Over the past 3 days Sophie decided she could walk. I know she's been able to for awhile but she finally got enough confidence to go for it! We're so proud of her. I think the best part of this movie is Dan "gobbling" at Sophie to get her to walk on day 1, he's so cute with her. Ironically, yesterday was the day she started toddling around the house and it was the one day I went into work and Dan stayed with her! Not fair.

All of this gross motor skill development has me worried though. Because our apartment is a little strange in that we have stairs inside, we like it because we have a little sort of mud area right when you walk in with a coat closet where I keep my jogging stroller, then you go up the stairs into the living area. We have a trusty gate at the top of the stairs so that's no issue. The problem is that the wall the stairs share with the living area doesn't go to the ceiling, which we have always liked too because with the vaulted ceilings it gives the apartment a feeling like it's bigger than it is... ANYWAY, since our couch needs to be up against that partial wall (there's no where else to put it) it makes it pretty dangerous for Sophie. I am afraid that before I know it she'll be climbing the couch and going up and over that short wall (from the top of the couch there's less than a foot to the ledge) to fall down the stairs... it's quite a long fall! I'm not a good judge of this sort of thing but I would guess it's about a 20 ft fall from the top of the partial wall to the bottom of the stairs. I don't know why we didn't think of this before we moved in, but we didn't. So I was hoping I could draw on all of your creative minds for a way to make this safe for Sophie! I have been trying to think of a barrier we could put up that would look okay,Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!!
15 comments:
That video of Sophie walking is really cute! Yeah for her!! It's always exciting to see them learn and grow. Even if it does mean that they become a lot harder to contain and keep track of.
Sorry, but I can't think of any good suggestions for the couch problem besides not letting her stand on the couch. Since she is the only child so far it's a lot easier to kind of "train" them on certain things. Maybe if she learns that it's not ok to stand on the couch she wont discover the drop over the other side.
Hey, I was wondering how you have your margins set so wide for your page...Did you write your margins into your html??? and if so, how?
THANKS!
Yay! She's walking! That's so fun...she is such a cutie! Oh...as for my hair...unfortunately it is NOT natural. :( I just curl it with a curling iron...it kind of takes awhile, but I like it! :)
Wow! She is moving around like a pro! The only thing I can think of that would be completely safe is to put netting up from ceiling to the half wall. I imagine it would be hard to fasten it safely anyway. Have you checked out babiesrus? Its seems like someone would have thought up a baby safe solution by now. Should I send Dad for a visit? He's really good at stuff like that. Maybe you should just have Sophie come and stay here for a while. JK
Congratulations to the whole Chapman family!! As it did take the effort and determination of all three of you :P I love the video, it is so neat to see Sophie's quick progress!
I'm sorry, but I don't have any great ideas on the stairwell issue.....have you googled it? I did a quick google and came up with this gate for irregular openings and configurations. Just a thought: http://www.child-safety-gates.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/p-1021119BB.html?E+scstore
Let us know what you come up with! Have a great week!
Isn't it so much fun to watch them learn the basics of life? It gets more fun everyday.
I LOVE Sophie's walking video--you did such a great job editing. What program did you use? I also loved the wedding slideshow you did for Jenny and James...Joni told me you did it, and I was IMPRESSED! You are really talented!
Hurray for Sophie! I don't have any ideas for the stairwell problem, sorry!
Your apartment is exactly like our apartment here in Florida was, all the way from the little mud room and the vaulted ceilings to the couch against the partial wall. We moved there when Aspen was 6 months old and stayed till she was 20 months old. She was a crazy climber during that time, but she never went from the couch to the wall. I think one of the biggest things we did was to NOT put things on the wall. We did once and that is the one and only time she showed any interest in that wall at all. And just remember that if she ever makes a move to reach up and climb to that wall to correct her actions and never let it slide or she'll keep trying! Good luck with that.
Jessica, what digital scrapbooking program do you use? I want to start doing some of my pages digital but I don't have a photo program right now. What do you suggest?
Hi Jessica, LOVE the Easter post. You will have to show me some of your cute blogging tricks, your blog is always SO darling! And Sascha and I would love visitors, give us a call and we'd love to have you over :)
love, Anna
Yeah for walking! Don't know what to tell you about the couch other than lets just hope she's not a dare devil! Good luck!
Oh my goodness she has got to be the cutest thing ever!! She became a pro so fast!! Your blog is darling!
Hi Jessica!
I am so glad you left a comment. Flattery always makes my day :) Ha ha ha...
Well, I love the Flamm family. Michele and I go way back to being locker partners in high school... good times!
I love your blog layout. Your daughter is darling. My sister lives in Denver - Highlands Ranch area! Again, I am glad you said "Hi" - I'm all about be friending new bloggers. Have a good one!
Can you put holes in the top of the partial wall? If you can you could always just extend the wall another foot or more with some rod iron decor...
Now that I think of it there may not be anything out there but it looks really cute in my mind!!
She is so adorable withher pig tails and all! How exciting she is walking! I know how you feel as far as safety goes, it is a pretty nasty fall. Now that Delia is crawling, she knows how to climb up on things including her crib. I remember seeing her on her knees with her hads holding the edge and I thought, oh no, we are going to have to start pulling the side up when she is in there, but she never got to the point where it lloked as if she were going to fall out. I wan't use to pulling it up so sometimes I would and other times I would forget, well...yesterday she did it!! I put her down for a nap and she wasn't going to sleep, so I went in to tuck her back in and forgot to put up the side. She creid for another 20 minutes until I heard the most horrible thing in the world..Delia falling out of her crib! Luckily she is okay, but it scared her pretty bad, so I know your feeling! Good Luck, I hope you find somthing.
Post a Comment