Wednesday, July 21, 2010

South Jordan Half Marathon 7/10/10

I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles) the morning after we arrived in Utah for a family reunion.  I had planned to run one here in Denver but couldn’t find one on a Saturday this summer while we are in town.  So I just found one in Utah, conveniently while we were there, on a Saturday AND in my home town!

half marathon - jess cruising

I felt less nervous for this race than others because (1) I had trained well, (2) it’s a longer race so I didn’t feel so much pressure to be so darn fast, and mostly because (3) I had ran the course previous to the race.  I woke up at 4:45 and got to the start line WELL before dawn.  I was the 2nd racer to arrive.  I knew it was a small race (their 1st year) but… c’mon!  More people came but I think there were only 115 runners.

half marathon - jess waving

Dan and the girls woke up and found me around mile 10 to cheer me on.  It meant a lot to me, sort of teared up when I saw them, good thing I was wearing sun glasses so no one could see. :)  Check out their cute bed heads and jammies in the picture below.

I met my primary goal of under 2 hours but not my secondary goal of under 1:50.  That’s okay, I feel really good about my race.  I ran hard and at a pretty even pace the whole time.  I had energy left to sprint the last 100 meters and no injuries!  It’s a really hilly race and I think I will try a flatter course and maybe break 1:50 next time.  My biggest excuse for my time is that they didn’t have mile markers on the course!  I did have my nike+ chip that talks to my ipod and tells me distance, time and pace but I forgot my ipod and used Dan’s and it gave me inaccurate readings so I thought I was going faster than I was.  According to his itouch I finished in under 1:50 (it said I was done like half a mile early) I may have been closer to my goal had I not relied on that bad information.  But no biggie!  Like I said, I am happy with my performance.  The nice thing about the first time you do a race, anything is a PR!

half marathon - jess soph tess half marathon - jess finishing

In a small race like this my places look so much better than the Boulder Bolder!  I got 5th overall and 2nd in my age division, made me feel pretty darn special.  I am tempted to do a full marathon but am scared of injury so I think I’ll stick to half marathons for now.  I’d really like to do another half this summer but I can’t find one!  What is it with Denver and races on Sundays only?  Geez.  Hello Denver?  Sunday CHURCH, you ever heard of it?!?!?

6 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

Congratulations! You are amazing. I don't know how you do it.

The Hulls said...

Great job Jessica!! That's awesome! How great that is was right in South Jordan too!

mommaquincy said...

Nicely done! I'm impressed with the energy you had at mile 10!

Jenelle said...

You are awesome! How fun to do it in South Jordan, too. Your legs are freakin' muscular!!!! :)

Thank you SO much for the link to your friend's blog. I've already checked it out and spent Madi's ENTIRE nap time copying recipes from her blog. She has some great stuff. Thank you!!!

Kristen said...

You are such a better woman than I! You did so freaking awesome! You look fantastic too!

ps, I gave you an award, see it here: http://lovelipstickandpearls.blogspot.com/2010/07/award-time.html

Cami said...

Way to go Jessica! That's an awesome time. Maybe you'll have to start petitioning in Denver for more Saturday races.