Having my 1st child was a big deal (of course) totally changed my life. I had to learn to be self-less and put someone else's needs above my own, ALL THE TIME. I’d put other’s needs before my own at times but never full-time before I became a mother. It was a big adjustment to sacrifice sleep, time, and all of my energy to helping another. But everyone expects that, right? Sure, we don’t know WHAT we are getting ourselves into, no one can prepare you for the demands on your body, mind, and psyche. But we do know that it’s going to be a big change.
Having my 2nd child was much more difficult than I anticipated. I was overly confident. I had what you call mommy-neisia, I forgot how hard it was. I figured that, hey, I’ve done this before, I KNOW what I am getting myself into! I thought it would be easier than the 1st child because I knew better what I was doing, how to care for a newborn. Well, Tessa came and rocked my world. I discovered that having 2 children wasn’t twice as hard as one, it was exponentially more difficult for me than one. I had to learn to multitask and share myself with both children. I constantly felt like I couldn’t possibly meet BOTH of their needs at the same time, some one was always being left out or neglected. I didn’t want Sophie to have to wait while I nursed Tessa for me to get her a snack, that didn’t seem fair and I couldn’t let baby Tessa cry because I was getting Sophie something. So, Sophie, Tessa, and I cried a lot, until I figured things out.
Having my 3rd child I was prepared for the worst. I KNEW it would be really hard and that it would stretch me to my limits. I planned on disaster. But it has been so much easier! Not only do I know how to care for my newborn, but I am an experienced multitasker. And my girls are used to waiting for mom’s help, they’ve been doing it for 2 and a half years! I planned on Tessa acting up (as Sophie did) but she hasn’t! Not anymore than usual anyway.
I am so proud of my girls and how they’ve really stepped up and been so great! They are such great helpers and love their brother dearly. I hear, “Baby brother is SO CUTE!” many many many times each day, because they just adore him. The thing that I am better at this time is savoring the time. With Sophie I think I was just surviving and barely keeping my head above water sometimes. I was just reacting all the time to her needs and trying to keep her happy. I found myself hoping she would reach the next milestone sooner because I thought it would make my life easier.
But with Jacob I know it will go too fast and I try to eat up all the time we have. I appreciate him, his small little hands and the little grunts and whimper sounds that only a newborn can make. We are loving this special time!
Here’s Jacob ready for his 1st week at church at 5 weeks old. I didn’t anticipate it, but I think his shirt makes him look like Fred Flinstone. I love it though, I am sure all the lady babies were making eyes at Jacob at church, he’s so handsome.
6 comments:
Okay, I totally agree with you about three kids! I also think the 3rd is easier because the other two are already used to playing with one another. BTW he is SO handsome! I love his hair, it is incredible
You are such a good mom! All of your kids are well cared for and adorable! I love Jacob's tie. He looks more like Syndrome than Fred to me. I thought that #4 was the hardest, but only when I tried to go anywhere.
I'm glad three hasn't been so bad! Three was what really killed us, but I think it just depends on the kids. He is adorable and so are your girls! They are just getting so big!
I so appreciated this candid post. I often think that amongst the really adorable photos and milestone memories, we loose the "reality check" in blogging. I'm so happy to hear that you all are adjusting well. What a beautiful addition he is to your sweet family. Love his hair!!!
I'm glad to hear it's been better. My sister said her 3rd was easier too. I don't know if I'm ready yet. He's so cute! I hope things continue to go well.
He is so cute! I'm glad that it's going well. My third was harder. When I had my second, my first was old enough to get snacks and help out. When I had my third, Harrison wasn't even two yet. He still needed help with so many things, and while Lily did her best I didn't want to pit too much responsibility on her.
You have such a cute family! I love his hair!
Post a Comment