Friday, December 18, 2009

Cherry Cricket, Cousin Caitlyn, and Cris Cringle

I know I cheated to get my title all starting with C’s… for shame.

misc - cherry cricket groupmisc - cherry cricket Tessa menu misc cherry cricket Sophie menu

We had a fun last weekend when my Cousin Caityln came to Denver with her two friends (Brock and Erika)for a post-finals vacation.  They crashed in our living room for a few nights and I must say they went WAY out of their way to make sure they weren’t “imposing.”  They wouldn’t eat any of our food, they folded all their blankets and sheets every morning and put them away, they even brought their own TOWELS!!  Crazy.  Caitlyn was so cute she’d text me and tell me when to expect them home at night and where they were, just so I wouldn’t worry or wonder.  I am sure I wasn’t that mature and considerate at their age.  Anyway, we ate at the Cherry Cricket one night which is always a treat, we love their burgers.  Interesting fact: the Cherry Cricket was featured on the Food Network this year, so good.  Glad you came guys!

Also last weekend, we attended our totally ROCKIN’ ward Christmas Party!  Seriously though, it was a lot of fun.  Notice my girls’ cute matching skirts, they were made by their Auntie Ann.  Thanks again Ann!

ward cmas party - gingerbread house ward cmas party - Sophie pinata watching

The gingerbread house was the only picture I took of the food.  But we had traditional turkey and potatoes on one side and then the other 3 sides of the gym were lined with food from around the world.  Our ward is fortunate to have so much cultural diversity and so many great cooks!  I didn’t even touch the turkey, and really enjoyed all the cool dishes from Thailand, Sweden, England, Mexico, Brazil, Germany… to name a few.  A Mexican family in our ward made a piñata for the kids and they loved it! 

 ward cmas party - Sophie pinata ward cmas party - Sophie arms around

Sophie has a deep love for Kris Cringle, she talks about him a lot and cries out in joy at every decoration or picture of the jolly old fellow.  So when he appeared at the party she screamed, “It’s Santa” and ran across the room and stopped about 3 feet away, she kept smiling and nodding her head but backed away slowly.  With Daddy nearby she sat on his lap.  Tessa didn’t cry but wouldn’t stop starring, I think she was leery of his whole getup.

 ward cmas party - on santa's lap

Sophie Story:  On our way out to the car afterwards, Sophie was searching the sky for Santa saying, “Up, up and AWAY!”  Just like he says on Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie.  There is no doubt in her mind, and she fully expected to see him on his way home as well.

Speaking of Santa… I read some really interesting blog posts this week.  One was from a mother (friend of a friend) who has decided to take Santa out of their Christmas and focus on Christ only.  The other was from a friend (also a mother) who thinks you can do both; have the magic of Santa and celebrate Christ’s birth. They are both really well written and I suggest reading them if you’re interested.  I must admit that I have a twinge of guilt when I tell Sophie Santa is bringing her presents on Christmas.  We also talk about Disney Princess like they are real people… but I don’t feel bad about that.  No question about it, Christ is the center of Christmas and should be the heart of our celebration.  His birth is the most important event that has ever occurred (along with His life, death, and resurrection).  What do you think about this?   Should we take Santa out of Christmas?

6 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

NO!! I don't think we should ever even think about taking Santa out of Christmas!! That is so sad to even think about. I love Santa...he is so magical and makes it so fun for kids (and adults!). I definitely think you can do both. In my house growing up, we had a "Santa" tree and a "Jesus" tree...we would do things for both. Of course Christ is "the reason for the season" but I think you can definitely have both...

Miss J. said...

I think you can have both if you remind people of the true Spirit of Christmas. There is a wonderful book called "I Believe in Santa Claus". It's green and you can find it at Deseret Book. It actually shows you how the different aspects of Santa are symbolic of Christ. Danny and I are going to make it a tradition that we read that book every year, both now and when we have kids, to remind us of the true spirit of Christmas.

mommaquincy said...

I think that you are Santa to her and that its okay to say Santa is bringing presents, but I don't think you should ever lie to your kids about him. When you and your siblings asked me about Santa, I asked what you thought, that way if you wanted to believe you could. I think you have to work hard at reminding them of Christ, sadly the Santa stuff seems to take center stage without a lot of work.

Summer said...

No, The magic of Santa is amazing. Plus how boring would Christmas be. Christ is amazing and is the center. But Santa doesn't just represent presents but giving and hope and faith in something bigger than you.

Crafty Momma said...

A good question to contemplate! I too find myself feeling guilty about telling Delia santa will bring presents. But Santa has been around for a very long time and is traditional. Remember the story of how santa claus came about. A man who wanted to bring joy to children that didn't really have any in their life. He thought that a simple toy maybe would help lift their spirits(although the toys today are far from simple) But that Santa teaches us the spirit of giving not getting...so as he gives to us, we should give to others. Which will help incorporate the "giving" aspect of christmas. If we all focus on the "giving" part whether it be gifts santa gives or the ultimate gift heavenly father gave, our savior..the christmas spirit will still stay true to our hearts. And of course if your child chooses not to believe in santa then respect that...but make sure they always stay focused on the giving. And it would be hard growing up as a child without santa at christmas time when all the other children around them do. I feel bad for the "Jahova's Witness" kids who have no choice! You just have to find the right kind of focus and I think all the traditional things about Holidays can sill be focused about our Savior or the good things. I love the skirts on your girls BTW..so cute!

Jessica Daly said...

Lindsay showed me the picture of our Gingerbread house.. Thank you sooo much for blogging it! It really made my day! :)