is an angel at church, so I don't know what to tell you, NOT! I do have to say the last month he has done at leat 85% better. We just decited to not give in one Sunday and refused to go out into the hall. It was an ugly day but it seemed to work. As long as we get in a bench and not back in the chairs, he does just great. And he usually does better sitting all by himself next to us than on a lap! Hope that helps!!

Anonymous said...

I used to bring lots of reverent pictures to look at and things to draw with. We had bags just for Sundays, but I really don't think it helped much. I think that one thing that helps is to get there early so you can be calm. I really don't Sophie's old enough to sit still for the right reasons. I guess you can confine her, but she won't understand why yet. It seems to me that some kids were just born able to sit quietly and some weren't. Also, remember that your own kid always sounds the loudest to you. Every mom thinks their kid is making the most noise.

Ruthanne said...

Well I don't have experience with a toddler, but my sister used to bring several toys to church for her little boy that he only saw at church so they were more interesting for him. I'm sure everyone understands though, she's at THAT age!

Chris said...

You know, Anna will be the same way, Jessica, but you moms are too quick to feel bad about children being children. I mean, honestly, shame on you for having a toddler and for that toddler being a toddler. How dare you!? :)
I had a religion teacher once who pointed out that those little bodies are hard-pressed to hold great spirits sometimes, so if they make a little noise or ruckus it's probably just that conflict expressing itself. Thought that was cute.

Howard and Melissa said...

I LOVE that camera your mom sent! It is so cute, and my kids would have loved something like that, many moons ago...Now they're too busy being grown up and going on missions. Dan's ankle looks terrible...Howard has had too many of those, but I can't get him to stop playing ball!

Ann said...

Heres some advice for Church, NURSERY! But until then try and find a "quiet book" those fabric books that has a bunch of differn't activites. That has really helped for us. I've seen some at the Quilted Bear if you want me to get you one. Just keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Nice ankle. I've been there. Mine of course don't get that ugly. Such a one upper. And Jessica I don't think you can sprang or sprung an ankle. Only traps or springs. An ankle is sprained. I'm sure that's exactly what you want people commenting on.
Sophie looks like a big kid now. Ridiculous. How's she supposed to remember me if she grows up without hardly ever seeing me?

Nicole said...

Seriously, poor Dan! Although in my own twisted little way I think it looks kind of awesome. But I'm weird when it comes to the human body. Hope he's healing up nicely!

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

Gross! That looks horribly painful. Wow! I hope he's alright. Happy Mother's Day.

The Wanbergs said...

Ouch! Dan's ankle looks really bad! Hope its healing quickly. Sophie is not noisy: she's spunky! Don't worry in a few more months she will understand more about sitting still. Even then she will need to get her wiggles out more than she will sit still. That's what toddlers are supposed to do. I definitely think she is too young to constrain at this point. Now that Eden is getting a little older, we get baby books from the library (new ones each week). That way the books are always fresh, and she doesn't lose interest as fast.

The Staples Fam said...

Jessica-
This is the first time I've seen your blog.. you've got a darling family!
Congrats! And your husband's foot looks incredibly painful! Hope it gets better soon. Your blog page is so cute, did you design it yourself?

Kolbi Young said...

I hope Dan is recovering well! I can totally empathize....Tyler sprained his ankle last summer while we were rock climbing. It was sprained so badly, that we thought it was broken and took him to Urgent Care. The unfortunate part is everyone told us that sometimes sprains are worse than breaks....which we found to be true. He still has to ice and elevate his ankle after running or playing basketball! I hope Dan's heals quickly (for all of you)!!

Dannenbergs said...

That is one colorful ankle. It looks painful! I don't know Dan, none of my ankle injuries ever looked that bad. I'd be carful with it. Good Luck with finals.

Min and Mary said...

Jess, you are quite a story-teller. I especially love to read about Sophie because it seems like she goes through all the same stages we just outgrew with Charlotte. Someday we will have to get these girls together--they seem to have a lot in common. Tweedle dee and tweedle dum? Luv, Mary

jaredelizabeth said...

EWWWWW!!! It's like a car crash....I WANT to look away but I CANT!!! So gross!!!! Did I use enough exclamation points in this post.

Tracy Giles said...

WOW! That looks really bad! Hope he feels better soon. YIKES!!!!!!

Kimbee and Jakester said...

You forgot to mention that everyone thought that that lovely sound came from me!! haha, its ok, ill take the blame for her. :)