I've had a bad taste in my mouth since my last post because I hate being negative... in my defense, that story needed to be documented! Anyway, over the last couple of days I put this video together of Sophie demonstrating her ability to use baby sign (ASL made easier so babies can do it). We've taught it to Sophie in hopes that it will cut down on the frustration of not being able to talk yet when she can already understand (aka- the terrible two's). She's picked up on every sign I've shown her so far (except for cat... maybe she shares my distaste for the creatures) and I think she's doing really well!! It's so fun to see her face light up when I understand what she's trying to tell me, I know she gets so much satisfaction from figuring it out. I can't take all the credit though (as much as I'd like to!) she's learned a lot of it from watching her Baby Signing Time videos.
Back to the video I made... it may be kind of annoying to watch because there are so many snippets hodge-podged together but I can't get her to do them on demand she has to have a reason to do it. So I showed her pictures in books hoping she'd perform and it didn't work all the time... hence all the different clips. I know she knows all of them but I guess she doesn't see the point in repeating everything I say. Oh, and one more disclaimer: There is one part were she is looking inside a book with shapes; the first page has circles and the 2nd has squares. Well, they both have clocks on them and I didn't realize it while I was filming but the reason she kept pointing up when she saw them is because I was trying to show her one day (several weeks ago) that the clocks in her book are the same thing as the clock on our wall, by pointing up! Frankly, I am surprised she remembered that. **NOTE: You may want to pause the music on the bottom of the page so you can hear the video.**
I love you baby, good work!!!
You know it really does amaze me how much she remembers, children really are little sponges!! When I stop and think about that it makes me want to be a better example for her in so many ways. I want to start doing family prayers and scriptures with Sophie, not because she'll understand what we are saying but because she will understand that it is important and we need to do it everyday! There are a million little things I can teach her by my actions, I guess I need to start paying more attention to what I am (inadvertently) teaching her. I am humbled that my father in heaven has entrusted me with this great power and influence, it just makes me smile inside, I hope I won't let Him down.









13 comments:
So, So, So Cute!!! I love it when babies sign. And I'm so glad she is enjoying that hammer we gave her :) Thanks for sharing such cute videos with us!
That is SO CUTE!!! I think it is the cutest thing when babies sign...I definitely want to teach my babies some signs. :) I taught some signs to a little boy I used to nanny and it is so fun when they get it! How fun. Good job.
When Charlotte turned one she started going to a new babysitter who taught her signs--it was awesome when she started communicating by sign with us. I realized she understood so much more of what was going on. Now, all she does is sign and grunt. Hopefully the words will come soon. Glad you're enjoying this with Sophie!
Way to go Sophie! You are getting so much smarter every day! It's so hard to wait clear until June to see you again! Take care of your Mom and Dad!
That is so awesome! What a big girl! She is so smart. Good Job Jess. You are a great mom!
How cute! My niece does that too. It's awesome. She knows more and please very well. It's cool that they can "talk" without talking.
Yay Sophers! They really are smarter than we give them credit. She is getting so big growing in so many ways! Also when Sophie's hair is in pigtails she kind of looks like a character from fragel rock. In case you were wondering. :)
I loved this video! I don't know much about baby signing, but it was amazing to see her communicate with you. It shows what a smart girl she is!!! Nice work!
She is so stinking cute! I am an ASL interpreter and so I am really trying to teach Ava sign and it is amazing how much she remembers. Sophie is so cute when she signs car and baby! You've done really good at teaching her signs...Signing Time is great but you are the one reinforcing it!
FYI- we have started using the Gospel Art Kit for our scripture study because it has pictures for Ava to look at. We always have our scriptures with us but we like to read the back of the pictures. Ava seems to like it...you sould give it a try!
Well Porter has a new friend! He could not keep his eyes off the video and he kept pointing to Sophie. And waved "bye-bye" when it was over! Way to go Sophie and props to you Jessica!
I had no idea she could do all that!! WOW. You aren't even going to know what terrible two's are! I hope you are feeling better and can walk with us next week. laters.
Jessica, that's really amazing. I tried to teach Sophi a little bit when she was younger, but I didn't really keep up with it. It's so awesome that you are though, because she can communicate with you, even though she can't speak. Donny and I just sat here and watched the whole video, were convinced at how great it would be. Next baby, i'll have to get some tips from ya.
I am amazed how much sign language she knows. It was really fun to watch her, and it made me wish I had worked a little harder with Paul on it. It is so nice when they start to communicate by other means than crying.
Post a Comment