Monday, September 26, 2011

San Antonio – day 1 – The airport, Alamo, Riverwalk, & swimming in the dark

A few weeks ago we went to San Antonio for a family reunion of parents, and all their kids.  We do it once a year, the location rotates from the states where we all live.  I really look forward to it each year.  And this was our 4th year! (right Mom?)  All of my siblings and their families made it, except for my youngest sister Joni, we sure missed her!!  Love you Joni.

The Airport

My girls were very excited to ride on an airplane, they’ve both done it before, but it’s been a long time and they couldn’t remember.  Tessa’s got a MEAN smile for the camera these days…

09 08_airport tess big smile 

We decided to bring their carseats on the flight so we could strap them down and keep them in their seats, you know get the most for our money now that we have to buy them both seats. :)  It was worth it… easy for me to say right?  Dan had to transport their carseats to the gate, we were a sight to behold.  Check out the carseat “tower of terror,” that’s what I called it.  Keep in mind that Dan’s 6 foot 5!  that’s a tall tower.  But the girls really were great on the plane, never even asked to get out of their seats.

09 08_airport dan pushing carseats  09 08_airport dan pushing carseats 2

We met my parents, my grandma, Jonathan, Jack and Steph at the airport, where they were connecting flights in Denver, we were all together on our flight to San Antonio!  It was a little mini reunion in the airport.  My Grandma hadn’t ever met Tessa, it had been  way too long!  And no one but my mom had met Jacob before.

09 08_airport reunion 2

Dan and Jonathan re-charging electronics. (and a random man in a hat passing by)

09 08_airport dan jonathan

We were so happy to be together, smiles all around!! The kids loved riding on great grandma’s lap.  (My Grandma recently had surgery on her foot, so we tried to keep in off her feet as much as possible.) 

09 08_airport gma q jake 09 08_airport tess gma jones

Look mom, no hands!  Sorry, there is a lot of waiting in the airport, and therefore a lot of opportunities to take silly pictures.

 09 08_airport tess trick 2

Here’s Jacob with his first flight certificate they made for him.  Neither Jake or Dan seem too impressed. ;)

 09 08_airport dan jacob flight cert

I had a bit of a scare when we deplaned.  Somehow between getting all 3 kids and their carseats, a stroller, and carry-on’s off the plane I misplaced my CAMERA!  I noticed it’s absence when  we were walking towards the baggage claim (all 11 of us), I was really worried, but it was waiting for my by the plane when I ran back there, phew!  That would have been torture to be with all that family without my camera.

The Alamo 

09 08_alamo

We went straight (unlike this crooked picture, sorry) from the car rental in our mini van convoy,  to the Alamo.  Such a recognizable building, even when I knew nothing about it’s history, to tell the truth I still don’t know much about it… I was more interested in talking with family and playing with the kids than to read the plaques.  But I can say that it was a really pretty place, especially for a fortress, I think it was built for something else but was used as a fortress when they needed it.  Look at the intricate stone carvings!

09 08_alamo close up 2

When you have a group of 21 people, there is a lot of waiting around.  Good thing we all like each other!  Seriously I think it’s pretty cool that I have 7 siblings and 4 sis/bro-in laws but everyone gets along.  We don’t have any drama, no fights or talking behind anyone’s back.  Just one big happy family! :)

09 08_alamo fam hanging out

Jenny’s stroller was very popular, all of the kids were taking turns in it wherever we went.

09 08_alamo syd dean soph stroller  09 08_alamo foutain

As beautiful as the building was the grounds were even better.  These huge trees were amazing!  I can’t even imagine how many years it takes to grow a tree this size.  Wish I had a wide angle lens with me to capture all of these awesome branches, I love how horizontal they go, I think it was wider that it was tall.

09 08_alamo tree

Here’s a {most} of the group shot. One with my mom and then she took one with me in it. :) (You can click on it to make it bigger)

09 08_alamo group w mom 09 08_alamo group w jess

Here are the rebels, Grandma and Jenny, that were missing from the group shot, I took this picture as a security officer was yelling at me that they were closed. Guess I’m a rebel too. :)

09 08_alamo dad gma jones jen

The Riverwalk

Across the street from the Alamo is the Riverwalk.  It’s a pretty outdoor mall with a river down the middle.  We didn’t have much time to look around, but we got a quick glimpse.  It was gorgeous! 

Sophie took Rex with her everywhere that first day.  She has a tendency to be obsessive over a toy for short periods of time.  I guess that way they each get a turn, but you’d think by the way she gets so attached that it’s been a long time love, but it’s usually just for a day or 2.

09 08_riverwalk river  09 08_riverwalk sophie

This boat was going surprisingly fast through the winding river.

 09 08_riverwalk boat

Here’s the inherent problem with a riverwalk mall… little girls who aren’t afraid of falling in the water.  She kept getting dangerously close doing precarious things like jumping or balancing on the curb.  Making me, my family, and many passersby very nervous.  Her poor hair, Tessa WILL NOT leave a hair do in.  She gets so excited about me doing her hair in the morning, but it never lasts.  She looks rag-a-muffin most everywhere we go, oh well!

09 08_riverwalk tess

Luckily uncle Jack was there to save Tessa.  Sophie adores her uncle Jonathan, you can see why.

09 08_riverwalk jack tess 09 08_riverwalk jon soph

Jonathan was kind enough to take a picture of the ladies, thanks bud!  I think Mom and Meg must have been ahead of us and didn’t make it in the picture, Grandma Jones stayed with Jason in the shade by the Alamo and skipped the riverwalk, too much walking!  (It’s right there in the name!)

09 08_riverwalk girls

This tile art was underground on our way to the riverwalk, we were in a hurry so I didn’t get anyone to stand in the picture.  Still cool art though, do you see the Alamo?

09 08_riverwalk tile art 

This glass art was pretty sweet too.  I snapped a picture as we hurried past.

09 08_riverwalk glass art 09 08_riverwalk glass art close up

Tessa gave us (another) scare when we were walking back to our van.  She almost ran out into a busy street!  Dan and I were at the back of the group and she was at the front.  I’m so glad Jason saw her, he sprinted up and grabbed her for us.  I can’t believe she did that!  It was scary.  We had a serious talk afterwards. 

09 08_riverwalk group

That is one thing we don’t beat around the bush, in desperation I’ve told my kids that if they don’t hold my hand in the street the cars can’t see them and could hit and hurt them so bad that they wouldn’t get to live with Mom and Dan anymore!  Extreme?  Probably, but sometimes you have to make your point BIG and scare them into submission, there are just some things I don’t think you can mess around about.  Is there a better way to handle that?  I’m open to suggestions.

Swimming in the dark

We went and checked into the condos.  They were SO NICE!  Thanks Mom and Dad!!  The kids had their hearts set on swimming, by the time we made our way down there, it was dark.  But they didn’t care.  Tessa is a ham for the camera lately, but Sophie refuses sometimes.  She was having too much fun in the floatees grandma Q brought.

09 08_swimming tess 09 08_swimming soph

Poor little Elliott got really sick, her fever soared over 103 degrees!  She tried to have fun but you could tell she felt horrible.  Poor girl! (and parents)

09 08_swimming josh elliott meg

My mom, crawling with grandkids, just how she likes it! They love her. Notice that she is getting in her exercise at the same time, she was kicking back and forth across the pool.  She’s amazing.

09 08_swimming dean mom tess

And that was just a half day!  I can’t believe all we did.  More to come…

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

such great pictures! You are so good! Its like doing it all over again!