Literally, I took my kids to a candy store for a tour! Funny how we’ve lived in Denver for 3 years and Matt and Cami have been here for less than 2 months yet they’re the ones telling us about the free candy factory tours at Hammond’s Candies. They are awesome, we love having them here. Believe it or not Dan WASN’T STUDYING when we went here, he was at work. Sigh… but day 1 of the bar is just a week away!
On our tour we got learn how candy canes are made. They start our in a huge pink block of hot candy (that’s why he’s wearing gloves). Then it’s wrapped in that casing that actually pulls the color on the outside into red and white stripes! Ever notice how the inside of candy canes are pink? I always wondered why. The casing wasn’t on more than 5 min I’d say.
If you look closely in the pic on the left in the mirror on the ceiling you can see how the candy is now stripped. The worker is stretching it into a thin strip and cutting it. The lady next to him weighs and shapes it into a candy cane hook and lets it cool.
Sophie’s favorite part was the BLUE FIRE on the back of the table to keep the candy warm so it doesn’t harden. Sophie paid pretty close attention on the tour, I think she really wanted to learn how to make candy. That way she wouldn’t have to ask mom for some, she could just make her own!
Tessa’s favorite part was just climbing up and down the stool by the window, stairs are her favorite thing now-a-days. After the tour you have to walk through their candy store. This is how they make money on their free tours, that’s for sure! It’s impossible not to buy something on your way out. Go ahead and try, I dare you.
Sophie was quite happy with her selection; a strawberry shortcake lollipop. The sight of her grape lolli was almost as good as eating it for Tessa. She just smiled at it for awhile. Yes, she made a royal mess of her car seat! Tessa hasn’t learned that we don’t touch our suckers with our hands or set them down after they’ve been licked. But hey, she was happy!
I am so lucky to have these cuties in my rear-view where ever I go!
3 comments:
awesome! I'm so jealous, I'll just have to come visit so you can take me :)
They do like candy, don't they?
cute rear view mirror pic! They look so darling with their lollipops :) We'll have to find some more cheap activities to do!
Post a Comment