Monday, April 7, 2008

going to Chicago!?!?

Well, at Sophie's 1 year check-up I got up on my soap box and was talking to her pediatrician about her mole. I explained everything we've been through up to this point with all the doctors and differing opinions. Scheduling surgeries then cancelling them, and just not being sure what would be best for Sophie. I told her that I think we would have already got it removed if I had felt like I was given a good option for removal that would look good in the end. (Why remove it if it will end up looking as bad or worse than it did before?) I told her that we received a referral for a doctor in Chicago that specializes in pediatric tissue expansion and that is the only surgery that I've learned about that I think would end up looking good. But no one in state can/will do that surgery. Sophie's pediatrician told me something that I didn't know. She said that she's heard of Medicaid (Sophie's insurance) paying for an out of state doctor if the patient needs a procedure that is not offered in state!!! (WHAAAAT? Why didn't someone tell me that before???) She didn't know much about it but thought it might be a resolution for us.

Over the last week I have exchanged several emails and one phone call with the doctor in Chicago, Dr. Bruce Bauer. Honestly, I have felt like this was meant to be. I have shed so many tears and had so many sleepless nights worrying about Sophie's mole and what I should do. We have scheduled her surgery and canceled it 3 times before with other doctors just because it didn't feel right. Those of you have been reading my blog for awhile, know how indecisive I've been about this. As I said before I think that we would have already had it removed had I felt like we'd been given a a good option for removal. Dr. Bauer is WONDERFUL!! He's the best in the country at what he does (people come to him from all over the world) yet he is the 1st doctor that has paid me the courtesy of explaining the procedures, their pros and cons, and what exactly it entails. I was so surprised that he replied to my emails the same day, empathized with my concerns and explained things in such a way that they made sense! I know that seems like it should be a given, but my experience with surgeons has been dismal. In the past I have felt like they either didn't care or didn't know the answers to my questions. I was so pleasantly surprised that Dr. Bauer would be the one who spent all that time answering my questions, seeing as he's the one in the highest demand! The poor guy answers my emails and calls me late at night when he's home from work, something that he doesn't need to do. The truth is that while Sophie's surgery may seem trivial to these surgeons that perform much more complicated surgeries on a daily basis, it is a BIG DEAL to me!! Dr. Bauer seems to get that. We don't have a surgery date yet but Dr. Bauer told me last night that August would probably be the earliest we can get on the schedule.

The other great news is that it looks like Medicaid will pay for it!! We will have to pay for the travel but they will pay the medical costs. Also, my cousin lives in the Chicago area and said we can stay there this summer. It will be nice to have a free place to stay but it will also be nice to have the moral support since Sophie and I will probably be going alone.

The bad news is that we actually are going to do it! Let me explain. Looking at everything logically, I would want my mole removed if I were Sophie and now is the best time physically and psychologically to do it. We are getting the best doctor in the country to do it, and we're getting the best possible procedure to give us the best end result, plus we don't have to pay for it! Seems like a no brainer right? WRONG! Like I was saying, when I think about it logically it makes sense to go for it but when I actually think about how hard it will be for me to see my baby to go into surgery (especially when she doesn't HAVE to, this is totally elective surgery) and having her be in pain as she recovers. I think about having to do her injections to fill the tissue expander myself, her being uncomfortable for 8 weeks as we "grow" more skin on her hand. Then having her go back into surgery again to remove the expander and the mole, and the recovery following. All this thinking makes me want to do anything to get out of it!! But then I go back to what a great opportunity this is and how it's for the best... do you see how crazy this makes me?? The truth is that as a parent I would do anything for my daughter and would never want to cause her pain, the question is whether this pain I will cause her now will prevent equal or greater amounts of pain the future. Would she have developed melanoma if we just left it alone? All of these "what if"'s make me more crazy that anything else.

In conclusion, Dan and I have some more fasting and praying to do but logically (NOT emotionally) it feels like the right thing to do and I think we will end up doing it. How on earth will I survive the drama of it? I have NO CLUE!!!! But we have really felt very good about this doctor and Dan and I have said many times how it seems like this is what we (didn't know) we were waiting for. It just seems like it is all coming together so beautifully that this is meant to be. I'll be happy when it's over.

12 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Good luck! I'm sure you guys will make the right choice. Let me know if I can help with anything!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Such a huge decision! But hey CHICAGO! That's were I live!! If you do end up coming out this way, we should get together. I am happy to help out in any way (place to stay, dinner, friend etc.)

Nichole said...

Oh I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I really don't know how I would deal with something like this. My neice had a mole similar to Sophie's only it was only the size of a small paper clip. The only problem is it was at the corner of her mouth. My sister finally had it removed because my neice was so self conscious of it. Kids in school would ask her about it and she would come home depressed.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do...

The Allens said...

What a tough decision...but I know you guys will make the best decision for Sophie and that it will all turn out well no matter what you do.

Tracy Giles said...

I just want to say that I understand how stressful it can be to find the right surgeon. You spend so many nights crying and praying that you will make the right decision for your child. When it comes down to it and you see them wheel your baby in to the operating room you might break down and cry like me, but then find the most powerful sense of strength that you have never in your life known. It's amazing what you can get through when you have to. You will do great and you will make the right decision. It's so hard to go through though and I'm sorry that this has been a strain on you. Sophie will do great and she won't remember the pain. That's one thing that kept me going was knowing that Lily won't remember any of it. It says a lot that you found a Doctor you love. I just got an email from Lily's heart surgeon a couple of days ago and her surgery was over 2 1/2 years ago! It's sad to say but there are a lot of bad doctors out there. I think it's a huge blessing when you find one that feels right. Good luck with your decision, you guys will be in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jessica.
I know you guys will make the best decision for Sophie. You are great parents and so careful to make the right choice. It's great that you are going about it by praying and fasting. I hope all goes well.

Tifani said...

That is really scary. From what you have said it really does sound like divine intervention. A doctor that listens and is attentive....wow! Years down the road Sophie will be grateful for you insight and concern. What a good mom you are!

Ann said...

Dang you think a lot! But we support you in whatever you feel is best.

cami said...

That's so great that you have found a doctor that you like and sounds like he is genuinely concerned about your situation. That is hard to come by. And it looks like you won't be totally alone in Chicago. Maybe it really was meant to be.

Kolbi Young said...

I'm sorry about all of this stress! I can only imagine all of the thoughts and worries this has caused you and Dan. Speaking from a purely logical standpoint, I do the PR for Utah's Medicaid program....and this is probably some of the best health coverage you will ever have (especially compared to commercial health insurance). If you feel like this is the right time and doctor, now would be the time to take advantage of the resources available to you. I know there are many more factors that have and will influence your decision...but I just thought I would share my two cents! Good luck!

Ruthanne said...

Hi Jessica, i just saw on facebook that you have a blog, your daughter is so cute! I just had a baby girl in Dec so she is four months now. I hope everything goes well with that surgery, good luck!
Ruthanne

Crafty Momma said...

I am so glad you have made this decision and everything is falling into place. I totally understand how you feel as a mother putting your child through something like that. I think this is the best time for her to have the surgery and then she won't run the risk of developing melanoma. I would be feeling awful about all the pain and recovering she will be doing, but just keep thinking that this will be good for sophie and I know she will love you for it as a mother! Sophie being as young as she is, really won't know any different as she grows up she will learn accept whatever is on her hand! ;) Good Luck jess, you're such a good mom!