Thursday, February 2, 2012

how I know

jacob sleeping

I was just rocking my sick baby to sleep and singing him the following song I learned in Primary as a child, the words never really hit me so hard until now.  The song goes like this:

He Sent His Son

words by Mable Jones Gabbott

How could the Father tell the world

of love and tenderness?

He sent his Son a newborn babe,

with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world,

The pathway they should go?

He sent His Son to walk with men

on Earth,

That we may know.

How could the Father tell the world

of sacrifice, of death?

He sent His Son to die for us,

and rise with living breath!

What does the Father ask of us?

What do the scriptures say?

Have faith, have hope.

Live like His Son.

Help others on their way.

What does He ask?

Live like His Son.

Lately, I’ve been really worried about my kids growing up.  Yes, I want them to grow up, but it’s scary the thought of letting them go out into the world that is full of so many bad influences, so many bad people who may try to prey on them, friends and teachers that may teach them things they shouldn’t learn.  I am offended watching just TV commercials and seeing billboards!  (Which is evidence, by the way, that I have SO become my mother.  I used to roll my eyes at her, so so so sorry Mom!)  I think this is spurred by the fact that Sophie will be starting kindergarten this year and the thought of leaving her in someone else’s care for the majority of her day terrifies and saddens me!  I know I can’t shelter them forever and they need to figure things out for themselves, but I don’t feel like they’re ready yet.  But I don’t think I’ll ever feel that they’re ready.  I now understand why people choose to home school their children.

12 16_sophie wrote her name

Ok, let me tie this together.

Singing this song tonight made me think about how our Father in heaven must have been so scared and sad to send us away to Earth so we could grow and to see if we could be good, make good choices (follow the commandments) and then return to Him.  And he doesn’t even get to have us come home at night and on the weekends, we’re gone from home for nearly a century!  The song talks about how He tried to show us that He loves us, how He sent Christ on Earth to show us the way back.  I guess it just struck me how I need to make an impression on them now so they will know that I love them and will hopefully be a good example for them to follow.  Being a parent has taught me so much already, and I think it helps me understand my heavenly parents oh so much more.

“Motherhood is near to divinity.  It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by man.”

– President David O. Mckay

jacob soph tess brown chair

I’m so grateful for my 3 wonderful children and am so grateful for the opportunity I have to raise them and learn from them.  It’s such an AWEsome responsibility, I just hope I don’t mess it up too bad!

Tessa dressed up

Here’s another quote I came across this week and appreciated. Her name is Julie B. Beck, and she’s from the Relief Society General Presidency of the LDS church.

Pinned Image

"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world."

8 comments:

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Thanks so much Jess! It's so nice to be reminded often of why we get the chance to take care of these wonderful children! We truly do love them...no one can deny us that- but it is nice to be reminded that we need to tell THEM that!

Ann said...

Yes they will be around bad influences, but they will also be around many many wonderful and good people too. And you are raising wonderful children that you are teaching what is right. Lets face it, Sophie knows how to stand up for herself! :) Your doing a great job! It is scary, that's why home is such a sacred place, to step away from it all and feel the wonderful spirit we are blessed with. Love you guys, don't let it over whelm you too much. Just focuse on raising great kids that love the Lord.

Mary said...

Jess, my kindred spirit! The prospect of kindergarten IS daunting and spurred many of the same thoughts for me too. I could go on and on about our struggle sending Charlotte to kindergarten, but I won't. I will say that we're constantly asking ourselves, "are we doing what's best for our children?" and trying to remain open to the influence of the Spirit when our own opinions and emotions run high. I found one reassuring bit of advise from my mom: get into the classroom. I trade babysitting with another mom so we can each spend a morning at the school in our girls' classroom. Charlotte looks forward to my visits and I get a better perspective about what's going on. Overall, though, I think kindergarten is still quite innocent and that Charlotte is met with a lot of love from her teacher and peers. The worst is yet to come, to be sure:) I'm anxious to see what you and Dan do for your kids education, and I hope you'll blog about the decisions! I need this online comraderie!

mommaquincy said...

I think you mothers today are better mothers than my generation was! I'm sorry Jacob's been sick again! Sophie is probably going to be a missionary and example to lots of people just by singing Primary songs. You are doing a great job with your darling kids!

Ambs said...

That is probably the sweetest photo of Jacob sleeping. I also love love that primary song and find myself thinking about the words of lots of primary songs for the first time as an adult. Funny how much meaning there is in them.
It is amazing how the gospel has an answer for any problem. Parenting and letting your children grow up is apparently one of those problems. Thanks for sharing that!

love ya

Dannenbergs said...

Profound and lovely, thank you.

Jenelle said...

Beautiful insight! I agree, I always worry about sending my children out into the world. You are such a great mom- I have no doubt your children will be well prepared. I just sent an email to your gmail account about printing blog books. Take Care!

Kolbi Young said...

Beautiful post....The moments when I'm rocking my sleeping boy are some of my most profound parenting moments. It is a peaceful time to clear your mind and open your heart for inspiration in how to best love and care for this child that has been entrusted to you to raise and protect. What a daunting task, but also the only experience in which we can relate so closely to what our own Heavenly Father experiences. I'm grateful for the emphasis and importance church leaders and doctrines place on motherhood. It is not only recognized but celebrated. Helps me have more perspective on the importance of doing our best...