Thursday, August 28, 2008

Utah Trip part FOUR: Classic water slides, splash pad, more swimming, and boating

Wednesday we went with our friends the Cieslaks to the Classic Fun Center water park. It's a pretty old and kind of ghetto place that my cousins used to work at when I was little. It used to just be a skating rink and 4 water slides, now they have added a skate park and a kiddie play area, along with some improvements to the old water slides. I remember going down one and being shot out onto the grass in the middle once. They even let Dan and Dan take their daughters down the big slides. Sophie thought that was okay but preferred the kid slides. She got a lot of looks and comments from the other parents wondering how she came to be so brave. She would go down the slide w/o any coaxing (whether we were ready or not) into water that was above her head. She'd go under every time and just come up smiling ready for another turn. Danielle wasn't such a fan of the water but liked sitting on the towel where it was warm and eating. They also had a big bouncy slide that the guys hurt themselves on repeatedly. It makes me smile to see them acting like teenagers again at the drop of the hat. Do guys ever grow up?

Thursday morning we went back to the splash pad for round 2. We were glad that Elise and Ann could come too. Ann we scheduled for induction the following morning, but still came and ran around with us! What a tough girl. Elise was apprehensive at first but got braver as Sophie showed her the ropes. They had so much fun! I'm so glad they could spend time together.

Later that afternoon Sophie spent about an hour trying to put on and walk in Dan's HUGE basketball shoes. She was so proud of herself when she finally did it. My dad took her outside to play on the big slide, trampoline, the dog and finally for a ride on the lawn mower. I'm sure she would have been fine if her darn mom hadn't come into view to take a picture (I do my best to hide when she's with Grandpa, otherwise she cries.) Sorry to spoil it dad, I can't help myself!

My brother Josh fixed up this antique (j/k I don't know how old it really is) tandem bicycle and Friday he and Dan took it on a trial run. I thought it was funny how Dan was more scared than Josh and when he was the one in control, plus Josh couldn't even see over Dan. The second picture is of Josh and Meg on the bike the same day. They're all dressed up because they were about to go out on a real ride on their road bikes. I guess it's a pretty shaky ride... I wasn't brave enough to try it out, but Meg was screaming the whole time that was enough for me! :)

Friday afternoon my sister Joni called in sick to work and came up to see us again. :) The guys were at a movie so all the ladies decided to go back to the city pool that Sophie didn't get enough of earlier in the week. We were joined by aunt Candice, grandma Nina, and cousin Elise. You can see in the last picture how it was a race to the top of the slide to get the next turn. Sophie figured out she could swim by herself with her nerd suit on and LOVES that! You can see her swimming on the video.

Early Saturday morning Sophie and I went out for a ride on Josh's ski boat before our flight. Sophie thought the boat was pretty cool, and put up with her life jacket pretty well. Her favorite part was holding up the flag, she wanted to hold it up whether we had someone in the water or not. Thanks uncle Josh!! Next time we'll have to borrow a tube so Sophie can ride behind the boat. Josh is an excellent skier and only has slalom skis on his boat... nothing else. Here's a short video of him skiing I took that morning.

Well, that's it!!! Congrats if you actually read these long Utah posts, but if you just looked at the pictures, I won't blame you one bit! We had such a great time in Utah, it was wonderful to have so much help with Sophie not to mention no cooking or cleaning!! It was a great vacation, spending time with family is always time well spent. I just wish we could have seen more of Jenny (she could only stay for a few days), and some of James, Jason, Nicole, Matt and Cami. We got to see everyone else though and there's nothing like it. I feel like Sophie just grows up too fast and I don't want my family to miss it! We are looking forward to seeing some of the Chapmans out in Denver this October and the rest of you as soon as you come to visit! (hint hint hint)

3 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Great pictures! And I do read all of the words! Looking at all of the trip posts makes it look like Sophie spent a lot of time in her swimming suit. Probably all of her favorite moments were in her suit. We haven't had nearly as much fun since you left!

Cieslak Family said...

We loved all of your pictures too, and we read all the words- Reading your blog always makes Dan and I laugh. We're glad you guys came and that we were able to spend some time with you. We miss having you around. We're glad you have this blog so we can keep tabs on you- you do such a good job.
-Stacie

Kolbi Young said...

I remember going to Classic for your birthday party! Do you remember that? Oh the joys....glad to hear that it is still as fun as I remember!